Spyder Garage

Default Controls backlit?

Hey Gang,

We are new to Spyder-ing. Bought our 2020 RTL last October, and we're LOVING it more and more with each new ride. However, something that is a tad bothersome to me is: what is the deal with no backlighting of the controls on the handlebars? On the left side, the round toggle button for the dashboard controls is backlit, but the headlight bright/dim, the blinker switch, the radio volume button are not back lit. ON the right handlebar, the cruise control module has a backlit ring arouund it, but nothing else. I don't do a whole lot of purposeful night riding, but, at the end of the day, it often gets dark before we get finished with the ride, and having things backlit helps at times. I have hit the horn a couple times while I was trying to feel around for the volume button.

Is there fix for this?

I am getting better with my thumb remembering where things are, but just wondering.

Thanks,

Big Lenny

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BigLenny View Post
    Hey Gang,

We are new to Spyder-ing. Bought our 2020 RTL last October, and we're LOVING it more and more with each new ride. However, something that is a tad bothersome to me is: what is the deal with no backlighting of the controls on the handlebars? On the left side, the round toggle button for the dashboard controls is backlit, but the headlight bright/dim, the blinker switch, the radio volume button are not back lit. ON the right handlebar, the cruise control module has a backlit ring arouund it, but nothing else. I don't do a whole lot of purposeful night riding, but, at the end of the day, it often gets dark before we get finished with the ride, and having things backlit helps at times. I have hit the horn a couple times while I was trying to feel around for the volume button.

Is there fix for this?

I am getting better with my thumb remembering where things are, but just wondering.

Thanks,

Big Lenny
    I like you would really love to have BRP do this , but alas those things have not been back-lit since day one. ..... They make really small LED's ( like the size of a head of a match ), so I believe it is possible. But it would involve a complete dis-assembly of that control. It doesn't annoy me enough to try doing this. .... But if it does I'll share ..... Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I like you would really love to have BRP do this , but alas those things have not been back-lit since day one. ..... They make really small LED's ( like the size of a head of a match ), so I believe it is possible. But it would involve a complete dis-assembly of that control. It doesn't annoy me enough to try doing this. .... But if it does I'll share ..... Mike
    Thanks Mike!
    I feel the same. Doesn't annoy me enough to try to disassemble and get into the who-hah of messin with that control. But, if there was an easy fix, it was gonna be worth the question.

Spyder Garage

Curious about the back lighting of the controls. I went out into my garage, lights off, plenty dark. I turned the key on both my 2019 F3L, and the 2020 F3L. Both sets of handlebar controls are back lit. They are bright orange. On the left side, the joystick, mode, and brake buttons are lit. On the right side, the cruise control buttons are lit. On the 2020, the new control panel on the gas tank, all the buttons are lit.

Currently, we do not do a lot of night riding, even though both are lit up like 18 wheelers.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARtraveler View Post
    Curious about the back lighting of the controls. I went out into my garage, lights off, plenty dark. I turned the key on both my 2019 F3L, and the 2020 F3L. Both sets of handlebar controls are back lit. They are bright orange. On the left side, the joystick, mode, and brake buttons are lit. On the right side, the cruise control buttons are lit. On the 2020, the new control panel on the gas tank, all the buttons are lit.

Currently, we do not do a lot of night riding, even though both are lit up like 18 wheelers.
    Well thanks for that bit of info ..... I'm very glad BRP woke up and fixed that issue ........ Mike