Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder Rider Demographics

I was at the gas pump filling up. A young man pulls up to the pump beside me on a Kawasaki Crotchrocket. I struck up a conversation.
    Me: Nice bike!.
    Him: Thanks. Do you ride?
    Me: I did.I rode a Honda Shadow Sabre VT1100. I like the Can Am Spyder.
    Him: My Dad rides a Spyder. He had a Shadow until his knees went out.

I came away from that conversation with the feeling that a lot of the general public thinks the Spyder (RT) is for aging Senior citizens with limited physical mobility. That is partially true. But,there are a lot of able bodied riders that have one because they are so cooooool .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd best stay out of this thread.....[emoji38]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

When I bought my first (2008 GS-SM5) I did it because the was new, and different. I got the first one sold in Alaska. I did sell off my Kawasaki Vulcan 2000cc LTD to make room in the garage.

I also bought a Premier Edition (#474) RTS when they first came out. I was gung ho on the touring features and ride compared to the GS/RS models.

In late 2010 I actually bought two wheels (in addition to my ). A Kawasaki Vulcan 900 LTD. This one fit me like a glove and I really liked it.

The hip started to go between 2011 and 2012. I traded off my final two wheels to get akspyderlady a 2011 RT.

I now drive a bit out of necessity--but am still able to ride. If it were not for the hip, I would probably have an Indian Chieftan, or a Valkerie in my stable. I just like "big iron."
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-15-2015 at 02:31 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Nice post. Some time ago there was a poll in here asking the age range of Spyder ryders. Perhaps another poll asking why you chose the Spyder would be interesting and informative. Some ideas for categories:

1. Physical limitations or injury.
    2. Wife won't join me on two wheels.
    3. Am leery of my own ability to handle two wheels.
    4. The Spyder is so Cool!
    5. Others?........................
    Add some more useful categories, then someone create the poll!

I am personally a 3, although I passed the course for 2 wheelers. I'm sure there are many other good responses.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Any cruiser or café racer is pretty much associated with older people, dirt bikes and crotch rockets with the young and stupid, scooters with urban yuppies and so on. So don't worry about being typecast, every bike type is.
    2019 Rally , Black

Spyder Garage

I first looked at the Spyder in 2008 because I thought it was cool !

I purchased in 2015 because I am aging and it just is not safe to be on 2 wheels anymore.....I am glad I made the change !

Is that what they meant by "the change of life" ?
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought it because the dealership happened to be the first place that I came to, after breaking out of the insane asylum.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

For me, age has nothing to do with it. If there were Spyders back when I was 16 and just learning how to ride, I would have owned one.

I would have had to have mowed a million lawns to earn enough money, but I would have pulled it off.
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Spyder Garage

We all have our personal and unique motives for being on a Spyder. For me, it had nothing to do with looking cool or riding a cool machine. It was a matter of my body just telling me to either quit riding or get onto three wheels. The Spyder just happened to be the best choice. I chose the Spyder for a number of reasons, least of which is image. If image or coolness were deciding factors in my purchase decisions, I would've been riding Harleys all those years instead of Hondas and Victorys.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Why be a sheep, when you can play the part of the lone wolf?

Attached Images Attached Images
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default I just.....

I've got no ailments, disorders or conditions (my sympathy for those who do)...I've ridden 2 wheels since I built a mini-bike with an old Briggs and Stratton motor when I was a punk kid.
    I like the look and feel the fun on this machine. So I bought one and ryde the hell outta it!
    Last edited by NorCalBud; 09-15-2015 at 06:56 PM.
    ~'12 RT Limited, Pearl White~
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Squared Away Laser Alignment
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake Light, Front Fender Tips & Kit, Front Mud Flap LEDs, Amber & Red Brightsides, Tri-color Magicflex Channelz
    Lidlox Grip Tip Helmet Locks
    TricLED Mirror Signals, RGB Multi-color Halo Underground Effects Kit, LED Headlights
    Palmer Signs Custom "Captain America" frunk graphics
    Twisted Chrome Pinstripes
    Overland Australian Sheepskin Seat Cover

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Nice post. Some time ago there was a poll in here asking the age range of Spyder ryders. Perhaps another poll asking why you chose the Spyder would be interesting and informative. Some ideas for categories:

I am personally a 3, although I passed the course for 2 wheelers. I'm sure there are many other good responses.
    Several of these categories fit for me. #2 Sharon told me if I get a 2 wheel bike I will be riding alone. #3 Only because I never rode a 2 wheel bike on the road and there are a lot of idiots out there and one mistake could easily be my last. #4 just to be different and this is my summer snowmobile on wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalBud View Post
    I've got no ailments, disorders or conditions (my sympathy for those who do)...I've ridden 2 wheels since I built a mini-bike with an old Briggs and Stratton motor when I was a punk kid.
    I like the look and feel the fun on this machine. So I bought one and ryde the hell outta it!
    Yes these things are just fun and addicting and it is starting to take over our lives. We are doing stuff we never thought we would do and meeting all kinds of new people and making new friends.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

My answer:#1
    I started riding minibikes in the 70's
    Dirt bikes, street bikes and ATC'S in the 80's
    Continued into the 90's, but less, and sold my Shadow
    In 2001 I suffered a TBI. Had to learn to walk and talk again. And due to my physical limitations it was the best choice. I didn't like the traditional trikes. My wife tells me when the Spyders came out, it was an obsession with me.
    I look at it this way..some of my buddies ride Harleys, Hondas, Triumphs etc..but I kinda doubt I would even if I was 100%. But I think I would have opted for the F3 just cause its so darn sweet looking. And I love my GS.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...

