Spyder Garage

Default Removing battery 2014 rts

Was curious on how difficult it is to remove, and reinstall later, the battery in a 2014 rts. I'm going to store and bring battery in so I can put on a tender, as the location of storage has no power to hook up a tender. I read from a post earlier from cuznjohn that he had a real bad time getting his battery back in. Still don't know how that all worked out.

Thanks in advance for any advice
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Spyder Garage

You'll find the information on pages 130-131 of your operator's guide.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

You can avoid the hassle and use the 12v plug in the back with an adaptor for your tender and by moving one fuse in the fuseblock upfront so that the plug is unswitched rather than a switched circuit. Lamonster has a video on how to do this

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

if you follow the instructions in the manual and take your time it is not that difficult to remove and replace.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Battery removal is NOT described in manual

I always try to be self sufficient and do my homework,prior to posting. I was reading the post below and thought I would see if there was more to,the removal and reinstall. The suggestions to read pages 130-131 of the manual have no mention of removal of the battery, just how to recharge the battery while its in the spyder and I can't do that in my scenario as my storage space has no power available.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...attery+removal
    2022 RT Limited Dark Hyper Silver
    2014 RT-S Pearl White
    2010 BRP 622 Trailer Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Here's the formula, good luck

Founnd this in an older post.

A few hints when installing the battery in a 2014 RT Limited:
     If required, charge battery prior to installation
     Make sure key ignition is off
     Open front trunk
     Unzip liner & remove fiberglass cover at front of battery compartment (2-screws at top)
     Push both cables aside as much as possible
     Push rubber band (at bottom of battery compartment) aside
     Place battery in its compartment (WITHOUT the plate). Note: Battery is quite heavy. Standing with both feet on the ground & bending over might work better for you opposed to lifting/placing battery while kneeling on the floor.
    Install the plate at the top of the battery. Note: The (2) tabs at the back of the plate must fit into the (2) hidden slots. Use mirror & flashlite to ensure proper placement.
     After battery plate is in-place, hook rubber band (at bottom of battery compartment) onto front of plate
     Connect cables
     Re-install front cover
     Zip up liner & close front trunk
     Done

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2dogs View Post

 Open front trunk
     Unzip liner & remove fiberglass cover at front of battery compartment (2-screws at top)
     Place battery in its compartment (WITHOUT the plate). Note: Battery is quite heavy. Standing with both feet on the ground & bending over might work better for you opposed to lifting/placing battery while kneeling on the floor.
    Install the plate at the top of the battery. Note: The (2) tabs at the back of the plate must fit into the (2) hidden slots. Use mirror & flashlite to ensure proper placement.
     After battery plate is in-place, hook rubber band (at bottom of battery compartment) onto front of plate
     Connect cables
     Re-install front cover
     Done
    I like the detail. Thanks for looking it up and posting again.

-Bill
    2019 Black F3-T

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    You'll find the information on pages 130-131 of your operator's guide.
    It looks as if pages 132-133 might actually be the appropriate ones...
    (At least that's what I'm seeing here...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

 Open front trunk
     Connect cables
     Re-install front cover
     Done
    Now that's an answer!
    2014 RT-SE6
    Akrapovic Sport Touring 3C Silencer
    High Mount Third Brake Light
    Kuryakyn Black ISO Motorcycle Grips
    LaMonster Spyderdock
    LED’s everywhere!
    Russell Day-Long w/ Backrest
    Seal Floorboards
    Spyderpops Bump Skid
    Spyderpops KOTT Grill (Keep Out The Trash)
    Squared Away Alignment

Riding taught me why dogs stick their heads out the window!

Spyder Garage

 Open front trunk
     Connect cables
     Re-install front cover
     Done
    Nicely done write-up. Wish I'd thought of the "mirror + flashlight" last week - LOL

Spyder Garage

Default battery removal

I remove mine every fall and install it every spring to keep it warm and charged over winter. Very easy to do and only takes a couple of minutes to remove or install.

Spyder Garage

Default Just replaced mine on a 2016 ltd

The battery died about two weeks ago. Tried to charge it but no luck. Heat came in with humidity so it sat after trying to charge it up.

Came out pretty easy but I didn't find this thread until afterward. The earlier advice would have been good as far as clamping it down prior to attaching cables. I didn't do that at first and I had to disconnect after getting it running. The good about that was I could ride it out of my garage and into some natural light.

Trying to get the top plate attached to the bike wasn't working so I got a flashlight (didn't need outside) and a mirror. What was hanging me up was the negative cable that was siting in front of the left hand slot. Disconnected both pos and neg cables because the neg cable was pinched behind the battery.

Had I initially taken the neg. cable and moved it over to the positive side, I could have attached the positive first, then worked on the hold down plate. It went in the slots easily once I saw where the slots were. Put the band on and then ran the neg. cable back to the negative post and attached. A good sized Phillips head with a long handle made the task fairly easy.

The one thing I found in the process was the two bolts that held the cover in place were missing. Anyone know where I might find two? I guess the previous owner had taken them out and they were never replaced. I've had it for 3 1/2 years and it really didn't effect anything but if I can get a couple cheap I'll probably replace.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rothenbj View Post
    The battery died about two weeks ago. Tried to charge it but no luck. Heat came in with humidity so it sat after trying to charge it up.

Came out pretty easy but I didn't find this thread until afterward. The earlier advice would have been good as far as clamping it down prior to attaching cables. I didn't do that at first and I had to disconnect after getting it running. The good about that was I could ride it out of my garage and into some natural light.

Trying to get the top plate attached to the bike wasn't working so I got a flashlight (didn't need outside) and a mirror. What was hanging me up was the negative cable that was siting in front of the left hand slot. Disconnected both pos and neg cables because the neg cable was pinched behind the battery.

Had I initially taken the neg. cable and moved it over to the positive side, I could have attached the positive first, then worked on the hold down plate. It went in the slots easily once I saw where the slots were. Put the band on and then ran the neg. cable back to the negative post and attached. A good sized Phillips head with a long handle made the task fairly easy.

The one thing I found in the process was the two bolts that held the cover in place were missing. Anyone know where I might find two? I guess the previous owner had taken them out and they were never replaced. I've had it for 3 1/2 years and it really didn't effect anything but if I can get a couple cheap I'll probably replace.
    The top plate replacement is the issue for me. Thanks for the tips. I'll try your suggestions...

Later...I was able to reinstall the battery by first removing the terminal cables, then moving the negative cable out of the way (I held it in place using one of the cover screws as shown in one of the pics below).

Then, using a mirror, I located the slots where the hold down plate tabs are inserted. With the battery inserted into the cavity, but tilted inwards, I inserted the hold down plate tabs into the slots and folded it down so the tabs would hold.

Then, while holding the pate, I tilted the battery upright and everything stayed in place. Then I was able to stretch the rubber strap and hook it onto the hold down plate. Then, reattached the cables to the terminals.

20210406_170945.jpg20210406_173309.jpg20210406_172051.jpg
    Last edited by UtahPete; 04-06-2021 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Add pics
    2014 RTL Platinum