Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Can we have a reasonable discussion about this?

Every time someone asks what would you like to see added to the Spyder, a hand brake is always near the top of the list. The naysayers argue that given the ABS braking system, you don't need it. In that a lot of people buying Spyders are from a motorcycle background, having a hand brake is a given. Some will say, "Well, it's not a motorcycle". The trend of the F3 is more toward a motorcycle ( to me). Why not make it at least a factory option? I think BRP could incorporate it at a reasonable cost.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Instead of a factory option as it might add cost to the product as they might have to change how the assembly line runs.
    It could be a dealer installed accessory. My dealer already installs ISCI hand brake kits.
    Personally I don't want a hand brake ,I like the foot brake and how it operates now.

Spyder Garage

The ISCI hand brake is a very well made unit, as I understand.

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

it's a thought. Reasonably priced is a dream... some just can't get used to the single brake lever, foot pedal, and had it not been so expensive I would have had one myself. I'm fine now after all its just like the car but know it is hard. Guess it would be nice for those who miss it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Why go back in time??

Many years ago automobiles came with spark advance controls on the steering wheel and hand throttle controls and hand choke controls on the dash.

New inventions ultimately eliminated these devices. Customers complained about losing these critical controls that they said they needed to properly operate their vehicles.

It took time for them to realize that modern advances in technology negated the need to have these things.

Then other things like points and condensers, drum brakes, coils, generators, etc. became obsolete as more and more technological advances eliminated or replaced them.

The BRP braking system is a wonderful piece of technology and works extremely well unless the person may have a handicap and is unable to use their right leg.

Why in the world would you want to go back in time and install a handbrake?

Maybe someone could come up with a crank that could fit into the front of the engine so you wouldn't have to use that silly button on the handlebars to start it.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

For BRP to build a hand brake as a dealer installed accessory. Research and design, how many would they sell to recoup their costs, etc. I would expect a price point of $2500 to $3000. I don't know what a aftermarket system costs. But in general aftermarket can do it cheaper.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I do know of several rYders that due to leg mobility feel more comfortable with a handbrake and for them the ISCI has provided that . These same rYders are thankful for the SE version, if that was not available they couldn't rYde.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I asked a couple of BRP reps about the possibility of ever adding a hand brake to the Spyders right from the Factory...
    Their succinct response: "No..."
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

spyderdude had one installed because he liked riding with his feet on the highway pegs. He had a scare from a truck I think. He found it took too long to get from the highway peg to the brake. So he wanted the hand brake for peace of mine. I believe that was on his rss or his st.

Spyder Garage

Well, I don't know if anyone has ever called me "reasonable" before...

But aside from the curt BRP corporate position that Bob summed up above, there are three arguments against it:

1. Function. As noted, you don't *need* a handbrake on a Spyder, anymore than you *need* a handbrake on a car. Two-wheelers obviously have good physics-based reasons for independent front and rear braking (and even then plenty of manufacturers see a market for linked braking systems). With three wheels, linked brakes do the job.

2. Form. Now, settling on one brake control BRP could have just as easily chose to put a handbrake instead of a foot pedal, but as we all know, the original marketing for the Spyder was to find people entirely new to riding, i.e. car drivers who wanted to safely dip their toes into riding. A handbrake is old hat for we two-wheel riders out here, but it was seen by BRP as needlessly intimidating to new riders-- especially as, again, there is no *functional* reason for a handbrake over a footbrake, or in addition to.

3. Regulations. This may just be me talking out my wazoo, but I imagine there are lawyers at BRP HQ who surveyed the lay of the land out there in our grand United States and Canada and determined that every little thing they could do to make the Spyder less like a motorcycle would aid its acceptance by state regulators as a unique vehicle. The thinking surely was, motorcycles have handbrakes, but cars have footbrakes, ergo, this fact among others would help convince state Departments of Transportation to register Spyders as cars rather than bikes, allowing owners to ride them with their automobile licenses.

Unfortunately, the best laid plans of 2007 gave way to the cold, hard reality of 2015, and I think that, California aside, nobody but nobody has bought into BRP's cutesy "roadster" thing, and everyone treats the Spyder as a motorcycle for licensing and registration purposes. Which means that whatever reasoning BRP once had for choosing a handbrake over a footbrake is now moot.

That said, since that decision's been made, there's no reason to change now. The Spyder is what the Spyder is.