Spyder Garage

I did not want to deal with the " brake, clutch, shifting", tipping the 2 wheeled motorcycles anymore. A friend of mine suggested " why don't you buy Can-Am Spyder.

I took the motorcycle safety coarse, passed, bought a HD, traded it for a 2012RTS-SE5, I had never ridden a Spyder before. Had the 2012RTS-SE5 2 years, then took a demo ride on a 2014RTS-SE6 Cognac. I am in my 50's, and healthy.

I wanted to continue riding motorcycles, the spyder is stable, fun, and met interesting people, like this group, and go to spyder events, and this site. My current spyder is a 2014RTS-SE6 Cognac, I am a happy spyder rider. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Our enabled ryders are statement enough.
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

If I could be back on two wheels I would in a second. But I can't and I am so thankful to BRP that not only made a product that got me out in the wind again but one that is super fun to ride and gorgeous to look at. It has been a long time since I have been this excited about riding. I've bought a hat, two jackets and eight t-shirts. I'm proud to fly the can-am flag.

Spyder Garage

I rode a Motorcycle at age 18 For One Summer!
    The M rating stayed on my license so I could buy my First Spyder at age 61!

I'm NOT a Biker-I Ride a Roadster!!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

My wife and I are both 40. I had been on dirt bikes in the distant past and she had never really ridden at all. I decided I wanted a bike and she wanted one too. We got a Spyder for her because she is afraid of two wheels. I was sad as I figured it would be some time before I could buy a bike too but we could both learn on the Spyder. First time I rode it, I was hooked and went back two days later and bought another for me ha ha. They are 2008 and 2009 GS models, but we got two for a little more than the price of one. Best money we have ever spent. She really wants an RT and I want an F3 but until then, these keep us greatly entertained. For us it is all about the stability of three wheels.
    Current: 2016 F3T Pure Magnesium
    Past: 2009 GS Phantom decked out in Transformers Decepticon badging, HMF Exhaust, HMF EFI Controller, K&N air filter, LED lighting

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I went to three wheels because I wanted the soles of my boots to last longer.

Spyder Garage

I really just do not give a dam what other people think. It is all about me and my wife.
    We both liked the look of a Harley Trike we were looking at and I love the sound of most Harley 's. When it came down to safety, cornering, and comfortable. Spyder won out easily.
    Its a blast to ride and great for tourning.
    Kenn

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We both could care less what others think. We pay so we say.
    Love the additional safety and security we feel with the Spyder. Love the trunk and extra bags on the back. No more deciding which clothes to take or how much water to carry. Love not worrying on a wet road or the occasional sand or leaves. With age comes wisdom ?
    That said it's unfortunate to repeat but my dealer says he can't get anyone under 45 to purchase a Spyder. Maybe things will change more in the future ? Until then we're more than happy on our choice of a ride.

Spyder Garage

I started riding over 50 years ago on a mini bike, home built with a chain saw motor, fast forward 50 years, bad knees,fused ankle, and other assorted injuries, left me not feeling as safe as I wanted to be on two wheels with my lovely bride for the last 40 years on the back. Looked at Spyders when they first came out but waited for a couple years to make sure they were going to be around for awhile.
    We bought our first RT and my bride fell in love with riding it by herself, she took it in for the first service and bought her own, one year later she has 20K on her roadster ! We are meeting new people and have joined a club and are living another chapter of our life together.
    2014 RTL , Black Currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post

Your #4 was my sole reason for getting my first Spyder. Now on my 3rd so you can readily tell I like the Spyder!! Most comments I get around here are from very envious people!! Have a great day and many miles of smiles!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by easysuper View Post
    I started riding over 50 years ago on a mini bike, home built with a chain saw motor, fast forward 50 years, bad knees,fused ankle, and other assorted injuries, left me not feeling as safe as I wanted to be on two wheels with my lovely bride for the last 40 years on the back. Looked at Spyders when they first came out but waited for a couple years to make sure they were going to be around for awhile.
    We bought our first RT and my bride fell in love with riding it by herself, she took it in for the first service and bought her own, one year later she has 20K on her roadster ! We are meeting new people and have joined a club and are living another chapter of our life together.
    That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

I did not get my spyder by age, limitations, looks, or abilities. For me it was more of "I've been there and done that". Probably could have pushed the limits of the two and four wheelers but had accidents and did not like them. If these had been around when I started out I would have gone for them right off. The fact that there are more older ryders just proves the roadster can span all ages and keeps us ryding longer. Though frowned upon by many there will come a day where they will be thankful there is this option and if they go for it they will realize what they have missed.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black