Spyder Garage

Default trailer control module

After diagnosing my, power out of trailer plug with key off, as a failed module, my service advisor asked for the vin of my trailer. I told him I do not have a Spyder trailer, I asked why did he want the trailer vin. He said there is a recall on the wiring harness on some of the Can Am trailers. Does any one know what this recall is about.
    It also strikes me that a wiring fault down stream of the module should not destroy the module. Blow a fuse ok but not burn out an expensive item.
    Any thoughts. on how to protect the module.
    Tks Allen
    The Spyder is a 2014 STS

Spyder Garage

Default Starting to see a pattern

Fyi no facts or personal expierance, good deal electrial knowledge. Looks & sounds like BRP has trailer module paired with only BRP trailers. If you had room to put in line fuse between trailer & module that could protect it more, but otherwise the stock fuses protect battery & wire harness. My understanding is trailer plugs directly into module, they offer a 4pin adapter for pulling trailer behind something other than spyder no module needed. I plan on investigating what I can with techs im friendly with. If not BRP trailer the light load may be too much for module, as most are not LED.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default trailer mode on st

I regularly use trailer mode on my st when towing - nb not can am hitch, not can am trailer, not can am wiring... So trailer mode is definitely not linked to brp trailer & etc.

In my opinion the wiring on the bike is at fault, not on the trailer. Look forward to hearing what you discover...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Allensr View Post
    After diagnosing my, power out of trailer plug with key off, as a failed module, my service advisor asked for the vin of my trailer. I told him I do not have a Spyder trailer, I asked why did he want the trailer vin. He said there is a recall on the wiring harness on some of the Can Am trailers. Does any one know what this recall is about.
    It also strikes me that a wiring fault down stream of the module should not destroy the module. Blow a fuse ok but not burn out an expensive item.
    Any thoughts. on how to protect the module.
    Tks Allen
    The Spyder is a 2014 STS
    The most likely cause of isolator module failure is a loose connection in the trailer wiring. With a small chance it was just a bad module. So you most likely need to fix your trailer.

From what I understand from what others have posted. A bad/intermittent ground on the BRP trailer cause module failure. The recall was to fix that.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Default Double Check your trailer

I would double check your trailing ground wire. I was burning out modules when mine was not grounded correctly. after it was grounded the proper way never had another issue.

Spyder Garage

Default module

thanks for all the responses. I checked my wiring in trailer and found out there is about 123.ma draw on each leg. used a 12 volt battery and put my amp meter in line. The ground on trailer wiring is floating. No connection to chassis of trailer, good ground
    on each leg, one ground for all three circutes. The lights are all LED. It i put power to each leg and ground, as i did testing , all lights work as they should. I have a Can Am to std 4 wire adapter. Remember all worked well for a few day and then the power with out key on occurred.
    Why would the bad ground on the spyder trailer cause a module failure unless it was feeding power back in? Could I directly hook my trailer lights to the Spyder? Is the wiring on the Spyder able to support additional set of LED lights on their wiring?
    I hope to have my STS back next week, when they get a module in. As an aside I was told it would not be covered under warranty. less than 2000mi. and just a few months old ,because I'm not using a Can Am trailer. I believe there is a law that says unless the accessory can be shown to have caused the failure the company is responsible to honor the warranty. We will see how that pans out.

Spyder Garage

Default next move

My Spyder is having the new module installed tomorrow. I hope to get it back for the weekend. The dog is getting very impatient to hit the road.

Spyder Garage

Default Ground

Independent ground sound like good fix, peace of mind at the least. Expecting trailer ball to have proper connection is good for theory but not on road. Have added extra ground wires & clamps to all my trailers for my truck to use. But my truck has lot more metal to clamp to

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Allensr;1046814]My Spyder is having the new module installed tomorrow. I hope to get it back for the weekend. The dog is getting very impatient to hit the road.[/QUOTEI'm on my third power module for reasons similar to yours. This time I had the tech ground both the new module to the Spyder and the trailer to itself. This seems to work. As far as warranty coverage being denied, that's bovine excreta! However if the module is more than 90 days old BRP might win. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

Default lattest

Spyder picked up late fri. New module installed under warranty. We are on the road. Sitting in Alpine TX getting ready to ride around Fort Davis tomorrow. The ride from Austin has been great except ran out of gas at about 140 mi. The reason and story posted in ST touring thread. Again thanks for all the comments.

Spyder Garage

Default module failure no. 2

Stillriding please check your PM I could use a call from you.
    Second module failed,in a different way. Some time during the four day trip the trailer lights were not working right. The ride was great.