Spyder Garage

Default Laser Alignment and Swaybar

I have just purchased a 2015 RTS SE6 which is my first journey into Spyderdom. It sounds like a laser alignment and sway bar should be high on my list of first mods and I have a couple questions First, where does one get a laser alignment performed? Second, is the sway bar a home garage project or one that should be done by the dealer?

BTW, seems like a great bunch here on the forum. Thanks for any input that you can provide.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I have just purchased a 2015 RTS SE6 which is my first journey into Spyderdom. It sounds like a laser alignment and sway bar should be high on my list of first mods and I have a couple questions First, where does one get a laser alignment performed? Second, is the sway bar a home garage project or one that should be done by the dealer?

BTW, seems like a great bunch here on the forum. Thanks for any input that you can provide.

If you are good at wrenching, have all the tools, and the proper lift, you can install the sway bar yourself. An experienced mechanic can do it in an hour for $90-100.

As far as Laser Alignment..... IF you need it you can find a local dealer on the SpyderComfort website http://spydercomfort.com/dealers.htm

Squared Away in Las Vegas is one of the sponsors here, if you're anywhere near there. They do laser alignments AND install the sway bar.

Pam
    Last edited by Pampurrs; 09-24-2015 at 08:53 PM.

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

You can check with your dealer. Almost any dealer will install the sway bar & improved heim links that go with it. Many dealers are now equipped to do laser alignments. My dealer did both for me.

The link that Pam gave you above lists both Spyder dealers and after-market vendors for the lazer alignment.
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-24-2015 at 09:56 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post

If you are good at wrenching, have all the tools, and the proper lift, you can install the sway bar yourself. An experienced mechanic can do it in an hour for $90-100.

As far as Laser Alignment..... IF you need it you can find a local dealer on the SpyderComfort website http://spydercomfort.com/dealers.htm

Squared Away in Las Vegas is one of the sponsors here, if you're anywhere near there. They do laser alignments AND install the sway bar.

Pam
    Thanks for the link. I haven't yet thrown a leg over the bike and will see how it is before spending any $$. Just seems like everything that I have read about setting up a Spyder for 2 up touring has included those 2 items.

I'm a reasonable wrench but I think if I can get the sway bar installed professionally for $100 that will be my route. Thanks again!

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!! Welcome..!!

to both the spyder world and this informative site..congrats on your new ryde.. once you get it broke in and feel you need the swaybar it is a job you can do yourself with the proper tools (mostly a way to raise the unit). The alignment is a good idea as not all from the factory machines are still in alignment at delivery. Check your area, its done at most all spyder events or check with Squared Away (Ann and Joe) sponsors here for when they might be in your area...be safe and enjoy...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    You can check with your dealer. Almost any dealer will install the sway bar & improved heim links that go with it. Many dealers are now equipped to do laser alignments. My dealer did both for me.

The link that Pam gave you above lists both Spyder dealers and after-market vendors for the lazer alignment.
    Was there a noticeable improvement?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Welcome, Rich. We are a long way from Georgia but we'd be happy to get you squared away! Check out the link that you were given and you should have no trouble finding someone to align your Spyder in your area. The feedback we generally get after aligning a Spyder is that it is smoother, lighter and just handles better. The combination of sway bar and alignment should be at the top of your list for handling improvements.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Baja Ron Swaybar install.

Don't forget about Swaybar links. Help the new bar do it's job by tossing the factory plastic links, and installing the billet links.

Changing the links and bar is REALLY simple. You don't need to get it 24" off the ground or anything really complex. Search this site and YouTube for the intructions for unbolting the lower portion of the frunk. With a floor jack and basic tools, I was able to change the bar and links in literally 30 minutes. Easy.

Welcome to Spyderdom! It's the most fun, ever.

Spyder Garage

Rich where are you located in Georgia? If near the eastern side of the state I can help you on both items. PM sent.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by The Governor View Post
    Don't forget about Swaybar links. Help the new bar do it's job by tossing the factory plastic links, and installing the billet links.

Changing the links and bar is REALLY simple. You don't need to get it 24" off the ground or anything really complex. Search this site and YouTube for the intructions for unbolting the lower portion of the frunk. With a floor jack and basic tools, I was able to change the bar and links in literally 30 minutes. Easy.