Now, should BRP make a factory option for a handbrake? I see no reason why not, as all the marketing dreams of 2007-2008 seem to have fallen by the wayside. But they've done their market research, they know what would sell and what wouldn't, and their judgment remains, let the aftermarket take care of this if people want it. Maybe that will change someday, but I'd be surprised if it does.
    Last edited by daveinva; 09-23-2015 at 12:16 PM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

When I'm riding on the highway I often have my feet on the highway pegs. I'd like a hand brake just so I'd have a faster way to the brake when I'm riding like that. It wouldn't be my primary means of getting to the brake...that would remain the foot brake. But having a hand brake, too, would just make me feel a little more safe while I'm on the highway.

OTOH, I'm having a hard time convincing myself to spend north of $1000 to have one installed.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    The ISCI hand brake is a very well made unit, as I understand.
    i have the hand brake on my rt and love it. installed it also on my 13 rt. it is pricey but i feel well worth it. i called isci about tying it directly into the bikes system and they said they don't have any plans to do something like that
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

A lot of good points have been made above. I cannot add much to them.

Been riding motorcycles since about 1965. Over forty of the two wheeled variety--all equipped with the front handbrake.

I would say it took me about thirty seconds to get over the hand brake needed feeling, once I climbed aboard my 2008 SM 5.

That one had a clutch, so I guess I was let down easily.

From then on, I have not missed or felt the need for a handbrake on the .

The will stop on a dime--I have had to prove that a couple times.

I do have right hip joint issues and should I lose the motion for application of the brake, I would then go to an ISCI system. For now, not needed IMO.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Can't get to the footbrake?

What about a hypothetical situation where maybe you go into a corner a little too hot and get yourself off balance. Aside from the nanny kicking in maybe you can't reach the pedal? You're hanging onto the handlebars.Maybe you can get a squeeze in. Again I'm just throwing that out there.

Spyder Garage

I have not had that happen in almost 130,000 miles. I practice the "enter corner at a speed that allows you to accelerate around the apex" policy.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-23-2015 at 01:35 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
    What about a hypothetical situation where maybe you go into a corner a little too hot and get yourself off balance. Aside from the nanny kicking in maybe you can't reach the pedal? You're hanging onto the handlebars.Maybe you can get a squeeze in. Again I'm just throwing that out there.
    Sorry to say this ...
    But that's why they call them "Accidents". Maintain control of your vehicle at all times, and do not EVER out-drive yours, or your vehicle's abilities...
    You can't save everybody; from every bone-headed action...

Spyder Garage

Default Good Comments

There have been good comments pro and con. Keep em coming.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

HIJACK...
    Have you convinced your better half yet?
    (Figured that I'd throw this out here now, since you already paid us a compliment! )

Spyder Garage

Default Well, Bob...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    HIJACK...
    Have you convinced your better half yet?
    (Figured that I'd throw this out here now, since you already paid us a compliment! )
    I went to A.S.K. today to drool over the lineup. I sat on and took a picture of an RT LIMITED that caught my eye. I showed it to my wife. You know the end of that story.
    ( I can't rotate my pictures.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OldDog; 09-23-2015 at 02:06 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How's this?

Go back to showing her the ST line-up... set a realistic goal!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default ST limited

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How's this?

Go back to showing her the ST line-up... set a realistic goal!
    They had Satin Silver ST limited that looked good too!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The reason BRP does not put a handbrake on the spyder is because they realize that the majority of spyder owners are old. Old people easily become confused, and expecting a confused old person to properly control throttle and braking with the same hand could be a recipe for disaster... [emoji38] [emoji106]

Spyder Garage

I thought I was going to have much more problems adjusting to the lack of a hand brake than I did. I have actually never reached for the phantom lever. That said I would not mind having one for pushing the bike around if nothing else. I hate pushing from the right.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Hand Brake

I have the hand brake kit on my 14 RTS...Besides for the positive reasons above it comes in real handy when pushing the Spyder around the garage...I also like when stopped at a stop light and want to stand up on the floor boards and stretch out for a minute or so...Yes it was costly but it was my choice to have one...If BRP would have offered it as an option I would have purchased it...larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    The reason BRP does not put a handbrake on the spyder is because they realize that the majority of spyder owners are old. Old people easily become confused, and expecting a confused old person to properly control throttle and braking with the same hand could be a recipe for disaster... [emoji38] [emoji106]
    Point taken. I hit 76 last Friday, and I know I'm not as well coordinated as I was at 15, so the single-pedal foot-brake suits me just fine. And might I add this?... the reason the front-wheel brake is on the same handlebar with the throttle in the first place, is that there was NO PLACE ELSE left to put it!
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl