Spyder Garage

Default JBC Speaker Install in both front and back of 2014 RT Syder!

Well Mike's Farkle works just fine! I installed the two sets of 5 1/4" speakers in my RT. Both in front and back! with Tweeters and Crossovers as well! The sound is much nicer, more rich, and overall it is just alot nicer! I am very happy with it. It was a bear to do it because I was afraid of taking off all the Tupperware, we took off mirrors, all the Tupperware mostly. haha, but that is no big deal, nothing to really be afraid of.

I also did the before and after videos for the sound (this was an all day job btw) and I also installed LED pods under my bike.

Before

After

I am a pretty happy camper! As you can see this is doable. I did not have to use a heat gun being we took it apart completely, we did cut the hole bigger though! That was done with a dremel tool! Easy as pie!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT SM6 with 400 miles 5/2015, 1800 8/5/2015, 3000 8/30/2015
    Farkles: Techmount Cell Phone Holder, Drink2Go Cup Holder, Hopnel Saddlebag Liner, Hopnel Trunk Liners, Hopnel 3 Lid Net Set, Utopia Backrest, MIKE'S Brake Pedal, LED Pods Lights, LED Tip Bulbs, JT's Dash Mount & Special Selfie Stick on Bike, GoPro Camera, Bajaron Sway Bar, LED Skid Plate, Belt Protector Guard, Mike's Speakers

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

... So now that the House is-a-rockin'...

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

If you put 2 ohm speaker into a system that calls for 4 ohm if you keep it turned up it WILL cook the amp. I am a Journeyman Electrician so I know the facts. Putting higher impedance speaker will not damage the amp but will result in less power out.

When matching amplifiers to loudspeakers, the output impedance of the amplifier should match that of the loudspeakers as accurately as possible, to ensure that the amplifier is able to deliver its maximum rated power. If the speaker impedance is lower than that of the amplifier's output impedance, the amplifier will be forced to work too hard, which will cause overheating and possibly failure. If the amplifier has an overload protection circuit built-in, this may operate and shut down the amplifier, either partially or completely.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1994...impedance.html

Just because you CAN do something does mean you should. By the way those are JBL not JBC speakers.
    Last edited by Magdave; 09-23-2015 at 01:20 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dave,
    Is there any way to figure out how long the amp might last under a mismatch like this?
    Or do they just "Go, until they blow"?

If you're not pushing full power through it all of the time; I assume that the system will hold together longer?

Spyder Garage

Highlights
    • Great JBL Sound Quality
    • UniPivot Tweeter Pod for smooth highs and great imaging
    • Plus One woofer cones for the high output and deep bass
    • True 4-Ohm design pulls the most power out of your system
    • Easy to install

This is in the listing where I bought the speakers, it says both 4 ohm and 2 ohm, so who knows, I am going to find out more about this part.
    Farkles: Techmount Cell Phone Holder, Drink2Go Cup Holder, Hopnel Saddlebag Liner, Hopnel Trunk Liners, Hopnel 3 Lid Net Set, Utopia Backrest, MIKE'S Brake Pedal, LED Pods Lights, LED Tip Bulbs, JT's Dash Mount & Special Selfie Stick on Bike, GoPro Camera, Bajaron Sway Bar, LED Skid Plate, Belt Protector Guard, Mike's Speakers

Spyder Garage

#1. Why does JBL ( one of the largest and foremost speaker manufactures ) sell these as direct re-placement for 4 OHM speakers?
    #2. Do you think the Techs at JBL are lying to the public to sell their product.....or has this been worked out correctly by them?
    #3. the link you posted is dated 1994. Is it still relevant? Or has something changed?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well I don't know my "amperage" from my "Ohm-Hole"...
    But what you did sure sounds great, and I wish you the best of luck with it!

Spyder Garage

Would love to do this. Butt, don't have the wherewithall to do it. Nice sound! Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beadaholic View Post
    #1. Why does JBL ( one of the largest and foremost speaker manufactures ) sell these as direct re-placement for 4 OHM speakers?
    #2. Do you think the Techs at JBL are lying to the public to sell their product.....or has this been worked out correctly by them?
    #3. the link you posted is dated 1994. Is it still relevant? Or has something changed?
    Nothing has ever changed with impedance matching amps and speakers, basic electronics remain the same. Bob the key is not when and if you don't turn it up all the way it MAY be ok for a long time keeping it at a volume that is not louder than the OEM's were. It is close to and at full volume that the issues occur. Basically you are overheating the output transistors at that point with less resistance from the speakers. I do not know where you are getting 4 ohm from but this is from JBL Spec sheet.

GTO528
    5-1/4" (130mm) 2-Way Loudspeaker
    • Plus One
    ® (patent pending)woofer cone
    • 1" (25mm) edge-driven My-Ti
    ™ tweeter
    • Frequency response: 70Hz – 21kHz
    • Sensitivity: 91dB
    • Impedance: 2 ohms
    • Power handling, RMS: 45 watts
    • Power handling, peak: 135 watts
    • Mounting depth: 2-3/8" (61mm)
    • Cutout diameter: 4-3/4" (120mm)

Last edited by Magdave; 09-23-2015 at 09:23 PM.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

The first try at upgrading speakers as I remember it were with 4 ohm JBL's . They sounder better but were not significantly louder. Lowering the speaker impedance (resistance) does create more Watts but at the risk of cooking the amp.

