Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default More fun taking pics with a GPS tracker

Things have really changed in the last few years technology wise. I like to take a lot of pics when I travel on the bike or the Spyder and I like to document my trips to share with others. I just added a new toy that's going to make this much more interactive.
    http://www.semsons.com/giphli.html

This is a GPS Data Logger. So what to you do with a GPS Data Logger? Well how this works is when I get on the bike and go for a ride this thing will create a track log. As a stop along the way I can do a few different things. Lets say I wanted to mark out all my fuel stops or stops along the way, I could mark waypoints at each location and it would create a route that I could download to my map. What I really bought it for was when I take pictures along the way I can then match up the time stamp on the photos with the GPS data log and it will create a map with push pins so you can see where I stop and took the pics on the map. I don't know why but I just think that's the coolest thing ever.

Here's a look at how the software works. http://www.gisteq.com/MACsoftwaretour.php

My friend Darrel just got his and made a little test map around his block with his data tracker. There's much more info you can add to this but this will give you an idea on how it could be used. If you click on any of the thumbnails below it will show you where the picture was taken on the map.
    http://www.mybikeforums.com/geotag

Anyway this weather really has me PMS'n bad and I can't wait to get out on the road and ride. I now have one more reason to do so.

Spyder Garage

Mate, are you in trouble with my "other half"...
    Theres another gadget I just have to have.
    2010 RT-S, PE#0011 (Babyanlee's "Evil Twin" in Australia), Garmin Zumo 660

Extremely Happy 2nd Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Better than a trail of breadcumbs. Do Hansel & Gretel know about this? Very good idea.
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

I have an app on my iPhone that will do similar
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Registered Users Jeff in Dallas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tatt2r View Post
    I have an app on my iPhone that will do similar
    Oooohhh... what's the app?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in Dallas View Post
    Oooohhh... what's the app?
    motion x gps
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

HOw about a functional review after you have used it abit. Will be most interesting...

It seems like a winner...

Spyder Garage

Hey lamonster, I was watching a video detailing some of the new features of iPhoto '09 and they said that some of the new cameras have a GPS device built in so that every picture you take has a GPS stamp (latitude and longitude h,m,s) on the photo. Sounds like that might save you a step in your new picture process but cost you a few bucks in a new camera. It looks like the new iPhoto will have the features that you linked to in your post.
    Last edited by bjt; 01-20-2009 at 09:14 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Hey lamonster, I was watching a video detailing some of the new features of iPhoto '09 and they said that some of the new cameras have a GPS device built in so that every picture you take has a GPS stamp (latitude and longitude h,m,s) on the photo. Sounds like that might save you a step in your new picture process but cost you a few bucks in a new camera. It looks like the new iPhoto will have the features that you linked to in your post.
    That's what put me on the quest to do this. Right now there is only one pocket type camera that has this that I know of. I'm sure in the next year or two all the cameras will have it built in. I like the camera I have now so there's no reason to spend $500 on a new one when this will get the job done just as well. It's just a matter of plugging it in to the usb.

Invalid Emails
    Pensacola Florida & Baja Alabama (Robertsdale)
    Spyder Garage

Default Could have really used this>>>>>>>>

>>>>>>in VietNam! Took a LOT of work and documentation to prove to the VA where we actually were!

Even on a local road trip one can spend more time trying to identify photo locations than I took riding to them. Will soon be installing a dash mount for my camera with a remote release at the grip. Probably will set it up to shoot through the CalSi vent.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    That's what put me on the quest to do this. Right now there is only one pocket type camera that has this that I know of. I'm sure in the next year or two all the cameras will have it built in. I like the camera I have now so there's no reason to spend $500 on a new one when this will get the job done just as well. It's just a matter of plugging it in to the usb.

I see what you mean about the lack of cameras with this feature. The only ones I found that are for sale right now are around $1,000. I may try the same thing that you are as that GPS logger is under $100 and I am very interested in being able to organize my photos with the Geotag data.

Spyder Garage

This is the only small one I've seen.
    -----------------------------------------

THENS, GREECE -- The Taiwan-based digital camera OEM Altek unveiled an 8-megapixel consumer digital camera with built-in GPS and automatic geotagging. The camera is expected to ship by June, and will be the world's first, according to the company. This camera is clearly not the first device to combine GPS and digital camera funtionality. Some GPS devices have a built in digital camera (but are designed primarily for GPS navigation). And some higher-end cameras have GPS features. This may, however, be the world's first pocket-sized consumer point-and-shoot camera with integrated GPS functions.
    Beyond the GPS functionality, the camera is pretty standard, and sports a 3-inch touch screen.
    Photos can be automatically geotagged, then shown based on where they were taken in Google Earth, Google Maps or Flickr's geotagged photos service.
    Another use for geotagged photos is that you can just snap a picture of a restaurant or other spot, and later get directions from wherever you are to that location.
    GPS-enabled digital camera will be great for "anywhere computing" extreme telecommuters, because photos are usually geographically based. They can help you remember where you took various photos and let you build a travel journal that's based on a map. It's likely that within a few years, most high-quality connsumer cameras will feature built-in GPS.
    Note that Altek is an OEM, so the camera will be sold under another brand, which was not announce

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Thanks bro. I see from your first post that you have already gotten the GPS logger. How does it work for you? From the reviews I've read on that one and a few of the others, it seems like its not an easy process to add the GPS data to the photos. ie, download the GPS logger data, download photos, run a software package that may or may not work very well to stamp the photos with the Geotag and finally, run a picture viewing software to look at the pictures with a map and "pushpins" marking the picture location. Plus you have to be sure your camera time and date is synced with the GPS logger or the locations are off.

It sure would be easier if it was integrated into the camera and the integrated GPS logger aquired the postion very quickly. Some of the complaints in the reviews of various loggers stated that they had to turn on the logger up to 15 minutes before taking pictures to allow the logger to lock in its postion.
    Last edited by bjt; 01-20-2009 at 05:35 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks bro. I see from your first post that you have already gotten the GPS logger. How does it work for you? From the reviews I've read on that one and a few of the others, it seems like its not an easy process to add the GPS data to the photos. ie, download the GPS logger data, download photos, run a software package that may or may not work very well to stamp the photos with the Geotag and finally, run a picture viewing software to look at the pictures with a map and "pushpins" marking the picture location. Plus you have to be sure your camera time and date is synced with the GPS logger or the locations are off.

Mines on the way but Darrel said his worked great. No issues at all. This was his test shots.
    http://www.mybikeforums.com/geotag

Spyder Garage

It sure would be easier if it was integrated into the camera and the integrated GPS logger aquired the postion very quickly. Some of the complaints in the reviews of various loggers stated that they had to turn on the logger up to 15 minutes before taking pictures to allow the logger to lock in its postion.

Oops, I added this bit as an edit after I initially posted.

Spyder Garage

Oops, I added this bit as an edit after I initially posted.
    Darrel said his locks in right away and even tracks him in the house.

Spyder Garage

Thank you SOOOO much for sharing this!! This will be great to have for our cross-country trip in September -- 16 states in 17 days!! So all you need is that GPS data logger and a digital camera?? Sounds almost too good to be true!
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Still working with trails of bread crumbs.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    You and me, both!
    -Scotty

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddog2 View Post
    Yea I know this is not for everyone but it is the future.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    Yea I know this is not for everyone but it is the future.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up

Lamont thats pretty cool but tell darrel we dont need to know whats going on in his house no offence.

Spyder Garage

PRETTY COOL I NEED TO GET ME ONE
    SPYDRRR

Spyder Garage

I'm adding it to my "to buy for the trip" list.
    2008 GS , ISCI Quantum Blue