Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Something like this??

They do look like fun on steroids!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Litespeed View Post
    Always been a European kind of guy so the less crome the better although I do like the brushed Crome used on many vehicles today. We already decided we like the RT-S better with the black or gray(?) colored wheels. The white kind of looks like Suzuka Gray which is a really cool Audi color. On GPS I'd also probably just use my phone. We have factory GPS in the cars and the phones are way better in all ways. We did find a great deal on a limited but not sure it will be there by the time we are ready to jump.

I really appreciate all the encouragement and I plan to sign up for the motorcycle safety course. That way I can test drive one. I was told I could just buy one by the dealer and if I didn't like it in the first hour or two they would take it back.....doesn't sound like the logical approach to me.

The litespeed name came from my off road days of always wanting and usually being the fastest thing out there. I had a Drakart Formula Cross (100 mph, 16" wheel travel 0 to 60 in under 4 seconds.) that would beat every off road motorcycle, ATV, ATC, dune buggy ect......they would say, "there goes litespeed!" ��

The more I read and watch the more I want this thing. So even on a new one is it suggested to get this laser alignment? Right out of the gate or is this only on used or after a certain mileage or what?

Tom
    Laser alignment. Sounds strange--but out of the gate yes. The factory uses a different system and many of the laser alignment dealers find about 90% of the new 's to be off spec. Most, if they actually find one on spec--will not charge you for the alignment. Your choice, your money on that one. I was not a believer--but now I am.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Exclamation Stick to 4 wheels

So I will be a first time "street" rider if I get one. Always been kind of freaked out of street riding 2 wheeled bikes but have had dirt bikes and off road cars for almost 40 years. I think the Spyder is just what my wife and I need to enjoy some time together. First off I'd like you all to tell me how great the vehicle is and why I want one. This would be a great way to get us off the fence. In the world of texting and so many other extra curricular activities while driving I love the idea of the safer feel and safety features of the Spyders. I've read all the brochures and watched many of the videos online. I've sat on and kick tires many times......we are now getting serious. I read countless "2 wheel vs 3 wheel" debates and I'm 100% with this crowd. If I'm going to ride the Spyder will be the means.

So a couple questions would be,

Any words of wisdom for a new to street riding and new to Spyder rider?

I know I would do a 14 or newer with the larger engine but is there anything to look for if buying used?

I've seen a few cool accessories, what are the must haves?

My wife and I like to go for drives and think this could really be a fun way to spend time together. She also felt comfortable and secure on the back of the RT with the handles and back rest. Any encouragement of course while keeping it 100% honest would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in St. Charles Missouri so anyone close that would like to offer testimonial would be even that much cooler.

Thanks for reading my rambling and always enjoy the ride,

Tom
    Since your "world" involves texting and other activities while driving, it would be safer for all of us for you to remain in the relative safety of your car as you do 15 MPH under the speed limit in the left lane texting about things that are more important than the safety of the drivers and riders unfortunate enough to be trapped around you. I have seen riders texting with one hand and can't imagine what is so important. If , however, you can choose to put the phone down and look around, the "world" as seen from a Spyder is beautiful, amazing, and worthy of your complete attention. If you must stay in constant contact with the "world", there are excellent Bluetooth headsets that seamlessly allow you to listen to streaming music on your phone or say "hello" if you must. There are also "Ram X" mounts that would allow you to mount your phone where you can see it and touch it if needed. Texting from the front of a Spyder is still not recommended.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

He didn't say that...

"In the world of texting and so many other extra curricular activities while driving I love the idea of the safer feel and safety features of the Spyders."

He has lauded the safety features of the Spyder, in an environment filled with motorists who aren't paying attention.
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-02-2015 at 06:38 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default No Bob

[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1044458] He didn't say that...

"In the world of texting and so many other extra curricular activities while driving I love the idea of the safer feel and safety features of the Spyders."

