Spyder Garage

Default New Spyder Rider F3-S, Raleigh, NC

I've been riding my F3-S for a few weeks now and loving it. I'm a converted Harley rider. I finally decided my legs felt better on a trike. My Switchback was really nice but I guess I just feel better (and thus can ride longer and farther) on a Spyder.

I got my Spyder at Team Powersports, in Garner. They were knowledgeable and worked with me for a test ride and to equip it and fit it (I needed an extended brake link to move the pegs forward enough) to my satisfaction. Their price was much lower than a competing dealer. I can see from previous posts that this isn't necessarily the same treatment that others have received from them. So I can only say that in this instance, I was happy.

Now a plug: I have a 5 x 8 trailer that I converted into a transport for my F3-S. I used the same plans as those posted in the SpyderLovers forum previously. I built ramps for the Spyder that raise the wheels to 2" below the top of the trailer rails and have ramps for the front wheels that allow the clearance of the bump where the trailer ramp meets the trailer bed. This allows only the tire rubber to touch the rails and not the rims.

If anyone is interested, I'd like to sell the trailer and ramps as a package if possible. I no longer need it because I decided to invest in a 6 x 10 trailer because I need one anyway for other things.

The ramps are 2x8s because the trailer rails are 11" high. so they are really substantial. The top boards are also braced by internal pieces. The hardware is farm quality, very substantial, and braced well at the top end. I have new ramp plates for the grounded end, that are not shown, that can be mounted.

Please let me know if you're interested. Here are some pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Curious..!!

The front wheels ryde on the boxes and the rear wheel will set on the trailer bed...? How are you securing the wheels..? The wood ramps tie into the drop gate..?Nicely done. A picture of the spyder on the trailer would be nice...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default More specifics...

Directly under the tires is a slot for wrapping rope or a tiedown to the wheel rim. the tiedown will also wrap around the trailer rail to prevent left/right and up/down movement. The trailer has front and rear tiedown loops to the wheels to prevent front/back movement.

The weight of the ramps is considerable given that there are 3 - 8' treated 2x6s. I can barely move them around. (Which is why they're riding on a furniture dolly in the pictures) The rails aren't going anywhere and neither is the Spyder. The Spyder's own suspension keeps things in place even with major bumps.

I had originally thought to provide two mountable stand-offs between the two ramps to keep them apart, but I haven't seen any movement yet. It would be simple to implement.

My only concern was if the weight was too high sitting on the ramps and if tipping over was a risk under emergency maneuvers. Actually the weight is only 4-1/2" higher since the rear of the bike is at trailer-bed height, not ramp height.

I've had a trailer turn over on me and three dirt bikes when a driver aimed her car at me because she wasn't looking, and that was a trailer that was made specifically for motorcycles. I don't think the risk is any greater on this trailer, because the weight is more centered.

I'll see if I can get a picture with the Spyder on the trailer and rigged for travel. Unfortunately, it won't be soon, unless someone wants the trailer and ramps right now. I'll post again when I get pictures.