Spyder Garage

Default What if the ST model is discontinued?

Let me start by saying that I have absolutely no knowledge nor do I want to start a rumor that the ST model is discontinuing for 2016. I'm asking the question "What if the ST model is discontinued in 2016" for a pure selfish reason. I'm considering acquiring a 2014 or 2015 ST at a greatly reduced price as a 2nd machine. What are the negatives to an owner of a 2014 or 2015 ST if it's discontinued? Are parts an issue for servicing? Are farkles an issue? Is it resale that should be worrying me? Any thoughts are appreciated and please, don't tell people Husker started a rumor. I want the ST model around for a long time...it's very enjoyable to ryde.

Spyder Garage

Most of the parts are the same except the tupperware. I wouldn't think there would be any problems down the road.

Spyder Garage

By law...manufacturers must have a supply of every part made for a minimum of 10 years from production. So I would not worry about that.

I know there are some great deals on 2014's and I am sure over the Winter will be great deals on 15's. On the 14's I think the rebate is now $4K. I got my ST-L in April a 14 model. List was almost $25K, $2K rebate and dealers "deal"....I got it for $17,300.00 I thought that was a good price.

I love the ST-L; the riding position, etc. With the dual saddle bags and the Frunk I carry everything I need and more. I use to tour on a Honda ST1300 and this ST has more room of course. It is comfortable and I feel much safer on it too (now that I am getting older).

The F3 for me....to sporty and cant carry much. The RT....to big, if I was touring a lot...then sure...but I am not and will not.

Heh...if you love the ST, I would not let the possibility of the model being discontinued to not get one.
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

A discontinued model will lose value right away. If you purchase one with a really, really, good deal--that will be negated somewhat. I would want 30% or more plus some goodies for pain and suffering.

Parts and service for the ST should not be to much of an issue since it is a part of the 998 family. There are a lot of those on the road and will be for years to come.

Since you are "considering acquiring" a 2014/2015, I would recommend holding off one more week for the "official" announcement of the 2016 lineup. Next Friday around 12:00 PM should have the site humming.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-11-2015 at 02:44 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

On farkles....if it is discontinued...then over time farkles will be few............ SO BUY ALL THE FARKLES YOU WANT NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Default Not to worry....

The ST is a combination of the RS and the RT. This means there would be few things if any that would no longer be available. Same would hold true if they wereto put the 1330 ace engine in the ST just speculating... 998 parts will always be available.... If you find a good deal go for it...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I bought my 2013 STS in May of 2015, it was a leftover, I saved a ton!!!! The RS and ST share a number of parts, engine, chassis, seat, tranny... The riding position was more comfortable for me, feet forward not tucked up under me, more relaxed, mainly because my knees are in rough shape. My knees do not hurt when I ride my Spyder. Just my $.02.
    Wait a bit and get a better deal. Good luck!!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Video 5

In the contest video 5 near the end there are only 3 models shown.
    In the first one it is clearly looks like a F3 from the front. The side view is blurry but the engine looks covered by tupperware, maybe.
    The second one it has ST headlights and mirrors. My guess is it's a ST.
    The last one has RT headlights and the shadow of the big butt of a RT. My guess RT.

Where is the RS? Maybe the first one is the RS that looks like the F3 and F3 was not shown since it was already announced?

Attached Images Attached Images

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

SHARP EYE

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    In the contest video 5 near the end there are only 3 models shown.
    In the first one it is clearly looks like a F3 from the front. The side view is blurry but the engine looks covered by tupperware, maybe.
    The second one it has ST headlights and mirrors. My guess is it's a ST.
    The last one has RT headlights and the shadow of the big butt of a RT. My guess RT.

Where is the RS? Maybe the first one is the RS that looks like the F3 and F3 was not shown since it was already announced?

13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I think that it was OJ (Perhaps ), who reported that no orders for RS models were being taken anymore in the UK...
    This latest movie sort of reinforces that notion.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I love my ST and would be very disappointed if it was discontinued - the F3 doesn't offer some key features that my ST-L has, such as an on-board stereo, comfortable seating position (for someone with a bad back), and plenty of storage for travelling. I know a lot of this could be added either as OEM kits or after-market, but that's a big pain in the butt!