He has lauded the safety features of the Spyder, in an environment filled with motorists who aren't paying attention. [/QUOTE

No Bob. I didn't say that. I suggested that he stay in his car while texting and "other" activities. The Spyder is safe. Texting while driving isn't. While I understand that you don't have enough time to read each post thoroughly and comprehend each one and still post several hundred posts a night, the "Quote" above isn't a quote. Put your cape on and read before "Quoting".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    Since your "world" involves texting and other activities while driving, it would be safer for all of us for you to remain in the relative safety of your car as you do 15 MPH under the speed limit in the left lane texting about things that are more important than the safety of the drivers and riders unfortunate enough to be trapped around you. I have seen riders texting with one hand and can't imagine what is so important. If , however, you can choose to put the phone down and look around, the "world" as seen from a Spyder is beautiful, amazing, and worthy of your complete attention. If you must stay in constant contact with the "world", there are excellent Bluetooth headsets that seamlessly allow you to listen to streaming music on your phone or say "hello" if you must. There are also "Ram X" mounts that would allow you to mount your phone where you can see it and touch it if needed. Texting from the front of a Spyder is still not recommended.
    Not cool! Suggest you take a minute and re-read!

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It was a direct cut and paste; without alteration other than a bold font and italics...
    Please take another look at it, and please skip the tone.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 10-02-2015 at 08:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default See where you're ...

Bob, I see where you are coming from. I reread. No "SNOT' intended. It's "SNOT" my style.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Oh for heavens sake.....I do NOT text and drive....I was talking about everyone else!!! Not sure why you would think anyone would actually write that they would since they would be quite the fool. I'm sure that many of us have been going down the road watching people text, surf the web and gawd knows what ever else. I can say I've never seen a biker nor a Spyder owner do any of the fore mentioned stupidity.

Here is a picture of me and a couple friends jumping at Little Sahara in Oklahoma, I'm the one in yellow!

Laser alignment is the first on my list.

Tom

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just like it, mine was yellow. Many pictures on the net if you search for litespeed and Drakart.

i miss that thing. Sold it and bought a RZR-S for my son and I....he hated it and I wanted more power.

tom

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Something like this??

They do look like fun on steroids!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a nice action shot!
    It's fun figuring out what the landing will be like, when the nose is that high in the air!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Burped View Post
    Bob, I see where you are coming from. I reread. No "SNOT' intended. It's "SNOT" my style.
    You are correct... After giving it some thought; I did edit my post, and I regret my original choice of words.
    Anybody can have an off-day; once in a while...

Spyder Garage

Default rts two thumbs up

I have owned an RTS 2014
    for one year.
    It has been very reliable.
    I really like it.
    Got it on 60 th birthday.
    Also got cuz my wife
    S husband of 43 years.
    Would ride a Harley with her
    He passed away 3 years ago.
    It is easy to handle
    I recommend the yellow/
    Gold one so u can be seen easier.
    David

So I will be a first time "street" rider if I get one. Always been kind of freaked out of street riding 2 wheeled bikes but have had dirt bikes and off road cars for almost 40 years. I think the Spyder is just what my wife and I need to enjoy some time together. First off I'd like you all to tell me how great the vehicle is and why I want one. This would be a great way to get us off the fence. In the world of texting and so many other extra curricular activities while driving I love the idea of the safer feel and safety features of the Spyders. I've read all the brochures and watched many of the videos online. I've sat on and kick tires many times......we are now getting serious. I read countless "2 wheel vs 3 wheel" debates and I'm 100% with this crowd. If I'm going to ride the Spyder will be the means.

So a couple questions would be,

Any words of wisdom for a new to street riding and new to Spyder rider?

I know I would do a 14 or newer with the larger engine but is there anything to look for if buying used?

I've seen a few cool accessories, what are the must haves?

My wife and I like to go for drives and think this could really be a fun way to spend time together. She also felt comfortable and secure on the back of the RT with the handles and back rest. Any encouragement of course while keeping it 100% honest would be greatly appreciated.

I'm in St. Charles Missouri so anyone close that would like to offer testimonial would be even that much cooler.

Thanks for reading my rambling and always enjoy the ride,

Tom

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So I've been busy....did the motorcycle safety course with a perfect score, got my M endorsement and took a RT-S for a 30 mile ride with my wife on back. She really loved it and I found it very relaxing in a therapeutic kind of way.

Looks like we we are going back tonight to do some dealing....... Wish me luck for a great deal and a great toy!

tom

Spyder Garage

Default Rider Education is Key

I wholeheartedly agree with the "Ride Life You're Invisible" concept. Assuming that folks cannot (or will not) see you can be a lifesaver. While very new to the Spyder family - I have had my 2015 RT-S for a whole month now! - I've had a motorcycle license for a long time, and am also a very active co-rider on my hubby's GL1800, so I know how ignorant folks in cars can be. They just aren't used to looking out for motorcycles.

