Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Comfort Seat Question?

The Comfort seat description says it pushes the rider back 2". How does that affect the passenger, does it make a big difference in passenger room? My wife is average size (I know this is dangerous territory) 5'5" 135lbs.

Spyder Garage

I have one, my wife is average size and she is comfortable. I don't use a backrest. Hope this helps.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

About 1 inch is taken from the passenger seating area. The other inch is absorbed in a smaller seat rise behind the driver. This would typically not be a problem for an "average sized" passenger. However, the driver does end up 2 inches closer to the passenger, so a driver backrest could be a problem for some passengers. Many people with the removable BRP backrest just pull the backrest off when riding with a passenger. Best way to tell for sure, is to go to a dealer and sit on one.
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-15-2015 at 08:04 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I just put a comfort seat on my spydee. It moves me back 2" which I was needing. However, it sits you up taller as well. My wife is 5' 2" tall tells me she now can't see anything but the back of my helmet.
    www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully
    FOBO TPMS
    LidLox (dual)
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    Cat Delete Performance Pipe
    F3T Top Case
    PPA Black Widow Wheels
    Custom Frunk Wrap

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    About 1 inch is taken from the passenger seating area. The other inch is absorbed in a smaller seat rise behind the driver. This would typically not be a problem for an "average sized" passenger. However, the driver does end up 2 inches closer to the passenger, so a driver backrest could be a problem for some passengers. Many people with the removable BRP backrest just pull the backrest off when riding with a passenger. Best way to tell for sure, is to go to a dealer and sit on one.
    I have the Utopia backrest and my wife says it does make a difference. I'm going to buy the quick release now so I can take the backrest out when she rides.

2015 Can-Am RT Limited Pearl White
    Farkle: Laser alignment, Bararon sway bar, Bump skid with LED, Tri Axis adjustable handlebar, BRP heated comfort seat, Utopia backrest, Kott grills, Tailgunner Black Widow exhaust, BRP adjustable side wind deflectors, and Upper wind deflectors.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KJWEB View Post
    I just put a comfort seat on my spydee. It moves me back 2" which I was needing. However, it sits you up taller as well. My wife is 5' 2" tall tells me she now can't see anything but the back of my helmet.
    I only put about 200 miles on my regular OEM seat...but I didn't notice the comfort seat sit me up higher. Interesting.

2015 Can-Am RT Limited Pearl White
    Farkle: Laser alignment, Bararon sway bar, Bump skid with LED, Tri Axis adjustable handlebar, BRP heated comfort seat, Utopia backrest, Kott grills, Tailgunner Black Widow exhaust, BRP adjustable side wind deflectors, and Upper wind deflectors.

Spyder Garage

Besides the two inch push back can anyone comment on the comfort of it. Is it noticeably firmer than the stock RT seat? The stocker is too soft for long days IMO. I like the ultimate seat but at half the cost, thinking heavily on the BRP offering.

Pat

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TEWKS View Post
    Besides the two inch push back can anyone comment on the comfort of it. Is it noticeably firmer than the stock RT seat? The stocker is too soft for long days IMO. I like the ultimate seat but at half the cost, thinking heavily on the BRP offering.

Pat
    It's more comforting than the stock seat. However, the Ultimate or Russell Day Long are better comfort wise.
    www.sasspyders.com
    2016 F3T
    2015 Freedom Trailer
    Sypderpops BumpSkid Plate
    Lamonster ISP Key Cover
    Lamonster F3 Bar Clamp and Power Port
    Lamonster RIP floorboards and frame caps
    Lamonster Chevron Highway Pegs
    BajaRon Swaybar & Heim Links
    F4 Custom 21" tinted windshield
    BRP Cannonball Seat
    BRP F3 Idler Pully
    FOBO TPMS
    LidLox (dual)
    Garmin 660LM GPS
    Cat Delete Performance Pipe
    F3T Top Case
    PPA Black Widow Wheels
    Custom Frunk Wrap

Spyder Garage

I have replaced every OEM seat that was on all five of my

Two Corbins, and three BRP Comfort seats.

IMO--the OEM seats are made of mush. The first 50 miles (for me) was about all I could stand before the hip and back started protesting.

Corbins: They are hard and firm. People either like them, or hate them. More expensive than the BRP Comfort. My experience is 55,000 plus miles on Corbins.

BRP Comfort: Two inch set back, more firm support. I no longer ride with any passengers. You are right in that the passenger will lose some room--more noticeable if you use a driver backrest of any kind. In your situation, that issue should not be a problem.
    I can go over 100 miles before I have to get off an stretch now.

The cost keeps going up for the BRP Comfort. They are no longer a "cheaper" alternative by much, in comparison to other brands.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The passenger's backrest that I bought with my Ultimate seat is shaped and angled differently than the stock piece and my wife finds it much more comfortable. It seems to compensate for the passenger space lost to my Ultimate "Tall Boy" seat. I find my endurance without stopping has at least doubled with this seat. I have no experience with the Comfort Seat, but I have spent a few hours riding with the BRP rider backrest, and while it's good, it doesn't pivot to adjust angle as you ride, and is less comfortable.
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by southjerseyrider View Post
    The Comfort seat description says it pushes the rider back 2". How does that affect the passenger, does it make a big difference in passenger room? My wife is average size (I know this is dangerous territory) 5'5" 135lbs.
    My wife says she feels crowded but comfortable.
    Speedbump
    Prescott, Arizona
    2015 RT Limited

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I replaced the OEM seat on my 14 RTL after 5K miles with the Ultimate tall boy seat. I had concerns about losing the 2" from the passenger seat, however once my wife 5' 3", 160 lbs sat in the passenger seat, she was very comfortable. I'm not sure where the 2" loss effects, but in our situation there was no noticeable change. The Ultimate Seat is expensive but in our case, the best decision we made.