Spyder Garage

Default Trailers & warranty

I see Can Am has on their webpage for the freedom trailer - "The only trailer that maintains the vehicle factory warranty."

I know I've read lots of opinions about this on SpyderLovers. My question is has anyone in the U.S. ever had mechanical problem and had the dealer actually say they would not honor the warranty because of a non-CanAm trailer? Has that ever really happened?

I hate the idea of paying 3 grand for a trailer and am about to pull the trigger on a Lumina.
    Scoot

2015 RT-S
    BajaRon swaybar, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Battery Tender power connector, the "Missing Belt Guard", "Don't Eat The Mud" mud flap, JT's dash mount, RAM mounts for electronic stuff.

Spyder Garage

In the US the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act applies. Basically the manufacturer cannot tell you that you have to use only their brand of oil, etc in order to maintain your warranty. For them to deny a warranty claim on the grounds that a non-BRP trailer was used, it would have to be proven that the non-BRP trailer was the cause of the failure. For example, it would be hard to argue that a failure of the radio was due to pulling a different brand trailer. Do a google search on the act, you will get a lot more information and a better understanding of the issue.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

I wouldn't want to test the Magnuson Moss act myself. Page 72 in the 2014 catalog states that the hitch, not the trailer is the one that maintains your warranty.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default My story with the Lumina

Quote Originally Posted by Scoot2Mtns View Post
    I see Can Am has on their webpage for the freedom trailer - "The only trailer that maintains the vehicle factory warranty."

I know I've read lots of opinions about this on SpyderLovers. My question is has anyone in the U.S. ever had mechanical problem and had the dealer actually say they would not honor the warranty because of a non-CanAm trailer? Has that ever really happened?

I hate the idea of paying 3 grand for a trailer and am about to pull the trigger on a Lumina.
    Bought a lumina trailer and build a pig tail from flat 4 pin to square pin. Hooked up all is well for 2 long trips. Third trip no running lights though blinkers and brake lights work fine. It's the module on the bike not the trailer. Replaced under warranty during 1 year service. Same trip same day lost all trailers lights. Make it to Springfield to pit bulls. Long story short I opted to trade the lumina for the freedom trailer as module and trouble shooting the trailer wiring was no guarantee it wouldn't happen again and module would not be replaced under warranty. I'm sure there was an easy fix but even in good hands at Pitbull, wasn't up for the chance of it happening again as far away from home as I was. Love the Freedom trailer.
    2016 RTS Special Triple Black, BRP Freedom Trailer, Spyder Pops Rear Lighting Kit, Spyder Pops Full view Turn Signals, Trunk Light, Rivco Highway Pegs. Doc's Spring Tensioners, Trunk Organizer, Magic Mirrors, Foam Grips, back to Stock Windsheild, Lamonsters cat delete, Bajaron sway bar, More Farkles to come !!

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

Gotta say for the time I have been here I have not seen anyone having any failure due to a non brp tailer. All the issues have been with their trailer or the lighting of the others. The only problem you could have would be the electrical (lighting) clutch and or brakes due to surpassing weight limitations. Jmo...and proving this is not cut and dried...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    In the US the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act applies. Basically the manufacturer cannot tell you that you have to use only their brand of oil, etc in order to maintain your warranty. For them to deny a warranty claim on the grounds that a non-BRP trailer was used, it would have to be proven that the non-BRP trailer was the cause of the failure. For example, it would be hard to argue that a failure of the radio was due to pulling a different brand trailer. Do a google search on the act, you will get a lot more information and a better understanding of the issue.
    It's vary easy to quote this "Act". Proving it, and fighting it are another story! Same with the oil threads. We all know there has never been an oil related problem. Use a different weight of oil gives them an out in court. BRP has deep pockets! Do you? Not saying you are wrong at all. Just don'y give them an easy out. Buy their hitch and module. Cancels the questions. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Spyder Garage

Had the trailer light module go out on both bikes on a trip the same day after about a month of trailering, replaced both modules with generic ones, have been trouble free for nearly 2 years and thousands of miles.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keep your eye on the WTB for sale section as there has been some good deals on used trailers..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    Had the trailer light module go out on both bikes on a trip the same day after about a month of trailering, replaced both modules with generic ones, have been trouble free for nearly 2 years and thousands of miles.

