Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 RT Tires

Spyder Garage

I recently put a new rear tire on my 2014 RT. I didn't want to go through the hassle of ordering a tire online and then figuring out how to take the tire off and then taking it somewhere. So I just had the dealer put a stock tire on. When I went to pick it up he told me that next time if I want a Kuhmo tire to just buy it and bring it in and he'll put it on for me. He knows it is not what BRP wants but he doesn't see the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tony
    2014 RT

Mods: Adjustable side wind deflectors; Adjustable vented windshield; Rear and front trunk lights; Replaced the foot pegs with Web Boards; Gerbing heater controls; Garmin Zumo 390LM GPS; Fog lights; Front headlamp accent lights; Replaced the standard fender light bulbs with LEDs; BumpSkid; Frunk insert and stripes from WrapMySPyder; BajaRon Swaybar; Laser alignment.

Spyder Garage

Now there is a dealer who understands customer service and realizes if you are not in his store you aren't spending money there.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jthornton View Post
    I agree it's a mess. Just to ramble on a bit if you think about it as soon as you have more than 2 wheels the vehicle is the same as every other vehicle with 3 or more wheels no matter what label has been attached to the vehicle.
    Yes, but. There is one important factor that I haven't seen any objective discussion about, or data, and that's the gripping power of the various tires. The resistance, or gripping, force that prevents sliding or spinning depends on three factors, the coefficient of friction of the tire to the road, the contact area, and the weight of the vehicle. It would be good to see some data about these factors comparing a typical car tire to the Kendas. Then there is hydroplaning resistance. That depends on tire and tread configuration, contact patch size, and weight. Add objective information about hydroplaning resistance to objective info about gripping power and then we'd have something really concrete to discuss besides mileage and anecdotal experience.

The motorcycle world really needs an objective party free of bias in favor of one tire or the other to do an evaluation. The problem is the result is going to contradict someone's strongly held viewpoint and they will scream to high heaven. Would those of us who argue car tires are the way to go be willing to be told we are wrong! I don't think so. Neither would BRP engineers, or Kenda engineers, or Goodyear engineers! The only hope is some car tire company is able to take one of their production tires and demonstrates it will work quite well on a motorcycle.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The highest rated car tire in Tire Rack's tests is the General Altimax RT-43. Not saying that transfers completely but it's good enough for me. Waiting for these tests by a tire Co. On a Spyder may be futile. I will try it the next time I need a rear tire. In the 215/60/15 size of course.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) pslawing's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm needing another rear tire for my 2012 RT. Been searching posts, some say
    Michelin Primacy 215/60/15
    Or
    Kumho Ecsta AST
    225/50R-15 91H BSW
    And General Altimax RT-43 T-rated 215/60-15

So Which is the best? Runs good in rain etc and last awhile?

Thanks for your thoughts