Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Article in our local paper

Saturday, 12 September 2015

CanAmSpyder: Newbiesmay dig it, serious bikers, not somuch
    By CHARLES FLEMING
    LOS ANGELES TIMES
    The CanAm Spyder is one of the most eye-catching vehicles on the road, a Batmobike that elicits squeals of delight from people who don’t ride motorcycles and sneers of disdain from people who do.
    Non-bikers like its futuristic, forward-leaning looks; its wide, stable stance; and its ease of operation. Motorcyclists dislike it for the same reasons — dismissing it as a dim, dull variation on the glories of two-wheeling.
    The F3-S is CanAm’s sportiest Spyder.
    Powered by a 1300cc, 3-cylinder Rotax engine, and belt-driven through a fat, 15-inch rear tire, it offers 115 horsepower and 96 pound-feet of torque.
    It’s CanAm’s equivalent of a “naked” bike. Sold stock without windshieldor side bags — though those are available— this is an around-town cruiser designed more for stylish point-to-point acceleration than for long-distance touring.
    In an apparent attempt to appeal to non-motorcycleconsumers, CanAmhas made the Spyder extremely easy to ride.
    Gone are the traditional left-hand clutch, righthandfront brake and leftfoot shift levers.
    Instead, the transmission is automatic and braking to all three wheels is done through a single, right-foot brake pedal, just like in a car. A manual version is an option.
    The state of California makes the Spyder approachable too.
    Though operator and passenger must wear helmets— as they do with the three-wheeled Harley-Davidson Trike and TriGlide, Polaris Slingshot and Campagna T-Rex — no motorcycleendorsement is required to buy, register or ride any three-wheeled motorcycle, according to the California Department of Motor Vehicles.
    CanAm says that 25 percent of Spyder purchasers have no prior on-road riding experience, and that 25 percent of them are women. The company expects the F-3, newly introduced for 2015, will increase sales among cruiser riders.
    They’re paying a premium price for the experience. The Spyder line starts just below $15,000 for the RS model. The FS-3 sells for about $21,000.
    The CanAm line, manufactured and marketed by Canadian powersports company BRP, is getting a sales boost from increased interest in three-wheeled motorcycles. The company moved its 100,000th unit in May, and claims its RT and ST machines arethe top-selling touring bikes and sport touring bikes in North America, surpassing venerable two-wheelers like the Honda GoldWing, BMW K1600 GTL and Kawasaki Concours.
    Around town, the Spyder is an amusing commuter.
    Like most heavy motorcycles— this one weighs 850 pounds— the Spyder is clunky when it’s stationary but nimble when it’s on the move. On the freeway, speeds above 50 miles per hour feel quite stable. For twisty roads and canyons, CanAm has improved the Spyder’s traction control and stability control over previous models. In a sharp turn, these systems increase braking to the outside wheel and even cut power to the engine to reduce the danger of tipping over— a realconcern with some three-wheeled vehicles.
    The Spyder F3-S comes standard with Brembo brakes, ABS and cruise control. It also has a reverse gear, which is extremely helpful in maneuvering this heavy trike in and out of parking spaces.
    And, though fuel economyisn’t usually a sellingpoint on bigger bikes, CanAm boasts the Spyder F3 can go 252 freeway miles on a single tank of gas, getting upward of 35 miles per gallon from the 7.1-gallon tank.
    It’s an eye-catcher.
    Its aggressive forward stance, muscular shoulders and sinister Batman styling turn more heads than anything with a mere two or four wheels.
    People who don’t know anything about motorcycles, and who don’t ride, will stop and say, “Whatis that thing?” and “Iwant one!”
    People who do ride may feel different.
    Motorcyclists approaching the Spyder may experience a slight sensation of arachnophobia. For some two-wheel veterans, a three-wheeled motorcycle offers only a few of the pleasures associated with motorcycling.
    Yes, you’re riding free in the breeze, but a three-wheeler doesn’t lean or float like a motorcycle.
    Even though steering is done with handlebars, it requires some shoulder and armstrength.
    Important for California riders, you can’t lane-split with a wide Spyder, or sneak into narrow parking places. Caught three-wheeling in traffic, on a hot summer day, you might wish you were in a car, enjoying air conditioning and sipping a cool drink.
    The 2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S is an offshoot of the snowmobiles made by parent company BRP.
    It’s powered by a 1330cc, 3-cylinder engine thatmakes 115 horsepower. Price starts at $20,999.
    PHOTOS PROVIDED BY MYUNG J. CHUN/LOS ANGELES TIMES/TNS
    The 2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S rides on a 225/50R15 rear tire. Anti-lock brakes are standard. The engine is a 1330 cc, 3-cylinder that makes 115 horsepower. Price starts at $20,999.

Spyder Garage

Heavy bike clique: "the Spyder is clunky when it’s stationary but nimble when it’s on the move." How the heck can a 3 wheel vehicle be clunky with stationary. Sit on mine and it just, well sits there. No clunks. What a dumb thing to say by a journalist.
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Spyder Garage

This guy has obviously not experienced degenerative joint issues like some of us older folks which makes it difficult, even painful to balance any bike especially 500-900 pound ones.
    My Spyder lets me enjoy the ride, I don't have to worry about loosing my balance when I stop or the pain in my knees while doing same. I get to ride pain free and enjoy the ride!!!!
    May he remain blissful in his ignorance!!!! OK, soap box closed.
    Y'all ride safe!!!!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

A typical closed minded, biased report by someone that does not know diddly. Early reviews in the motorcycle magazines were very similar.

We know something they don't know. Articles like these also tend to keep the riff raff out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Ouch..!!

love how some people love to show their ignorance...and even publish it... he was absent for all that homework and research stuff...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

opinions are like elbows... everyone has some..

osm

Spyder Garage

Yeah but but but.....how could he say: Gone are the traditional left-hand clutch, righthandfront brake and leftfoot shift levers. Instead, the transmission is automatic and braking to all three wheels is done through a single, right-foot brake pedal, just like in a car. A manual version is an option.

??? I have a manual version, but I have yet seen an Automatic one? They are semi-automatic right? Or is there now an Automatic one? He sounds so stupid to me, he really has no clue....
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT SM6 with 400 miles 5/2015, 1800 8/5/2015, 3000 8/30/2015
    Farkles: Techmount Cell Phone Holder, Drink2Go Cup Holder, Hopnel Saddlebag Liner, Hopnel Trunk Liners, Hopnel 3 Lid Net Set, Utopia Backrest, MIKE'S Brake Pedal, LED Pods Lights, LED Tip Bulbs, JT's Dash Mount & Special Selfie Stick on Bike, GoPro Camera, Bajaron Sway Bar, LED Skid Plate, Belt Protector Guard, Mike's Speakers

Spyder Garage

At least the uninformed writer did not bring up the 200 MPH spedo. They never have a clue, clunky my ass
    If I can't fix it, I will fix it so no one can fix it. Sypder Loco!

Spyder Garage

I just got home from Spyderquest and had the unfortunate experience of reading this lame article in my local news paper. The 4 people I most commonly ride with are experienced riders and they all made the switch from a Harley. 3 of them ride an F3-s (not an FS-3) and they are all manual shift and the other is on an RS. There is no basis for this comment.

This journalist is an idiot!
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Spyder Garage

My spyder lets me enjoy the ride, where ever I go have people, asking me questions about my spyder, and I tell them all about it. I don't get any clunking from my spyder. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

while i agree with the journalist that the perception from bike riders (of which i still own and ride a sport bike, yamaha fz6r) is that its not "as fun or cool as 2 wheels" i certainly dont believe its true. Its just a different kind of fun than two wheels. I bought it because i have my sport bike for when i am alone and i had a big heavy cruiser for taking my wife or kid on a ride. With the spyder they are safer not having to worry about an errant sand or oil patch or tipping over in any way and compared to a cruiser the spyder is faster and handles better than any i have ridden. I think they biggest issue with the spyder getting more mainstream is the cost. What i find most interesting about this article is the idiot never even bother to try one before writing it, he could have rented one and had the paper pay for it but he was too lazy.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder article

YA CAN'T FIX STUPID!!!!.................EVEN WITH DUCT TAPE!!!! clunky??? my tush!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's amazing what gets printed these days...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

maybe when he said clunky he means bulky since it is larger then the average bike when parked

Spyder Garage

Sharon...you have a clunky tush?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    Sharon...you have a clunky tush?
    OF COURSE!!!! But the bike isn't CLUNKY!!! BULKY looking maybe. this so called journalist is as dumb as a stump. I am guessing he never took the bike out for a ryde. Just spouted BS.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Email to Charles Fleming, Los Angeles Times

Mr. Fleming -

As a Can Am owner, I found your review of Can Am's F3 and comments about the product line misleading. As a freelance writer, I found the writing style disturbing.

Riders and non-riders alike approach Can Am owners regularly with questions about the product. Sure, some bikers look at almost any other bike with a negative view, whether it has two wheels or three. Your comment that only non-riders have "squeals of delight" while it receives "sneers of disdain from those who do" (ride) is disingenuous. This is where my opinion changes to disturbing, because your article is clearly a mix of some facts and then repeated bashing of the product when you inject your personal opinion.

As a writer and reviewer, you should be able to maintain some detachment from the product, or at least reference a positive or negative opinion as being yours, rather than misrepresenting the dislike of Can Am by every "legitimate" biker out there. You should be better than this.

I rode a Suzuki cruiser for several years, until back surgeries made it difficult to hold up a 650 lb. two-wheeler. I did not find the Honda or Harley trikes to my liking, partly because of handling and cornering control issues that are well documented for classic trikes. The Can Am products solve these issues, partly due to the two wheels in front, and partly due to accelerometers that monitor for excessive cornering forces or a wheel leaving the ground, and help maintain control. Trust me, once an owner understands where the safety devices kick in, they can keep up with any but the fastest sport bikes in the twisties.