Welcome to Spyderdom! It's the most fun, ever.
    The Sway Bar for the 2014 and up RT's from Ron comes with the Billet links and the front has to be lifted up by at least 22 inches to get the sway bar out of the channel it is in.

Spyder Garage

Welcome. Your investment in aftermarket stuff is well worth it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post

The link that Pam gave you above lists both Spyder dealers and after-market vendors for the laser alignment.
    Not all the areas (Northern Virginia) will do laser alignment. Also the two large dealers in my area, does not like laser alignment, they dont trust them (I am not sure why).
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wengerda View Post
    Not all the areas (Northern Virginia) will do laser alignment. Also the two large dealers in my area, does not like laser alignment, they dont trust them (I am not sure why).

It isn't that they don't trust them it is more likely that they don't want to buy the equipment. BRP trusts them so why wouldn't a dealer? We had an experience last weekend while we were doing alignments in California, one of our customers had had his Spyder aligned by someone who was dead against using lasers, he did a "frame alignment", not only was this Spyder toed way out but the tires were ruined too. Funny thing was that just a week before our trip the anti laser guy purchased the equipment and is now doing laser alignments.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    It isn't that they don't trust them it is more likely that they don't want to buy the equipment. BRP trusts them so why wouldn't a dealer? We had an experience last weekend while we were doing alignments in California, one of our customers had had his Spyder aligned by someone who was dead against using lasers, he did a "frame alignment", not only was this Spyder toed way out but the tires were ruined too. Funny thing was that just a week before our trip the anti laser guy purchased the equipment and is now doing laser alignments.
    Could you please convince my two large dealers here in Northern VA to buy a laser alignment machine.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Spyder Garage

Could you please convince my two large dealers here in Northern VA to buy a laser alignment machine.
    There are none so blind as those who will not see!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for the welcome and info. My dealer said the bike is in and I'll pick it up next week. Can't wait to try it out.

After reading all the posts it looks like there's one more item that I'm going to have to add to the list... Pam, where can I get the missile system?

Spyder Garage

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Thanks to everyone for the welcome and info. My dealer said the bike is in and I'll pick it up next week. Can't wait to try it out.

After reading all the posts it looks like there's one more item that I'm going to have to add to the list... Pam, where can I get the missile system?
    Sorry, it's one of a kind

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Default Have them look it up!

BRP issued a service bulletin last year on the Rolo laser alignment system. Told the dealers to get the system; it is now the gold standard on alignment. Make them pull it up, and explain why they don't.
    Or, come to Las Vegas! We can Square you Away!😄. Joe
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

For us newbies, what are we. Looking at for cost of the alignment and swaybar. I have a 13 RT se5. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-N915V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsMD View Post
    For us newbies, what are we. Looking at for cost of the alignment and swaybar. I have a 13 RT se5. Thanks.

Depends on where you get them done. Labor rates differ between dealerships. Most independents charge 120 for laser alignment, but I have heard of dealerships charging more than 300.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Was there a noticeable improvement?
    The beefier sway bar from Bajaron made a substantial difference in counter-acting the centrifugal force in turns. I'd heartily recommend it, as most folks do here. The laser alignment did not make much difference for me, as it turned out mine was fairly well aligned to begin with. Others have reported a big improvement though after having that done.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsMD View Post

My dealer charged me $90 to install the sway bar. The tech had it finished and ready to go in 45 minutes. As far as the laser alignment, I have heard anywhere from $120-$150. Mine rides true, so I haven't taken that step yet. I will, however, have it checked whenever the opportunity presents itself.

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap

Spyder Garage

Just received the Bajaron sway bar and checked with my dealer that would be happy to install it for $140. I think I'll attempt it myself.
    Speedbump
    Prescott, Arizona
    2015 RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Speedbump View Post
    Just received the Bajaron sway bar and checked with my dealer that would be happy to install it for $140. I think I'll attempt it myself.
    One dealership here in the Phoenix area quoted me 4.5 hours labor at $90 per hour. I took it to the dealer where I purchased it 140 miles from home, and they installed it in 45 minutes at a cost of $90.00.

I later went back to the dealership that quoted me 4,5 hours and asked the service Manager why it would take them that long, when everyone else can do it in one hour. He told me (with a very straight face) that because they don't have the right kind of lift, they have to have two extra mechanics on the job to lift up the front end while the other one installs the sway bar. Visions of the three stooges popped into my head.

Pam

• Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass