Spyder Garage

Default Refueling question

I just purchased a RT-S and stopped for my first refueling. The gas gauge was almost down to a half tank. I was only able to put in 2.7 gallons .Now after riding another 35 miles it is already down a 1/4 tank. I have a feeling it did not fill completely. I did a search and could not find any results .
    Any help would be appreciated.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You didn't mention what year your RT-S is; but if it's new, you can hold the nozzle up higher in the spout. That'll allow for more complete filling.
    It takes a while to sort out a consistent routine at the pumps; you'll get it!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    You didn't mention what year your RT-S is; but if it's new, you can hold the nozzle up higher in the spout. That'll allow for more complete filling.
    It takes a while to sort out a consistent routine at the pumps; you'll get it!

lift the gas nozzle up and you can put another .50-1.0 gallon of gas in the tank..

Spyder Garage

Knowing the year would be helpful. The v-twin will lower the volume in the tank quicker than the triple.

FWIW, lower the end of the nozzle an inch or so into the tank and fill until it shuts off. I round up to the nearest dime but that's just me. Like Bob said you'll get the hang of it.

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default easy does it..

I don't like the way the gas hand moves up and down. When i fill up, i pull up on the nozzle til it is almost out, and i continue to slowly fill up the tank. The nozzle will click off on it's on, but sometimes i can see the gas coming up and stop fueling. I don't want to spill any gas on the
    2012 Spyder RT Limited Lava Bronze (Psalm 27:1;Luke 12:4,5)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keep in mind all gas pumps are not the same for filling..Some fater than other I have noticed and some gas stations advertise they are the faster pumps by LAW

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by FredF View Post
    I just purchased a RT-S and stopped for my first refueling. The gas gauge was almost down to a half tank. I was only able to put in 2.7 gallons .Now after riding another 35 miles it is already down a 1/4 tank. I have a feeling it did not fill completely. I did a search and could not find any results .
    Any help would be appreciated.

I ryde a 2012 RT SE5. My experience is not to trust the gauge. I did run out of gas (on a busy 4 lane city street!) just 1/4 mile from my normal fillup station! Called my wife at home, just 1/2 mile away, asked for her to bring a gas can from home and rescue me. Hung up just as a police car turned his warning lights on and pulled up behind me. Explained the situation to him, my wife arrived, he waited until I poured some gas into the tank and the engine started and I pulled away. No ticket for blocking traffic. Yeah!

Here's my leaning curve: When filling up, hold the nozzle high in the tank and top the tank off until gas is seen on the nozzle. Be quick to to stop pumping to avoid splashback. Make a mental note of the mileage driven and gas pumped (both are variables depending what kind of ryding was done) and calculate that ryde's mpg. Average a few fillups to get a baseline. And go fer it!

I hate filling up 'early' when I'm ryding and may have 2+ gallons of gas and 50+ miles left in the tank... and having to guess if I can make it to my intended destination. Just another of the small disappointments of ryding a Spyder. But, I'm older and ryding a Sypder so I can keep on ryding. And more frequent gas-ups aren't all that bad

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for the help. I will pull back the nozzle. My Victory had a small piece that stopped the nozzle from going in more than an inch or two.

Spyder Garage

It is a 2015.

Spyder Garage

You don't say which year RT-S. If its 2014 or higher--the 1330 triple should give you 39 - 41 per gallon. If its pre 2014--the 998 twin will give you about 29 - 31 per gallon.

A couple hints:

Set your A or B register to zero each time you refill. That way you know how many miles (ballpark) to go before fill up necessary. 210 or so on the triple and 150 or so on the twin.

Fill to the same level each time. I pull the nozzle out of the ring at the top of the tank and fill just up to the ring. The first attempt, the gas will go down about an inch from the ring. I do it one more time and done.

I have one of each engine configuration (20k MILES ON EACH) and this is what we find consistently on our WARNING, WARNING, WARNING--YOUR MILEAGE MAY VARY.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-21-2015 at 06:36 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red