Thread: Battery tenders

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery tenders

Can you just take the battery out and store it in a warm climate? why do you need a battery tender.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by nesdspyder View Post
    Can you just take the battery out and store it in a warm climate? why do you need a battery tender.
    If it is warm enough to ride year round--no reason to take out the battery. You will be charging it regularly.

If you park it for over a month or so, a battery tender (maintainer) is recommended. This will keep your battery at whatever charge it was at prior to shutdown.

Here the is parked from October through March. It gets a full tank of gas, some Stabil, and a one hour charge up ride prior to the big sleep. The battery tenders go on each one. Come March, the usually fire up on the first attempt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine will be parked I am sure nov.-april. Or else my sled will get very upset.

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Not a "need" but a very good "want"

The RT seems to need a little help with the battery situation. I can't tell you what seems to slowly draw down the sealed gel-cell but I can tell you that a battery tender plugged in each time you park overnight or longer will ensure that every time you will push the start button, you Can-Am will crank over. There are several ways to connect to the battery depending on the year and the model. It's worth the time and minimal cost for the peace of mind.

Spyder Garage

Default You can

A good battery on the shelf in a warm dry place should be fine. If it stays in the spyder you should have a tender on it. There are systems that draw on the battery though not much it can run it down just enough for it not to start...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Batteries store better in a cool dry place. Then I guess it depends how one defines warm.
    I define cool as refrigerator temp @45

AJ

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Voltage loss

Lead acid battries loose energy over time unless thier charge is maintained. Heat kills battries and cold just slowley discharges them. Vibration is also a battery killer. Below 9 volts or so a lead acid battery starts to sulfate and is now dying. When the lead sulfate reaches the bottom of the "plates" the battery will no longer hold a charge and is dead ( to be recycled )

Long story short------- use a battery tender to keep your battery at or above 12.6 volts .

Dead batteries cause:::::
    Kaos
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For what these machines cost; the price of whatever Battery maintenance system you choose, is pretty darn cheap...

...and the peace of mind that it will give you; is priceless!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    For what these machines cost; the price of whatever Battery maintenance system you choose, is pretty darn cheap...

...and the peace of mind that it will give you; is priceless!
    less than $100 to protect and extend the life of your battery. Priceless

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    If it is warm enough to ride year round--no reason to take out the battery. You will be charging it regularly.

If you park it for over a month or so, a battery tender (maintainer) is recommended. This will keep your battery at whatever charge it was at prior to shutdown.

Here the is parked from October through March. It gets a full tank of gas, some Stabil, and a one hour charge up ride prior to the big sleep. The battery tenders go on each one. Come March, the usually fire up on the first attempt.
    I agree 100% !
    On removing the battery....why go to the hassle ? And I am not sure but total removal may effect some of the electronics ? As above in Oregon typically riding season ends Nov > March....BUT...I use the tender 365 days a year. I unplug, starts on first attempt, ride...plug it back in. Battery is always fresh. A battery tender will also lengthen battery life. I like the Deltran Battery Tender Jr.
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Pampurrs View Post
    less than $100 to protect and extend the life of your battery. Priceless

Battery Tender Junior by Deltran on Amazon at under $25.00 ! What a deal and easy to use !
    Craig From Albany Oregon

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got the waterproof version of it. (I think it's called the 800...)
    I only plug my bikes in, when they're going to sit idle for at least a Month.
    My 2010 RT (650 watt magneto), would always take at least a twenty minute or so drink from it; before turning the light green...
    The 1330 (1200 watt alternator) only once showed the yellow light; I experimented a bit, and left if off of the charger for over two Months.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default BATTERY TENDER

My Battery Tender Plus was about 45.00 and It does a great job..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keep an eye out and you'll find battery tender jr's for $20.

Spyder Garage

Default Mine ,rarely need

Fyi Autozone found on sale with mail in rebate less than $30 total ,use it more for lawn mower & truck but is ez swap to anything & automatic makes it great. Couple of modles but I liked the lcd read out. Will confirm what size battery & % of charge or status (charging , maintaing). LOTS better than trickle charger I had. (Can trust enough to loan out & not worry friends will accidently break it). IMHO.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have several battery tenders, plugging in my tractor, riding mower and scoots. I also put one on my vehicles from time to time just to make sure they have a good charge. I leave them plugged in 24/7 and plug my scoots in when I finish riding. As said before, I change out my batteries every three years, needed or not. I don't want to get stuck in west Texas (or anywhere) with a dead battery. As we ride the year around, a strong battery is important as you know. (we had snow in 1984)

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Im a weekend warrior so although i will occasionally run errands on the spyder (or my yamaha) on the weekdays I mostly just ride on the weekends. Its pretty much all year round here in socal so its never sitting for a month at a time but i always put both my bike and the spyder on a tender on sunday assuming i wont ride it until next weekend. Its a no brainer in my opinion. They cost as others have pointed out 25$ on amazon and free shipped for the JR. which is perfect for the spyder. The cost to run it is like less than $1 a month. Plus its nice having that pigtail on there, they have all kinds of stuff you can attach to it, I have a USB receptor attached to my Yamaha so i can plug my phone in when im riding.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Harbour freight has a deluxe battery maintainer that I bought for 20 bucks and it works fine and heck I believe it is the deltran battery tender with a different sticker that says centrac, probably a remanufactued battery tender. Check it out.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

My Spyder gets parked from Oct. to April on a Deltran Battery Tender Junior @ Dealership, I have had the Deltran Battery Tender Jr. for 3 years, no problems. When spyder comes out of it loooooooooooooooooooong winters nap, it starts up, then I ride, ride, ride.

I live in the Northeast, we have a lot of snow, cold. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

Our computer runs the battery down over time, if you disconnect this reduces the amount considerably but it will still discharge over time and you will need to reset the clock etc.

I use a smart charger for motorcycles (mine can do car batteries as well and our battery size is included in this setting). All lead acid batteries do no like to be left in a discharged condition and each time that happens the life of the battery is cut shorter. This is why they make deep discharge batteries for trolling motors, they bounce back after discharge with ill effect but, they are heavier and lower CCAs for the same given case size.

To give maximum life to a battery a trickle (maintainer) charge will keep it topped up at all times. I don't like using cheap chargers, I had one from harbor freight that I left on a spare battery, it failed and cooked the battery. Smart chargers constantly monitor the batteries needs and apply just the right amount of current to keep the battery happy. Nothing worse then going for ride and coming back to a no start condition.