Could you supply a link to the generic you are using?
    2014 Pearl White RT, TriAxis handlebar, BaJaron Bar&Links, Spyderpops belt guard, bumpskid & stainless grilles, Seal Dlx boards, JT's Dash Mount, SmoothSpyder belt tensioner, HMT brake, TricFender led's, mudflap lights, air horn, Squared Away laser alignment

Spyder Garage

Default module?

First, thanks for all the responses. It's given me more to think about. You've given me some good reasons for giving the Can Am trailer another look. I have been concerned about all the reports of lighting issues with after market trailers. Here are my reasons for looking at a Lumina:
    1) One of the things I want a trailer for is a cooler. I like the idea of having the cooler on the hitch and not taking up room in the trailer itself. I plan to buy a Yeti or similar as I have stuff (meds) I absolutely need to keep chilled. The Yeti is super insulated and has tough padlock points so I'm not worried about sticky fingers.
    2) Spending over a grand more for the same volume capacity seems illogical.
    3) The Can Am Freedom trailer is heavier than a Lumina so the net weight available for cargo is less.
    4) I grew up on a farm and have been around a lot of campgrounds. Trailers get the heck beat out of them. A scuffed up box trailer just looks like it's seen a lot of use. Just slap a sticker over that scratch you put in when you dropped something loading up. A scuffed Can Am trailer looks like it needs a trip to the auto body shop.

Will someone please post a picture of the "module" people keep talking about! Where is it and what does it do?
    Scoot

2015 RT-S
    BajaRon swaybar, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Battery Tender power connector, the "Missing Belt Guard", "Don't Eat The Mud" mud flap, JT's dash mount, RAM mounts for electronic stuff.

Spyder Garage

Default Troubleshooting guide

Btw - saw this handy guide for troubleshooting trailer wiring problem when searching for info on modules.

http://www.etrailer.com/faq-4-5-way-...eshooting.aspx
    Scoot

2015 RT-S

Spyder Garage

I have pulled a non Can Am trailer for 4 years now on two different Spyders and my dealer has never even hinted at any problem with my warranty claims. Every issue I have
    had has been repaired under warranty with no discussion. and yes the dealer know I pull it.. they even assembled it for me
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Below is the BRP hitch kit. Notice the electronic box in the middle. That is the powered isolator/converter module. It isolates the trailer from the Spyder from shorts and is powered so there is no power load on the Spyder light circuits. Also acts as a converter to combine the function of brake and turn signal from 3 circuits to 2. Amber turn signals on the Spyder and red on the trailer.

So to conclude if BRP trailer causes the module to fail because of bad wiring they will cover it. As they should. If the module fails because of a faulty aftermarket trailer. It's not their fault and of course not obligated to cover it. That said, don't let that scare you off a aftermarket trailer from a quality supplier. Go after them if it causes a problem.

See the picture below of a Hopkins Isolator/converter module kit for a car or pickup truck. Look familiar.

These modules will give years of trouble free service as long as the wiring on the trailer is done correctly. No loose intermittent connections. Both on the power or ground side. If you have ever followed someone pulling a trailer and the trailer lights are flicking on and off as it hits the bumps in the road. That will kill the module. It does not matter if the trailer is BRP or not.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by billybovine; 09-19-2015 at 04:22 PM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    See the picture below of a Hopkins Isolator/converter module kit for a car or pickup truck. Look familiar.

