Thread: Elka shocks

Spyder Garage

Default Elka shocks

Anybody have any idea how long Elkas should last on an RT mile wise before needing to be rebuilt. Thanks in advance for any input.
    Spyderdale

Spyder Garage

I'd bet they outlast the engine.

JT

Spyder Garage

The ones on my 13 had close to 10k on them when I sold the bike. No sign of wear.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Check the Elka warranty. I believe they require a yearly rebuild for Elka to honor it should one fail. Had 'em on my 2011. Glad they didn't fail.
    Last edited by 2 Cruysyn; 10-03-2015 at 07:48 AM.

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have over 40,000 miles on mine and no leaks or problems. John looked at them during the last Spyderfest and suggested not doing anything yet. The annual rebuilding is aimed at off road tag racing, which I think has been their primary market.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderdale View Post
    Anybody have any idea how long Elkas should last on an RT mile wise before needing to be rebuilt. Thanks in advance for any input.
    Spyderdale

This year at Spyderfest I had a pair installed. John, from Elka, said I'd get about 70,000 miles before they'd need service. He did mention the yearly service was aimed at those who go off road.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

like anything (moving parts) its gonna depends on the variables. Roads, weather, loads, proper setup, etc. I have ryders who have had no problems and others failing under 10,000 miles. Granted there are always the few that slip by quality control. But they are the most often mentioned when talking shocks along with Race Tech.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2 Cruysyn View Post
    Check the Elka warranty. I believe they require a yearly rebuild for Elka to honor it should one fail. Had 'em on my 2011. Glad they didn't fail.
    That is what I was going to say.... If they are not rebuilt yearly they will not warranty them against leaks

Spyder Garage

I know 3 people locally that had them leak after a year. They did not know they needed to be serviced yearly!
    They were not too happy when they tried to get them fixed and found they were out of warranty.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I know 3 people locally that had them leak after a year. They did not know they needed to be serviced yearly!
    They were not too happy when they tried to get them fixed and found they were out of warranty.

Bob
    Bob, they had a batch of bad seals. Contact Elka, speak to John. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL