Spyder Garage

Exclamation "Missing Belt Guard"

I am not sure if I need to purchase this for my 2015 RT LTd???? Or is this not necessary as there is already a guard in place!
    Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

do you travel thru a lot of gravel or loose asphalt? Then you may need it other than that no..

Spyder Garage

Default Whats in a name..??

if you do hit the occasional dirt/gravel road it can be helpful seeing as it is a missing guard. The one you have does its job well but there is a space for stuff to get onto the belt and sproket from behind. Its inexpensive the belt not so much...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

you'll never need it until you need it. cheap insurance IMO
    2015 RT Limited Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Dont know about on RT But mine vibrated bolts out on STL. Fyi had a dealer bullatin (combined with safty recall) to replace with longer bolts. Mine was pulled up out of sight & I was very lucky Jim @Smoothspyder new where to look. (Could tell belt was eating into it, no expensive damage tho)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by View from behind View Post
    I am not sure if I need to purchase this for my 2015 RT LTd???? Or is this not necessary as there is already a guard in place!
    Thanks

As Chupaca noted there is a gap in your stock belt guard that is on the back side. I did install one on ours before our Alaska trip and we did travel down a lot of dirt roads. Not one rock in the belt. Very inexpensive insurance.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    As Chupaca noted there is a gap in your stock belt guard that is on the back side. I did install one on ours before our Alaska trip and we did travel down a lot of dirt roads. Not one rock in the belt. Very inexpensive insurance.
    Is there a specific brand and type that does the best job? I'm forced to ride rock roads on a regular basis and I think guarding the belt to the max is the best bet.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Spyderpops , a sponsor here sells them. Was one of the first things I did! Cheap belt insurance.
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    Spyderpops , a sponsor here sells them. Was one of the first things I did! Cheap belt insurance.

I have read several reports of rocks damaging belts/sprockets.... not sure how effective the piece Spyderpops sells is but for the price, well, was a no-brainer. If it cost twenty-two gazillion bucks, well I would have to make some sort of a decision but but a couple bucks, no decision needed. I bought one of those things right off. I have not had a problem with stones/gravel getting in my belt/sprocket and I do travel down some rough country roads. Heck I live on one although it was sort of paved (chip 'n tar - 25 years old at minimum).
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Netminder View Post
    That's the one I have!
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

A belt replacement with labor is about $350. Add a tow and you can easily make it $500. Belt guard--priceless.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I thought the belt alone was 300 buck?? I am going to guess more in the line of 500 bucks to replace.without towing

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    I thought the belt alone was 300 buck?? I am going to guess more in the line of 500 bucks to replace.without towing
    Last belt was about $285 then labor and tow. My numbers are based on replacing two belts so far. Yours may vary.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Last belt was about $285 then labor and tow. My numbers are based on replacing two belts so far. Yours may vary.
    You could be correct

Spyder Garage

Mine gets here on Monday and it is being put on immediately. I live on a dirt road that has the occasional loose rock, I do not want issues....especially out here in the boonies....(where I live!)
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT SM6 with 400 miles 5/2015, 1800 8/5/2015, 3000 8/30/2015
    Farkles: Techmount Cell Phone Holder, Drink2Go Cup Holder, Hopnel Saddlebag Liner, Hopnel Trunk Liners, Hopnel 3 Lid Net Set, Utopia Backrest, MIKE'S Brake Pedal, LED Pods Lights, LED Tip Bulbs, JT's Dash Mount & Special Selfie Stick on Bike, GoPro Camera, Bajaron Sway Bar, LED Skid Plate, Belt Protector Guard, Mike's Speakers

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SailnDive View Post
    Is there a specific brand and type that does the best job? I'm forced to ride rock roads on a regular basis and I think guarding the belt to the max is the best bet.
    As mentioned Spyderpops makes one, maybe even the only one. I made my own from a piece of Lexan patterning it after the pics of Spyderpops one and custom fitted. I used 3M trim mounting tape to hold it in place and one heavy duty cable tie for assurance.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by beadaholic View Post
    Mine gets here on Monday and it is being put on immediately. I live on a dirt road that has the occasional loose rock, I do not want issues....especially out here in the boonies....(where I live!)
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone.........ordering one today

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up #1

The missing belt guard was one of the first additions i put on my

Torn up drive belts cause:::::
    Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

check Spyderlovers.com --- free shipping!

Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone.........ordering one today

And after reading this thread, I did the same.
    Too much info on this Forum ! Gonna cost me mucho dinero - lol

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I Got a "Missing Belt Guard" Because....

Not that many gravel roads on my usual flight paths. But - here in beautiful S.E. Michigan, the roads just plain suck! Always falling into little bits of road-chunk. Every year or so I get a ruined windshield on my cage, from somebody kicking up a piece of the road at me. One of these years the roads will be fixed. I'll probably riding a 3 wheeler in heaven by then. After passing away peacefully at the age of 102.
    ~Sandee~

~Sandee~
    2016 RT-L (Purchased used in February 2018)
    RT Dash Mount (from JT's Spyder Store)
    Kuryakin Trident Highway Pegs
    Hopnel Pouch
    Magic Mirrors
    Spyderpops Foam Handgrips
    Iron Butt #35273
    Girls on Spyders #2779