I also agree with others about the advantage of joining a riding group, IF, and that's a very big IF, it is a group that focuses on safe riding & increasing rider knowledge, and NOT riding from one bar to another, or only rides in Poker Runs. We joined the local GWRRA chapter not because we had a goldwing since less than half the folks in the chapter own a wing, (they're on Harleys, BMWs, CanAms, Yamahas, Suzukis, etc.), we joined because of all the FREE training classes. Group Riding, Night Riding, Extreme temp riding, Riding tips for Mature riders, Dealing with Distracted drivers, how to pack for travel, even classes designed specifically for the co-rider. And the advanced MSF courses that can cost hundreds are usually only $40-$50 bucks. Best of all is that those classes can also be attended by your wife too. It's what helps makes me an active passenger when I do ride behind; I know what to look out for and can provide warning (like "Honey, be careful, the a**hole in the car next to us is texting!) . Being proactive makes me feel safer on the road. I'm sure there are other groups besides GWRRA that do the same, offering Rider Education classes, though hopefully someone else in this thread can tell you who they are as I honestly don't know.

If your wife is going to also 'drive' occasionally, and there is a significant difference in your heights, I would recommend getting the TriAxis Handlebars. I'm 5'5" and hubby is 6'4". Anytime he borrows my bike, he grabs the tool and starts raising the bars. Saves both of us significant neck and back pain. When it goes in for the 3,000 oil change next month, we're going to have the BajaRon sway bar installed and the Laser alignment done. Like you, I read a LOT of the boards and the #1 aftermarket addition seems to be the sway bar, and it makes sense to get the alignment done AFTER the sway bar is installed. Of course, come January, it will be FARKLE time!

In the meantime, welcome to the family, and if you want to install anything yourself, you'll find find some really awesome installation videos on these boards.

Spyder Garage

Oh for heavens sake.....I do NOT text and drive....I was talking about everyone else!!! Not sure why you would think anyone would actually write that they would since they would be quite the fool. I'm sure that many of us have been going down the road watching people text, surf the web and gawd knows what ever else. I can say I've never seen a biker nor a Spyder owner do any of the fore mentioned stupidity.

Here is a picture of me and a couple friends jumping at Little Sahara in Oklahoma, I'm the one in yellow!

Laser alignment is the first on my list.

Tom
    I want to know how you managed to text while doing that and do they really have cell service there?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Hi Tom,
    i wont repeat what you've already heard several times on this thread. It's sound advice, but I'd point out that MSF training is designed for maneuvers specific to two wheeled bikes, and unless they've added a three wheel curiculum, much of it wont apply.

i suggest you order David Hough' s book "Street Strategies". It will give you numerous tips on street riding. The name of his other book on the subject escapes me right now, but I'd buy both. Both are illustrated with photos and diagrams.

i suggest you not worry about accessories. After you buy, you'll see tons of them on other bikes, and reading and asking questions will help avoid buyer's regret about accessories down the line. The only exception is intercom and/or bike to bike communication. I have and like the Cardo G9s, but the Sena units are more compatible with the bike's electronics, specifically the blue tooth dongle. Most members here feel the Can Am CB option is a waste of money.

There's little difference between the LTD and "S" models except for chrome and GPS. If you want GPS, it's cheaper and easier to get it at the time of purchase.

i wish you luck and safe riding, whatever you decide.
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Spyder Garage

Default MSF does Trike and CanAms

Quote Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
    Hi Tom,
    i wont repeat what you've already heard several times on this thread. It's sound advice, but I'd point out that MSF training is designed for maneuvers specific to two wheeled bikes, and unless they've added a three wheel curiculum, much of it wont apply.

I know for a fact that there are both MSF and GWRRA Trike-specific courses (in Virginia at the very least if not nationwide yet), though one difference is that the MSF VA course includes Side Cars and the GWRRA has a separate class for sidecars. But both trike courses do included CanAms. A friend with a Harley trike just paid $185 for his Trike class through MSF (he couldn't make the scheduled date for the GWRRA one), and there were CanAms in his class. That is one advantage to the MSF run courses - they are usually monthly depending on the area; smaller groups like GWRRA tend to do them once or twice a year. However, I am not sure if MSF does an ADVANCED/EXPERIENCED Trike Course. The type of course you take after you ridden for a bit to test your new skills and see where you need to learn.

but go here: http://www.msf-usa.org/Default.aspx to see what additional courses are offered in your area.

Spyder Garage

Good to know! Thanks for the info.
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac