Spyder Garage

Default Advice on a 2014 RT-S Purchase

Been lurking here for a couple of weeks, trying to learn enough to make an informed decision on buying my first Spyder (Harley rider in my past life). Recently ran across a deal I am very tempted to pull the trigger on--a substantially discounted 2014 RT-S. The catch is: it is one of the their training/demo bikes (just over a hundred miles). I am seeing mainly upsides to this deal but wanted to make sure I am not missing any downsides. Has anyone purchased a demo bike and had issues? Would such an arrangement make you more likely to buy extended warranties or services plans? (Especially since I am planning on using this to drive to work--40 miles round trip per work day for approx 8-9 months a year). Any thoughts would be appreciated--thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Get the extended warranty anyway; peace of mind is worth a lot!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That low a mileage won't make any difference, it's not broken in yet. If you buy it, vary the speeds regularly during the first 600 miles or so. Don't use the cruise control. Some recommend being firm on the brakes to set the pads and avoid rotor glazing.

I agree to buy the extended warranty anyway, demo or not. Good luck!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

When we bought our 2012 it was a demo unit with 1200 miles on it and got a nice discount. You can get the extended warranty anytime before the regular warranty runs out, just make sure they tell you when the regular warranty runs out. The regular warranty on demos starts when they put them out as demo units.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

The previous posters have already suggested what I would have. Enjoy.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default WHY WAIT ?

Besides being an insanely awesome machine. Likely the "demo" unit
    has had the most careful assembly and "pre-flight" of ANY other unit
    on their floor. (I know that's sad, but maybe true) Anchors Away ! and let us know how it goes.
    Flatlander, Navy Veteran, Widower
    Loved my 2014 RTS SE6 Pearl white
    but have a new love now,
    my 2017 RTS SE6 Champagne metallic (Champ)

Spyder Garage

Default Welcome..!!

to this awesome site... if your getting a great deal you will be happy with this RT. Have them throw in the extended warrany and you will be fine. Check her over for cosmetics and have them replaced (if any). Know many who have bought the demo and never an issue... hope your out there soon..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I have a 2014 RTS with over 8,500 miles and love it...so much so that the wife wanted to drive more. So we just acquired a 2014 ST Limited and it's a demo unit with only 1,100 miles. No qualms about a demo unit, especially from a quality dealer. Hard to beat a demo unit price.

Spyder Garage

Thanks all for the advice; helps give me a little more piece of mind. Will keep you posted on how it goes.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'd try to get the dealer to throw in the extended warranty. It can't hurt to ask.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

to the party............... with all of the above........get the extended warranty for sure

Spyder: 2011 RT Limited w/ RT-622 trailer
    Mods: ESI Brightsides, RT Rear Brightsides, HMT Brake Light, Scuff Guards, Utopia Backrest, Chrome, and more Chrome, Pearl White Rear View Mirrors, Rear Fender, and Dashboard, Black Rear Wheel and Belt Assy, SpyderPops Heat Shields & Bump Skid, Elka Stage 1+ Shocks, 2012 SF Graphics, Silver Carbonfiber Dash, Corbin Arm Rests, Baker A.W., BRP Vented WindShield. BR's Sway Bar, Tricled White Halo Lights, BadBoy Air Horn, Spyder Legs Floor Boards

Spyder Garage

Default get the extended warranty

EVERYTHING on this ride is computer controlled. I got the extended warranty on both of ours because replacing or fixing the electronics would be very, very expensive.

-Steve.
    2020 RT Limited , Petrol Metallic Dark

Spyder Garage

I wonder if they get much abuse in demo rides? I demoed a 2015 ST Limited about 3 weeks ago and no abuse from me - I just did a lot of figure 8's in the parking lot, rode down a busy street with numerous traffic signals, turned around and came back.

-Bill
    2019 Black F3-T

Spyder Garage

I recently purchased a 2014 RTS with about 400 miles. I'd recommend you get the extended warranty plus request the dealer do the first service. Not many miles, but it's been around awhile...

Aside from a horrible dealer experience, I'm extremely pleased with the bike. Good luck!

John

Spyder Garage

My '14 RTS had the extended warranty thrown in by BRP, it was a new one but the '15's were on the floor. My dealer didn't know that the incentive from the factory was in affect at the time, it was not being advertised. I got the paperwork from BRP with the extended warranty just a couple of weeks after purchase. Check with them, I am thinking you may get the extended warranty free. The promotion from BRP right now is up to 4000 off of select '14 models.
    Happy Spyderlovers

Spyder Garage

+1 on the OP who recommend asking the dealer to throw in the extended warranty. A demo bike with a little over 100 miles can't have seen that much use/wear. Heck, my demo ride was almost 50 miles and I was hooked. Go for it!
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default love mine too

I have a 2014 rts as well the cognac color I have almost eight thousand miles on it in and had no problems with that whatsoever very very pleased glad to hear you're enjoying yours in the Midwest

QUOTE=Husker;1036850]I have a 2014 RTS with over 8,500 miles and love it...so much so that the wife wanted to drive more. So we just acquired a 2014 ST Limited and it's a demo unit with only 1,100 miles. No qualms about a demo unit, especially from a quality dealer. Hard to beat a demo unit price.[/QUOTE]