Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Why would you want to strap yourself to a motorbike!!

Altho I guess at least that way you'll be more likely to die quickly in the event of an accident!! But if you don't die, any injuries you receive are likely to be massive & horrible!!

Quite a few years experience cleaning up after other peoples motorcycle accidents leave me convinced that you really DONT want to strap yourself to it in the misguided assumption that it'll protect you from injury if you have an accident - sure, getting thrown clear might not be a great thought, but it's called 'thrown clear' for a reason; at least if you do get thrown clear the bike can't grind you into the road underneath it, nor is it as likely to end up thrashing you repeatedly into the road like a wet flail as it tumbles before dragging you along underneath it....

I still have nightmares about some of the injuries I've seen, but I really shudder at thinking about how much worse the injuries & gravel filled ground-meat would've been if the person had been strapped onto the bike!!

Sorry about the graphic description, but PLEASE, think before strapping yourself securely onto the outside of a motor vehicle!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 09-24-2015 at 12:12 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aawen View Post
    Why would you want to strap yourself to a motorbike!!

Altho I guess at least that way you'll be more likely to die quickly in the event of an accident!! But if you don't die, any injuries you receive are likely to be massive & horrible!!

Quite a few years experience cleaning up after other peoples motorcycle accidents leave me convinced that you really DONT want to strap yourself to it in the misguided assumption that it'll protect you from injury if you have an accident - sure, getting thrown clear might not be a great thought, but it's called 'thrown clear' for a reason; at least if you do get thrown clear the bike can't grind you into the road underneath it, nor is it as likely to end up thrashing you repeatedly into the road like a wet flail as it tumbles before dragging you along underneath it....

I still have nightmares about some of the injuries I've seen, but I really shudder at thinking about how much worse the injuries & gravel filled ground-meat would've been if the person had been strapped onto the bike!!

Sorry about the graphic description, but PLEASE, think before strapping yourself securely onto the outside of a motor vehicle!
    I agree with you 100% - for a two wheel motorcycle! I would never ever strap myself to one as I have been down on those.

Now on the Spyder what are the chances that you would be sliding along side it? Not very likely that one would tip over. One of the reasons I use the small screws on the Spyder is that in the event of a head on crash those screws are going to snap under my weight and only slow down my ejection from the bike.
    Now I am not sure about being T boned, but I am thinking that in that situation it may not matter if you are strapped in or not.

I as everyone who is envoled in riding a motorcycle has to decide how to handle the risks envoled and I decided that there was a greater risk of falling off while sleeping than being involved in a crash.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I was afraid that you were sleeping and wouldn't see this post!
    LOL
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

LOL this is a funny thread. I installed arm rests to help my wife feel more secure. Fortunately for me and unfortunate for my wife, I tend to not travel in straight lines for very long and I like to "have fun". We enjoy traveling together and she has told me there is no way she could fall asleep with the way I drive.
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I made straps that chris cross over the shoulders and connect together by vinyl quick connectors.
    I purchased everything needed at JoAnn fabrics. 6' of nylon web strap, two sets of quick connectors for the nylon strap, and brass eyelets.
    I cut the strap into 4 pieces ( 2 long and 2 short) melting the cut ends and put a brass eyelet into one end of each strap. This is for the screw to go through for securing the straps to the Spyder. The two long straps I fastened to the inside of the trunk using the screws that hold the backrest on.
    The two short straps were fastened to the rear screws that hold the cover on by the passenger hand grips. Using the nylon quick connectors (one set blue and one set black) I put the male end on the top straps and the female end on the bottom straps with the color across from each other - ie blue on the left top and bottom right - this way I could tell that I was correctly crossing them over my shoulder.
    Once the straps are connected I can then pull on the strap ends to tighten them down and you are not going to fall off no matter how deep a sleep your in.
    When not in use the upper straps go into the trunk and the bottom straps tuck behind the seat all out of sight. No one knows I have them until I point it out.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

The last 4 Spyder RT accidents that I have seen reported on SL, the bike was still upright, the people had flown off hit something ans 4 were dead, 1 lived. At our age flying would mean a lot of pain if not dead or paralyzed. I remember when seat belts first came out in cars and the general thought was "I don't want to be trapped in a burning car". Well, only a fool doesn't wear a seat belt today in a car.

Here a lot of immigrant farmers don't wear seat belts, they manage to run off the road, roll, fly out and get rolled on. It's in the paper every day.

On a 2 wheeler, you are screwed either way, on a 3 wheeler, it's a maybe. even if it just tipped over, you have the front wheel and the saddlebag protecting your leg. If you get hit or hit something at highway speeds you are probably dead anyway.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It isn't unusual for my wife to fall asleep. She has done it numerous times on several bikes and the Spyder RTS and the result has always been that her head falls into the back of my helmet, which alerts me to her falling asleep. It alarmed me originally but now not so much. With the back rest on our Ultimate seat and the limited amount of space, it would be pretty difficult for her to fall off even without the armrests.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've been hit in the back of the helmet a few times also...

I guess that they must trust our operating skills!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black