Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Custom F3 Blue Ridge Modeled Windsheild

The purpose of this thread was to let those of you who are smitten with the looks of the Blue Ridge that there is an alternative. I have looked at other F3 windshields. They look good and by all the feedback that I have seen function well. But for me, the looks of the BR has got me.

It is time for me to step out of the loop. Please direct your inquiries to Gustafsson Plastics and Fairings.

See Post #10 (Pricing and Ordering) in which I consolidated a lot of info that is spread across several posts.

I was looking at the Givi Airflow windshields (not available for the F3). I got curious about the top screen. Called Givi and found out that the top screen is the same on all Givi windshields and that the top screen (Part# 1Z1997R) and the mounting hardware (Part# 1Z1963R) can be order separately from a Givi dealer. The downside is they do not come with instructions or a template. Before this can be installed the bevel (curve up) at the top of the BR shield would need to be cut off.
    I went to a local shop that has been making motorcycle windshields since 1968 http://bikescreen.com/ to have them install the Givi top screen. Before cutting the bevel they made a pattern/mold (owner generally says pattern) of my BR for future reference. The pattern happened to be the Dark Smoke Grey tint. When they held it up on my F3 to take a look, I had to have one (damn them!). I had them make one wider and 4” taller.

With me in the driver’s seat, an employee held the new shield against the mounting brackets the owner step back to give alignment directions. When the owner asked me what I thought….Dead On. Then using a flashlight (because of the dark tint) to see the mounting holes and then a soldering iron was used to mark the holes. Then took the screen back into the shop and drilled ¼” holes. The removal of the BR, drilling of the holes in the new shield and mounting was free of charge.

They ship worldwide, but do not drill mounting holes for shipped orders. For those of you that are within riding distance and want them to do it all, they can ship your stock shield home. Call and make an appointment. That way he will have a screen ready to install.

Windscreen Installation Tips: http://bikescreen.com/pages/gp-installation
    Acrylic Drill Bit: http://bikescreen.com/collections/accessories
    Besides clear there are 18 color tints to choose from
    http://bikescreen.com/pages/gustafss...-color-choices

Now that they have patterns of the BR and my screen they can make either at any height, with or without the bevel. They can do this for any motorcycle if they have a pattern.

It was raining when I left the shop (steady rain, not sprinkle). I put on my rain gear and full face helmet with shield up some to be able feel the rain on my cheeks. I felt some (noticeably less than before) rain and the feeling did not change at higher speeds (up to 70MPH). I passed a semi-truck doing 70MPH, went thru all the spray from it. What I was feeling on my cheeks did not change and did not feel the turbulence from the truck. I went on a short ride today (started to sprinkle) without rain gear. There was a broader wind reduction (now armpit to armpit) across my chest.
    The real test will be to ride on a sunny day (rain for the next few days) at 80-90MPH. I’ll update after that.

Still a possibility that the Givi top screen will be installed in the future.

Search Keywords: gs rs st rt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gordon; 09-21-2015 at 06:52 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Custom Windshield

Gordon, are you saying your local shop will make the tinted screen you're showing in your post for the BR mounting brackets? If so, sign me up. That looks awesome....

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ca8920 View Post
    Gordon, are you saying your local shop will make the tinted screen you're showing in your post for the BR mounting brackets? If so, sign me up. That looks awesome....

Chris
    Yes. Once he has a customer come to the shop and he makes a pattern that fits the mounting brackets, he can make a screen to fit any motorcycle.

I just checked his website. He doesn't have these posted with a price yet. He thought he may have it today. Might be tonight. I think son updates the website. If not I will check with him tomorrow.

I can't reveal what I paid. He gave me a break because I was the first, and he now has a F3 pattern. He did the same when I had a KYMCO Myroad 700 scooter. You may have notice that I added search keywords with the other Spyder models. That's because he can do the same for those models.

Spyder Garage

Default Custom Windshield

Since they already have the template for the BR brackets, could I simply order one?

Chris

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Awesome , very awesome !

Gordon, the windscreen truly looks amazing. Thank you for sharing with the SL world. My father taught me as a young man that if I wanted something that wasn't made to either make it or find someone who would make it for me. He would be impressed by your creativity and finding someone sharp enough to help you. Congratulations on a job well done. Two thumbs up !

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ca8920 View Post
    Since they already have the template for the BR brackets, could I simply order one?

Chris
    He doesn't have anything on his website yet to be able to place an order. I know is was going to determine price before he added these to the website. He thought he might have it completed today.

I am going to be checking his site tomorrow and probably be talking with him

If you wish you could contact him. http://bikescreen.com/pages/contact-gustafsson-plastics

Spyder Garage

Default Windshield

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    He doesn't have anything on his website yet to be able to place an order. I know is was going to determine price before he added these to the website. He thought he might have it completed today.

I am going to be checking his site tomorrow and probably be talking with him

If you wish you could contact him. http://bikescreen.com/pages/contact-gustafsson-plastics

Thanks Gordon.

Spyder Garage

OEM Blue Ridge is 14" from just below instrument cluster to top of shield. I need one 21". Can you tell me how tall yours is from that same reference point? How much wider? What is the total length? OEM is 21-1/2" measured in the center bottom to top. Is it still the same shape?
    Thanks, Rick
    Last edited by stebrock; 09-18-2015 at 10:52 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stebrock View Post
    OEM Blue Ridge is 14" from just below instrument cluster to top of shield. I need one 21". Can you tell me how tall yours is from that same reference point? How much wider? What is the total length? OEM is 21-1/2" measured in the center bottom to top. Is it still the same shape?
    Thanks, Rick

From the bottom of the tape measure to the bottom of the stock screen has not changed. The measurement across the back side of the screen from where you see the tape to the other side is 23 1/2". The stock BR is 19". From this point up it is the same contour, just wider.

From the point that you see the tape to the top is 25 3/8".

I don't know how he is going to label these, but let's assume it will be Stock Blue Ridge and Wide Blue Ridge. My recommendation to determine the height is to have someone place a tape at the top of your windshield with you in riding position to determine what height you want based on the stock windshield. If the want his Stock Blue Ridge you can order that and indicate + or - inches in the order summary note section. If you want the Wide Blue Ridge indicate in the note section you want the height + or - inches of the Stock Blue Ridge
    Last edited by Gordon; 09-18-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Pricing and Ordering Now Available

The purpose of this thread was to let those of you who are smitten with the looks of the Blue Ridge that there is an alternative. I have looked at other F3 windshields. They look good and by all the feedback that I have seen function well. But for me, the looks of the BR has got me.

It is time for me to step out of the loop. Please direct your inquiries to Gustafsson Plastics and Fairings.

Long time customer reference: http://www.waltsiegl.com/

Existing OEM mounting hardware is used. Height is the only thing that you can you can change when ordering.

The confusion about the measurements is that I provided a reference point with the windshield mounted. Gustafsson
    measures while the windscreen is sitting on a table. Refer to the first two pictures at the link below.

http://bikescreen.com/products/can-a...lue-ridge-2015

13” High 20” Wide….is the same as the OEM BR $239.95 USD

17” High 26” Wide….what is pictured in this thread $249.95 USD

The stock shield is listed as 13" High. The only thing you need to determine is the height that you want
    by using your stock shield (+ or -). Do this by having someone hold (up and down) a tape measure at the center
    top of the shield with you in riding position (I added 4" more height). For example, you determine that
    you need it 2" higher (15").

If you want the 13” x 20” ...State 15" high in the note section.

If you want the 17” x 26” ….State 15" high in the note section.

Bottom line is that he has a pattern/mold of the Can-Am Blue Ridge windshield. He knows that he
    added 4" to mine. Using the tape as suggested on the OEM BR and you determine you need 2"
    higher, order stating 15". He will know to make it 2" higher. If you order the larger one like mine, state 15". He will make it 2" shorter than mine.

Key is to determine how much higher or lower you want the top using the OEM BR. He will know
    what is needed based on that.

They ship worldwide, but do not drill mounting holes for shipped orders.

A practice drilling piece of windshield material is included with shipped orders.

Windscreen Installation Tips: http://bikescreen.com/pages/gp-installation
    Acrylic Drill Bit: http://bikescreen.com/collections/accessories

With me in the driver’s seat, an employee held the new shield against the mounting brackets and the
    owner took a few steps back to give shield positioning directions. When the owner asked me what I
    thought….Dead On. Then used a flashlight (because of the dark tint) to see the mounting holes and used
    a soldering iron to mark the holes. Took the screen back into the shop and drilled ¼” holes. Then mounted
    the new shield. I did not do anything but approve the positioning of the new shield.

The removal of the OEM BR, drilling the holes in the new shield and mounting the new shield is free of charge
    if you come to their shop.

For those of you that are within riding distance and want them to do it all and then ride home, they can ship
    your stock shield home. Call and make an appointment. That way he will have a screen ready to install.

Now that they have patterns of the BR and my screen they can make either at any height, with or
    without the bevel (curved up turn at the top). They can do this for any motorcycle (all Spyders
    included) once they have a pattern.

Last edited by Gordon; 09-21-2015 at 07:53 PM.

Spyder Garage

This measurement on the OEM Blue Ridge is 25 1/2" so I'm confused when you say this is the length of the new BR. Can you explain?
    Are you saying the wide version is 23 1/2" just before the OEM BR flares out?
    What two points are you using to determine the 17" height? Can you attach a pic showing this measurement?
    Thanks, Rick
    Last edited by stebrock; 09-19-2015 at 02:21 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stebrock View Post

This measurement on the OEM Blue Ridge is 25 1/2" so I'm confused when you say this is the length of the new BR. Can you explain?
    Are you saying the wide version is 23 1/2" just before the OEM BR flares out?
    What two points are you using to determine the 17" height? Can you attach a pic showing this measurement?
    Thanks, Rick
    I have updated the post with some more clarity (at least trying to be clearer).

The stock shield is listed as 13" High. At what reference point he measured, I don't know and is
    not important. The only thing you need to determine is the height that you want by using your stock
    shield. Do this by having someone hold (up and down) a tape measure at the center top of the shield
    with you in riding position (I added 4" more height). For example, you determine that you need it 2"
    higher. If you order the stock shield, state in the note area that you want the height 15". If you ordered
    the larger shield. State in the note area that you want the height 15". Width cannot be change on an order.
    Last edited by Gordon; 09-19-2015 at 04:14 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Informantion Consolidated into Pricing and Ordering Post (#10)

consolidate some multi-post info.....

Spyder Garage

Default correct me if im wrong

it may be a typo but you say stock is 13" want to add 2" in height it ends up being 15". large shield is 17" and want to add 2" wouldn't that end up being 19" and not 15" in your post?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ultimojustin View Post
    it may be a typo but you say stock is 13" want to add 2" in height it ends up being 15". large shield is 17" and want to add 2" wouldn't that end up being 19" and not 15" in your post?
    I am going to his shop tomorrow to discuss some of this. There are a couple of things that I don't know
    right now. One is what he is using as a reference point to measure. This causing confusion with his
    measurements for me, and I have dealt with him before. The other is the possibility that there was
    some miscommunicate between him and his son who updates the website.

Bottom line is that he has a pattern/mold of the Can-Am Blue Ridge windshield. He knows that he
    added 4" to mine. Using the tape as suggested on the OEM BR and you determine you need 2"
    higher, order stating 15". How ever he measured the height he will know to add 2". If you order the larger one
    like mine, state 15". He will make it 2" shorter than mine.

Key is to determine how much higher or lower you want the top using the OEM BR. He will know
    what is needed based on that, no matter if the measurements seem incorrect.
    Last edited by Gordon; 09-20-2015 at 08:18 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gordon View Post
    I am going to his shop tomorrow to discuss some of this. There are a couple of things that I don't know
    right now. One is what he is using as a reference point to measure. This causing confusion with his
    measurements for me, and I have dealt with him before. The other is the possibility that there was
    some miscommunicate between him and his son who updates the website.

higher, order stating 15". How ever he measured the height he will know to add 2". If you order the larger one
    like mine, state 15". He will make it 2" shorter than mine.

what is needed based on that, no matter if the measurements seem incorrect.

I spoke with Gustafssom this morning about the difference in measurements. Will update post #10.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the info Gordon. My wife is considering this shield for her new F3.

Spyder Garage

Perfect, I will surely be looking into one of these as I have liked the looks and flow of the lines of the Blue Ridge, Thank you Gordon.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ultimojustin View Post
    Perfect, I will surely be looking into one of these as I have liked the looks and flow of the lines of the Blue Ridge, Thank you Gordon.
    Updated Post #10 with:

A practice drilling piece of windshield material is included with shipped orders.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Here is a link to there web site to the F3 shield...

http://bikescreen.com/products/can-a...lue-ridge-2015

Spyder Garage

How much higher is the 17" compared to the stock BR?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Should be 4" higher. OEM BR is 13" at same measuring point. I talked to the business owner on the phone. He had no problem taking the time to explain everything to me. I am 5'-11" and will probably order a wide 19" or 20". I like the fact that it fits the BR mounting brackets.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I like this option because its the Blue Ridge look, Works with the BRP hardware, just taller and at a price point I can live with!!!!!!!!

Spyder Garage

Thank You for your work on this. I prefer the BR Look and the X-creen Touring is doing a Great job but when I get the cash a One Piece BR Type would appeal to me But I also want to wait and see CalSci's windshield ?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    Thank You for your work on this. I prefer the BR Look and the X-creen Touring is doing a Great job but when I get the cash a One Piece BR Type would appeal to me But I also want to wait and see CalSci's windshield ?
    I agree, I have the BR with x-creen and it serves its purpose. To soon to purchase any replacement. I want to see long term how these other shields perform and what else maybe coming out.