Sent from my iPad

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default enough posts yet?

If I put it on enough posts - it may come true : ST SE6 please with 1330 motor

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Love our ST. Would like the new motor but hate the fact it cuts into the trunk space.

Spyder Garage

From this my guess is the RS is gone and the ST is upgraded to the 1330. Thus the 998 is gone from the line up. RT and F3 getting color and trim options only.

Long term, I see a reworked F3 based model replacing the RS with its sport riding position. It would not be that hard to outfit an F3 frame to accommodate that position.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WEB-WVR View Post
    By law...manufacturers must have a supply of every part made for a minimum of 10 years from production. So I would not worry about that.

I know there are some great deals on 2014's and I am sure over the Winter will be great deals on 15's. On the 14's I think the rebate is now $4K. I got my ST-L in April a 14 model. List was almost $25K, $2K rebate and dealers "deal"....I got it for $17,300.00 I thought that was a good price.

I love the ST-L; the riding position, etc. With the dual saddle bags and the Frunk I carry everything I need and more. I use to tour on a Honda ST1300 and this ST has more room of course. It is comfortable and I feel much safer on it too (now that I am getting older).

The F3 for me....to sporty and cant carry much. The RT....to big, if I was touring a lot...then sure...but I am not and will not.

Heh...if you love the ST, I would not let the possibility of the model being discontinued to not get one.
    The 10 year law is not enforced at all just like the do not call list I see brand new appliances I can't get parts for and a few year old ones with nla parts
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Default Not a big deal

It's pretty much an RS anyway. A MUCH more comfortable RS.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

when I was at the factory in Valcourt in June there were no RS or ST s on the production line - only F3 and RT. I know some folks love them and I respect that, but apparently it is not a big percentage so sure that will have some sway in the future
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't think that the ST is on the chopping block anyway...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I don't think that the ST is on the chopping block anyway...
    ST and Limited gone from the 2016 lineup. only the ST-S remains but for how long? Looks like their sport touring future is based on the F3.

Sent from my SCH-I915 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Just my $.02, it appears to me that the older styles, RS and ST are being phased out in favor of similar models in the F3 line. I really like my '13 STS and the 998 twin.
    Once you get used to keeping the RPM's up it runs great and has plenty of power. I rode a F3-S on Demo Day and the only advantage I saw to the 1330 was that it does have a
    bunch more low end torque, so there is less down shifting. For me, I am a happy Spyder owner and I'll be keeping my STS for a good while!

Spyder Garage

Default Just my opinion

I suspect that over the next couple years we'll see the ST go by the wayside. I suspect that the handwriting on the wall says that the F3 is replacing the ST series. I also suspect that the ST's don't sell as well as the RS and RT.

just my opinion.
    So far, my second childhood is better than my first.

Spyder Garage

I think the lesson in this is if you've been dragging your feet on farkles for your ST, stop thinking and start farkleing.
    Trb-- (Roger)

2014 Cognac STL:Ultimate Seat, Nelson Rigg Tail Pack, Nelson Rigg RS/ST Half Cover, TL fender lights, Squared Away Laser Alignment, BajaRon sway bar and links, Akropovic Sport Silencer
    2022 White Pearl F3T
    Gone but not forgotten: 2019 F3S Special Series Liquid Titanium

Spyder States Visited

Spyder Garage

More farkles! That's the ticket!!!! Since my better half doesn't ride with me, it should be easier to add farkles without too much notice, maybe a strategically placed cover after I put Spyder in the garage! I like it!!

Spyder Garage

How do I trade in for an F3 Limited and just say I added a few farkles?
    2017 F3 Limited
    2017 F3 Limited , Lamonster Black Dymond brake pedal with brake rod at #5 Pure Magnesium Metallic

Spyder Garage

I like the looks of my ST-L better than the F3 "ST". So I am happy with my selection.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Craig From Albany Oregon