Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Riding with spouse

So I finally got a spyder. I got the F3 and it was no easy feat talking my wife into letting me get one. She has taken a few short rides with me around town and seems to enjoy it. I would LOVE for her to get her own F3 and her and I do some longer rides......even day rides would be fun. I live out in the middle of nowhere in Montana and there are tons of places to ride out here where there is virtually no traffic. My question is to those of you who ride with your spouses or significant others. Do you ride two up or on separate bikes? What are the pros and cons of both and what do your partners prefer? I would love nothing better than to get my wife a spyder next year and for us to ride to the Glacier national park or the black hills or beartooth pass etc. Thanks for any info or insight you can give me. If I can't get my wife to ride with me I guess I will have to wait until my 10 yr. old boy is old enough to ride......He LOVES riding with me now. Anybody ride with their kids??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife always wanted to be chauffeured. She wanted her camera, and drink, and intercom.
    Because I was responsible for BOTH our safety, I took the driving responsibility seriously.
    With one machine you cut risk in 1/2, for breakdown OR accident.
    I know you folks will work it out. Happy Ryding.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The only downside to having your spouse ride his/her own machine is your gas mileage gets cut in half. But I'm fine with that!
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Bit confused...

you say it was tough getting this one by her...what was the objection..?? Ryding double and each on their own are totally different. It will depend mostly on the wife. Mine loves ryding with me and does it well. Talks about driving but thats it. Looks like you both need more travel time before you get another...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    you say it was tough getting this one by her...what was the objection..?? Ryding double and each on their own are totally different. It will depend mostly on the wife. Mine loves ryding with me and does it well. Talks about driving but thats it. Looks like you both need more travel time before you get another...
    What are the main differences as you see them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You said that you would love for her to have her own Spyder but how does she feel about it? If she isn't excited about it on her own, you can love it all you want but it isn't going to change how she feels.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I used the sneaky method. Got Akspyderlady on the by having her ride with me. We did 10,000 miles that summer. By summers end, I got her to try riding the herself. Fortunately, I had two wheels for myself at the time.

The next season I traded in the two wheels and got her a for herself.

We both have extra padding and it was sometimes uncomfortable for me and my bad back for us to ride two up. A for each solved our problems.

As mentioned above, the only problem we now have is twice the gas for all our rides. If money is not an issue, separate 's are the way to go IMO.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Only one downside to my wife riding as a passenger... She can see the speedometer. Nuf said.
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HIspyder View Post
    Only one downside to my wife riding as a passenger... She can see the speedometer. Nuf said.
    Have a little fun if you dare. Switch the speedo from miles to KM prior to boarding. When your going 62 mph the speedo will say 100. If your on those famous 50 mph Kauai roads--should be about 90 KM or so.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If we are going long distance my wife prefers to follow in the car and then ride in the area when we get there. She will ride short trips with me but not longer ones. When we were shopping for our Spyder she talked about being able to drive it herself but other then run it around the block once that hasn't happened.So I would say that be sure the wanting the 2nd Spyder is her idea not yours.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I ride two up, though she has her endorsement and can ride if needed. But she prefers to stay on the back.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been trying for years to get my Missus into the "Front Chair"...
    She's also happy being Chauffeured around, and I've had to accept that.
    If she had her own bike; I'd worry about her... probably the same way that she worries about me, when I'm out of sight....
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I both own two wheelers. And we own a Spyder. Sometimes we ride separately, sometimes we ride two up on two wheels, sometimes we ride two up on three wheels. When we ride two up sometimes I am in front, sometimes she is. It all comes down to personal choices. When we first started off, she told me that she would never be able to ride her own. I eventually got her to take the MSF course because learning how to ride a motorcycle would make her a better passenger and give her knowledge of how to take care of the situation should I be incapacitated for some reason. She completed the MSF course and immediately asked when we could go to a bike store.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My wife has always enjoyed being the passenger. She has her own snowmobile and ATV and has her endorsement for the Spyder. She has driven the Spyder and does like it, but not enough to have one of her own, which I wish she would. Then I could go back to 2 wheels.
    Had a GL1800 for 13 years and rode all over the country. She would read, sleep or just enjoy the scenery. She also understands that riding a machine solo is much easier than two up......yet she wants to stay on the pillion.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My wife has no interest in riding her own bike, regardless of brand. Give your spouse or sig other a chance to figure that out, before pressuring them to ride. Not everyone wants to be their own driver.