These modules will give years of trouble free service as long as the wiring on the trailer is done correctly. No loose intermittent connections. Both on the power or ground side. If you have ever followed someone pulling a trailer and the trailer lights are flicking on and off as it hits the bumps in the road. That will kill the module. It does not matter if the trailer is BRP or not.
    Which Hopkins part number is correct?
    Scoot

2015 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDoc View Post
    I have pulled a non Can Am trailer for 4 years now on two different Spyders and my dealer has never even hinted at any problem with my warranty claims. Every issue I have
    had has been repaired under warranty with no discussion. and yes the dealer know I pull it.. they even assembled it for me
    Hi BikerDoc

I recently had a rear suspension compressor burn out (my RT was still under warranty) and my preferred dealer was good with replacing it under warranty but BRP (in Australia) wouldn't come to the party until they had a photograph of the rear of my Spyder.
    Couldn't understand why so pushed for an answer and was advised they wanted to see if a tow hitch was fitted.
    Am now assuming I may have had some issues if I had of had a non standard hitch fitted.

Stay Safe

Regards
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tango View Post
    Use a different weight of oil gives them an out in court.
    Yes it does, however, using a non-BRP oil that meets the specifications that BRP has called for does not.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not sure on Hopkins number but you will need 4 wire out..

On my RT622 trailer I made a adapter harness to cover a 4 pin square to a 4 pin flat. This way I can pull the trailer on my other vehicles too..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Ghost View Post
    Yes it does, however, using a non-BRP oil that meets the specifications that BRP has called for does not.
    Keeping it the same weight keeps you out of possible trouble. Shell, Valvoline, Mobil 1. Bel-Ray all have 5-40's. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default trailers and waranty

Just a thought, maybe, maybe not. Don't the BRP trailers have LED lights, non BRP have regularly bulbs?
    Extra load may be to much for a weak isolator. Was going to take a long day trip. Wifey wanted to go for a few more days, three days before leaving. Found a stealer a hundred miles away that had a black trailer in
    stock. While there had them install the wiring/isolator. Hitch already on. The dufus tech installed it in the
    left rear where the older bikes were to be installed. Pulled the seat, dropped a bolt into never never land,
    three other odd bolts, broke off one of the side panel studs that have the chrome screw to hold on, missing grommet. Ordered replacement $10 and change. And only had to pay $135 for that. When I looked at it I was wondering why there was so muchextra harness hanging out of the back. When I got home I tore into it to find all of this. Could have done it myself, be my time was short. By the way, the solid black one is about $1200 less. Can get a paint job to match for less than that.
    Just my two cents,

Spyder Garage

Default Teller Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Gotta say for the time I have been here I have not seen anyone having any failure due to a non brp tailer. All the issues have been with their trailer or the lighting of the others. The only problem you could have would be the electrical (lighting) clutch and or brakes due to surpassing weight limitations. Jmo...and proving this is not cut and dried...
    I've had 2 trailer modules fail but all trailer lights are fine. 2 different trailers may not be covered by warranty this time. 2014 RTS.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It would not surprise me one bit that given the many problems BRP has had with their modules they may have come up with verbage to weasel out of continuing to replace modules under warranty. This especially considering the one experience of modules crapping out with a Lumina trailer but no more problems after the owner traded for a BRP trailer.

I say go with the Lumina trailer if that's what you really like, replace the module from the get-go, and don't worry about the warranty implications. I used a module made for a 1500 Goldwing (no longer available) and my own home built trailer and have had zero trailer light problems.

Does the Lumina have combination stop/turn lights or separate? If separate, and you want to use the turn lights, you'll need a five wire to five wire module. The current BRP one is five wire to four wire.

Don't know if this will help you any but here's what I did. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=trailer+light

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

After we replaced our Module we have never had any trouble with any of our three trailers, thats right I said trailers as we use three different ones, My lovly bride usually pulls the dog trailer and I pull the cargo(Harbor Freight) or the Aspen. We have loged over 40,000 miles of trouble free lights once we replace the modules.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RTL , Black Currant