Your comment that implies a Spyder is only good for a local trip around town is also erroneous; Spyders have crossed many continents, owners have Iron Butt certificates, and a group just took theirs from the West Coast to Alaska and back. Some simple research on Spyder usage would quickly dispel the notion that any Spyder is only good for a short trip.

I hope your future reviews of products you personally don't care for will be more objective. I will choose to ignore your opinion and go ride my "clunky" Can Am Spyder.

Regards,

Paul R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MisterP View Post
    Mr. Fleming -

As a Can Am owner, I found your review of Can Am's F3 and comments about the product line misleading. As a freelance writer, I found the writing style disturbing.

Riders and non-riders alike approach Can Am owners regularly with questions about the product. Sure, some bikers look at almost any other bike with a negative view, whether it has two wheels or three. Your comment that only non-riders have "squeals of delight" while it receives "sneers of disdain from those who do" (ride) is disingenuous. This is where my opinion changes to disturbing, because your article is clearly a mix of some facts and then repeated bashing of the product when you inject your personal opinion.

As a writer and reviewer, you should be able to maintain some detachment from the product, or at least reference a positive or negative opinion as being yours, rather than misrepresenting the dislike of Can Am by every "legitimate" biker out there. You should be better than this.

I rode a Suzuki cruiser for several years, until back surgeries made it difficult to hold up a 650 lb. two-wheeler. I did not find the Honda or Harley trikes to my liking, partly because of handling and cornering control issues that are well documented for classic trikes. The Can Am products solve these issues, partly due to the two wheels in front, and partly due to accelerometers that monitor for excessive cornering forces or a wheel leaving the ground, and help maintain control. Trust me, once an owner understands where the safety devices kick in, they can keep up with any but the fastest sport bikes in the twisties.

Your comment that implies a Spyder is only good for a local trip around town is also erroneous; Spyders have crossed many continents, owners have Iron Butt certificates, and a group just took theirs from the West Coast to Alaska and back. Some simple research on Spyder usage would quickly dispel the notion that any Spyder is only good for a short trip.

I hope your future reviews of products you personally don't care for will be more objective. I will choose to ignore your opinion and go ride my "clunky" Can Am Spyder.

Regards,

Paul R
    Nice, i wish you would have mentioned he should actually try riding one before writing on one lol
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by latony007 View Post
    Nice, i wish you would have mentioned he should actually try riding one before writing on one lol
    Rarely do reviewers have an opportunity to operate what they discuss. I write automotive descriptions all the time (not reviews) that can be very specific, and I never see the cars. My problem was after a few facts, he bashed the product line. Then rinse and repeat. It was unbalanced, and I took him to task for it. That is how I designed my response, since actually riding one was unlikely.

arntufun

Overall, IMO it wasn't written as a negative article towards the Spyder at all. There were a lot of positives in there, but If you think you are going to be accepted by some die hard two wheelers as a real motorcyclist, you are sadly mistaken. The word "clunky" was in reference to the Spyder's size.

The Spyder and Slingshot are both misfits that are not motorcycles, and I'm proud to be on the isle of misfit toys with you !!!!!!!

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by arntufun; 09-17-2015 at 05:49 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    Overall, IMO it wasn't written as a negative article towards the Spyder at all. There were a lot of positives in there, but If you think you are going to be accepted by some die hard two wheelers as a real motorcyclist, you are sadly mistaken. The word "clunky" was in reference to the Spyder's size.

The Spyder and Slingshot are both misfits that are not motorcycles, and I'm proud to be on the isle of misfit toys with you !!!!!!!
    I see you removed your comment about us needing to relax. I'm very relaxed, but as a professional writer, I can tell when another writer is wrapping their personal opinions, most likely without any factual basis in having ridden a Spyder, with enough facts about the product to make his opinions seem real and supported by the general market.

An example you might relate to would involve me reviewing your Slingshot. I might write "this oversized Tonka Toy belongs on a playground for the kids to jump on, not on the roads with the rest of us. By the way, it comes with an engine displacement of blah blah..." That's exactly what he did with his Spyder review, and it's unbalanced and poorly written from that standpoint.

He also stated how expensive Spyders are, without a comparative fact about the high prices of Honda or Harley trikes. I didn't even get into that, but it was another example of tailoring the facts to support his negative view.

I'm done here. Let's all enjoy our rides!

Spyder Garage

lol, im relaxed too, but i follow the old writers adage of write about what you know. And if you have never been on one then you should have no opinions to offer. If you want to write up the spec sheet i guess you could but people can get that from the manufacturer. As for the slingshot they are not getting my waves on the road lol. We have to draw the line somewhere and since you sit in it instead of ride on it thats where i am drawing mine. Otherwise we might as well wave to convertibles too

p.s. Spyders are expensive!
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40