Spyder Garage

Default riding with spouse

My wife was fine riding two up and then decided it would be a good idea if she got her indorsment incase I got sick or hurt when we were touring. Her girlfried had a sprder and they went out to some abandon parking lots and she taught Ellie how to ride as my wife had never riden a motorcycle by herself, she had crashed her bicycle several years ago and ended up in the hospital and had no desire to ride two wheels. after putting 1,200 miles on our RTS she took it in for an oil change and bought her own. So she started riding at 64 a year ago last August and has 22,000 miles on her RTS Limited. So the morale of the story is dont let your wife take your bike in for an oil change. And she get to shop for cool stuff to wear !
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
    My wife has no interest in riding her own bike, regardless of brand. Give your spouse or sig other a chance to figure that out, before pressuring them to ride. Not everyone wants to be their own driver.
    Although she will admit that she wishes that the ride was warmer back there...
    I keep telling her that she only needs her permit, to take the ride from up front!

Spyder Garage

Thanks for all the replies!! I guess the moral of the story is gonna be to be patient and let the wife decide for herself if she wants to get her own bike or not. In the meantime I will try to enjoy the spyder as much as I can by myself and with her when she wants to go for a ride......

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by marcojolo View Post
    So I finally got a spyder. I got the F3 and it was no easy feat talking my wife into letting me get one. She has taken a few short rides with me around town and seems to enjoy it. I would LOVE for her to get her own F3 and her and I do some longer rides......even day rides would be fun. I live out in the middle of nowhere in Montana and there are tons of places to ride out here where there is virtually no traffic. My question is to those of you who ride with your spouses or significant others. Do you ride two up or on separate bikes? What are the pros and cons of both and what do your partners prefer? I would love nothing better than to get my wife a spyder next year and for us to ride to the Glacier national park or the black hills or beartooth pass etc. Thanks for any info or insight you can give me. If I can't get my wife to ride with me I guess I will have to wait until my 10 yr. old boy is old enough to ride......He LOVES riding with me now. Anybody ride with their kids??
    I tried riding two up with my wife but something happens in the rear of the bike when i do. I get a terrible squawk and whine when she is back there. I haven't figured out what it is yet

Spyder Garage

We bought our Spyder 3 years ago and at the time my wife suggested we get an SE5 so that in the event she wanted to drive that would be possible. Since then she has never even tried to drive it, much less think about getting her endorsement. Maybe that will change (but I doubt it) since I got sick on our trip earlier this summer and we ended up spending a few days in Branson while I was in the hospital. She had to take a cab back and forth to the hospital from our motel. One of the reasons she said she might learn to drive was so she could drive in case I was someway incapacitated. So I will repeat what others have said; before making the investment be sure she is 100% on board with it and you are not making the purchase to satisfy yourself. That being said, we ride 2-up on an annual trip of from 3K-7K miles in addition to some local rides. She sleeps or just enjoys the scenery. Sleeping isn't a real problem (she has arm rests to hold her in) but it can be a bit annoying having her helmet hit the back of mine and having her leaning forward against me.

Spyder Garage

Default dog trailer

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    My wife was fine riding two up and then decided it would be a good idea if she got her indorsment incase I got sick or hurt when we were touring. Her girlfried had a sprder and they went out to some abandon parking lots and she taught Ellie how to ride as my wife had never riden a motorcycle by herself, she had crashed her bicycle several years ago and ended up in the hospital and had no desire to ride two wheels. after putting 1,200 miles on our RTS she took it in for an oil change and bought her own. So she started riding at 64 a year ago last August and has 22,000 miles on her RTS Limited. So the morale of the story is dont let your wife take your bike in for an oil change. And she get to shop for cool stuff to wear !
    Totally off the subject; what type of dog trailer do you have??

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by marcojolo View Post
    Thanks for all the replies!! I guess the moral of the story is gonna be to be patient and let the wife decide for herself if she wants to get her own bike or not. In the meantime I will try to enjoy the spyder as much as I can by myself and with her when she wants to go for a ride......
    Try letting her take an active role in choosing your destinations and routes.

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Well

So we both share the front seat. When we bought the Spyder I told my wife that I wouldn't buy it if she would not share the driving duties. Now we find the front seat is a bit crowded. We keep thinking about another Spyder........just not sure we have another $30,0000.00 lying around!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You don't have to have the money laying around; that's what good credit ratings are for!

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default True

My problem is that I have really good credit and I could pick up the phone and buy one.....still have to make those monthly payments!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.