Now most High quality home AVR's take 8 ohm speakers and can be stable down to 4 ohms. I am doubtful of the quality of the amplifier quality on our spyders so going from 4ohm to 2 ohm may or may not work in the long run. Roll the dice at your own risk.

Here is a little more light reading explaining my point
    Ideally an amplifier should be a constant voltage source.That is, for a given input signal, the amplifier should produce a constant voltage across the speaker terminals whatever the load. For example, if the amplifier is producing 20 Volts at the output terminals, Ohms law (R=V/I) tells us that there are 50 watts being fed into an 8 Ohm speaker (watts equal voltage squared divided by impedance). If we connect a 4 Ohm speaker, halving the original load, the same 20 Volts would now produce 100 watts, and further, 200 watts into 2 Ohms. From this example we clearly see that each time the load resistance is halved, the amplifier should ideally double its output. This high current capability is especially important if the loudspeaker impedance dips into a very low range. To make this happen, the amplifiers’ the power supply must also double its current delivery to the output transistors for this equation to hold up. The continued doubling must stop at some point, the progression cannot go on forever and, if carried too far, could end in disaster. Either the power supply will run out of current and fail to maintain the amplifiers output wattage, or worse, go beyond the capability of the output devices, creating excessive heat and eventually destruction of the transistors.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/spkramp.html
    Last edited by Magdave; 09-23-2015 at 09:42 PM.

Spyder Garage

I ran the gauntlet of trial and error then finally settled on a high quality 400 amp after my stock radio with DC gold speakers to match, not cheap but that is a relevant term. I have fantastic quality and plenty of volume. Base is incredible and I can hear highs I never knew were in the songs. I played with several makes of speakers and never found a good match so I started over and did it right. Just to kick it up a notch further I added a 300 watt bass woofer to get a little cage rattling.

At freeway speeds it sounds as good as at idle, naturally at a higher volume of course. I am a happy camper now, the new speakers fit the old enclosures and the amp hides under the tupperware. I do have the base woofer in the frunk but I can take it out in a couple of minutes when I need to have more space.

Spyder Garage

I'm thinking of these JBL speakers too.
    Mike told me about you guys installing them.
    Been a while since you installed them.
    Any issues ??

Tommy J.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I think it's similar to not having enough back pressure in your car (or motorcycle) exhaust system.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that another report on how these changes are holding-up, would be nice...

Mike?? Laura??

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default JBL SPEAKERS

Quote Originally Posted by fireplug98 View Post
    I'm thinking of these JBL speakers too.
    Mike told me about you guys installing them.
    Been a while since you installed them.
    Any issues ??

Tommy J.
    ...Hi, Tommy. Yes the heading is a TYPO it should be -" JBL "- and after over a year things are fine. MagDave made comments above but didn't answer this " why do the tech's at JBL say going from 4 ohms to 2 ohms is not a problem ". He MAY be correct that running the system at absolute MAX for extended periods of time MIGHT cause an issue. But let me be clear.......NO ONE WOULD DO THIS --- THEY WOULD DAMAGE ---THEIR HEARING --- THE JBL's CAN PLAY EXTREMELY LOUD & CLEAR & CLEAN un-like the OEM's.......and all for about $125.00 ..... you can find these speakers on E-bay.......My system will be at Spyderfest 2016, so you can hear it for yourself. Bring an MP3 or other device with YOUR favorite tunes and you LISTEN before you do this......Mike
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 02-05-2016 at 12:24 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks Mike !!!

I think I'm gone run with these JBL's and install them before SpyderFest. So I can have them for the ride down to SpyderFest !!!

Thanks for your help Mike !!!!

Tommy J.
    F3L SE5 Black -- F4 windshield w/wings, Reggie LED headlights, driving lights & Cyclops LED, Ultimate seat, Fox shocks, BajaRon swaybar, Lamont highway centerline pegs & 3rd peg, Lamont belt tensioner, K&N air filter, Baker air wings & cup holder, CanAm hitch.
    2019 F3L , Black

Spyder Garage

Default NEW SPEAKER HOLE SIZE

Quote Originally Posted by fireplug98 View Post
    Thanks Mike !!!

I think I'm gone run with these JBL's and install them before SpyderFest. So I can have them for the ride down to SpyderFest !!!

Thanks for your help Mike !!!!

Tommy J.
    ...This will save everyone some time......from paper or thin cardboard make a template - a disc 4 5/8" in dia. this is the size of the hole you will need for the JBL 508c speaker to fit......so you need to enlarge the OEM hole to 4 5/8"....Deanna777has some pics in her " latest started threads relating to this project................Mike

Spyder Garage

so are the speakers that come with the spyder not a standard size physically where you can buy replacement speakers without modifying the holes?
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Default NEW SPEAKER HOLE SIZE

Quote Originally Posted by latony007 View Post
    so are the speakers that come with the spyder not a standard size physically where you can buy replacement speakers without modifying the holes?
    ....On the RT ..the front are standard ( 5.25 " )........the rear are custom made for BRP they are actually 4.25, which makes it easy to put in the JBL's in the rear because they are less than 5.25,.............Mike

Spyder Garage

This is for anyone who wants to see Mikes(Blueknight911) pictures of his JBL rear speakers on his RT: go to " Pic's of how I put 5.25" speakers in the rear of any RT" Thread started by Deanna777.

Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights
    Marinco 12Volt Power Receptacle with polarized leads & slide lock
    Show chrome Trunk Shock

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue