Spyder Garage

Default Smart Phone Holders

I bought a 2014 RTS last year and it did not have the GPS package.

I figured I would just use my smartphone for GPS .... :

1- is there any advantage to going with factory GPS?

2- if I do decide to use the phone For GPS what phone holder recommendations would you make?

David

Spyder Garage

Ram mount X grip thing

Attached Images Attached Images

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I use a Ram mount X grip for my Galaxy Note4 and it works great. I was sceptical at first, but my phone doesn't move at all. I have my phone in an Otter Box too, so I think it is fine in a light sprinkle, but I'll throw it in the "glove box" if it really starts to rain. GPS still gives voice notifications through Bluetooth. I think using the phone for GPS is the best option for me. Google updates automatically, and my screen on the Note 4 is plenty big. X grip makes it easy to get on and off wherever I stop, so I can take it in and review what's coming up and the weather ahead. Hope this helps. Good luck with your search.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    Ram mount X grip thing

That's an X-grip farm you have there! I'm surprised you velcro your garage door remote, and don't provide an X-grip for that too, lol lol.
    Brian Kay - Kennesaw, GA
    2014 RT-S SM6 Pearl White (KHAOS)
    TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Lights - TricLED Turn Signals - TricLED Side Fender Lights - Airhawk R Seat Pad - Smoothspyder Belt Tensioner - JT's Dash Mount - JT's USB and 12v Power Unit - Stebel 139dB Multi Sound Horn - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs - BRP Adjustable Wind Deflectors - Cal-Sci Stock Extra Wide Windshield - Baja Ron Sway Bar - WrapMySpyder 1330 Triple decals - Ultimate Tallboy Seat - BRP Sat Radio - ELKA Stage 2 Front Shocks

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kay View Post
    That's an X-grip farm you have there! I'm surprised you velcro your garage door remote, and don't provide an X-grip for that too, lol lol.
    RAM Mount X very secure

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There are two potential issues using your phone for a GPS. First, most phone screens dim out more than the GPS screen in bright sunshine. Of course, using your phone saves a lot of $, and the Garmin GPS dims more than I wish.

Secondly, find something besides Google maps to have on your phone is case you get out of cell coverage. Someone on the forum will probably provide some apps that store the map rather than use real time updates.

I concur that the Ram-X mount is solid.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    There are two potential issues using your phone for a GPS. First, most phone screens dim out more than the GPS screen in bright sunshine. Of course, using your phone saves a lot of $, and the Garmin GPS dims more than I wish.

Secondly, find something besides Google maps to have on your phone is case you get out of cell coverage. Someone on the forum will probably provide some apps that store the map rather than use real time updates.

I concur that the Ram-X mount is solid.

WAZE App. is the best GPS. Traffic, police, the works.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a Madstad F3S windshield with a IPhone 6 Plus protected by a waterproof "Lifeproof" case. The mounting system from Lifeproof fits perfectly on the cross bar of the windshield bracket. I installed a dual USB port and 12v port below the phone in case low battery causes frequent blackout. Great for Bluetooth music or GPS from any App. The mount allows landscape view or portrait and the Plus screen is plenty big for an old guy like me. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442420450.696528.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1442420475.029380.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1442420485.616400.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=pitzerwm;1037372]Ram mount X grip thing

UOTE]

How is you RAM mount X attached to you Spyder? I see they offer several options.
    American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

Spyder Garage

I use a Rivco cup holder mount (without the cup holder), and added a 1" RAM ball and a RAM X-holder. Cheap, effective looks good. Mounts to the right handlebar.

2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

I went with this setup from www.leadermotorcycle.com

&

www.amazon.com

http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/cent...can-am-spyder/

http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/x-gr...l-stem-cradle/

It will hold your phone & GPS up to 5 inch wide screen.

Did a trip last weekend from Seattle to Squamish in British Columbia using both GPS & phone. No issues with glare on both devices.

GPS is more reliable for long distance trips because you don't lose signal like with cell phones.

I'm using this GPS that I got from Amazon awhile back:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage

Total cost around $350ish with shipping & tax, still cheaper than a Zumi from Can-Am.

You can add this power brick that charges the two devices all day long:

http://www.amazon.com/mophie-powerst...eywords=mophie
    Last edited by bigrigdriver; 09-16-2015 at 10:27 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kay View Post
    Just lazy.

[QUOTE=Gator37;1037506]
    Ram mount X grip thing

UOTE]

How is you RAM mount X attached to you Spyder? I see they offer several options.
    That is a JT mount, above the dash,but notice you need the longer mount. One is on the handlebar with a hose clamp, the middle one is in a hole in the middle of the tri-axis handlebar. I didn't put that on.

As for security you can use this but IMO it's too small, but the idea is a good one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181840722760...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    Last edited by pitzerwm; 09-16-2015 at 10:45 PM.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and use the Ram mount X mount and it works great. The phone has never moved at all while it's in the X-Mount....

Spyder Garage

Default RAM MOUNT FOR NOTE 4

Do you have a part number for this? What the whole set up is. I am seeing a lot of X mounts.

Spyder Garage

Default Ram Mount X-Grip

I ordered the X-Grip from amazon but soon found out I had to order 2 more parts to make it work. I have posted all links below

X-Grip
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o08_s00

Center handlebar mount
    http://www.motoparthub.com/4_80007_T...nter_Mount_Can

Adapter for Center mount
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had 2 XGrip mounts but replaced them with the techmount. I never liked how the XGrip would rotate and my phone never sat straight. The techmount is a MUCH cleaner piece IMHO.
    http://www.techmounts.com/products/i...product_id=317

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I had 2 XGrip mounts but replaced them with the techmount. I never liked how the XGrip would rotate and my phone never sat straight. The techmount is a MUCH cleaner piece IMHO.
    I like that. I saw a video of a guy riding down the road and his phone fell out of an X-Mount. That's probably a one in a million thing but I'm a one in a million guy. If it's possible it happens to me.

Spyder Garage

I have about 20,000 miles using an x-holder with my precious phones, no incidents yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020- RT Limited
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    . I used the X-grip until I upgraded my phone to the Samsung S6. The buttons on that phone were not compatible with the X-grip, so I upgraded to the Techmount. I found it to be much better at gripping any phone, and easier to use. JT sells an adapter to allow it to work with the RAM Mount system.

Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS Mount Options for Spyder

Hi,

We have all kinds of GPS/Phone Mounting options. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/spyd...?sort=alphaasc

American owned and made the USA

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    . I used the X-grip until I upgraded my phone to the Samsung S6. The buttons on that phone were not compatible with the X-grip, so I upgraded to the Techmount. I found it to be much better at gripping any phone, and easier to use. JT sells an adapter to allow it to work with the RAM Mount system.

I have always used RAM mounts but got Techmounts for the FJR and the RTS. I prefer the Techmount.
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

Default thanx

That looks secure... the ram mount

Ram mount X grip thing

Spyder Garage

My smart phone (LG 3) came with a hard plastic clip in belt holster. I bought a second one and cut the belt clip off of it, then screwed it to a piece of angle aluminum. I then mounted that combination to my clutch fluid reservoir. Phone is secure, protected and easy to get on/off the bike, and for very cheap. I use it for music, but I guess it would work great for GPS as well. I have a Garmin Nuvi though, mounted much the same way. You can see it in my avatar pic.
    2016 RTS , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

In my opinion the main disadvantage of using a phone for a GPS is if you get out of cell service it will no longer have the map data and cannot tell you where to go. The GPS in the phone still is working e.g. it knows your latitude and longitude position, but with no map data it cannot give you turn by turn directions or show you where you are on a map.

Google maps will allow you to download sections of a map. So if you know the areas where you wont have cell service, you can download those. But it is limited to how much you can download. For instance I cannot download the entire Los Angeles area.

There maybe other GPS apps that you can store map data on the phone but I am not aware of those.

For me when around town, I use my phone. If I am going on a trip through mountain areas or deserts where I know I might loose cell service, I use a real GPS.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

I have Tom Tom on my iPhone and the maps are loaded on the phone. I use it all the time when I ride the side roads in the mountains. I have it set to take me home at all times so if I get lost on the back roads it lets me know how to get out. I also keep the volume off unless I get lost. Just my 2¢.

Sent from wherever I am at the moment.
    Alan

I'm in my second childhood, only this time I have more money.

Modes of transportation
    2013 Jeep Wrangler
    2014 Chevy Silverado
    2015 Spyder F3S SE6