Lancaster PA transplant (Southern born and bred)
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery "issues"

While I was trying to add some reflective tape to my wheels, hubby was trying to put a battery tender harness on my . I thought he was going to go postal. Two hours later and it's still not on and he gave up. Do we have to take off all of the right side Tupperware where the negative terminal is? He was trying to loosen the bolt on the negative terminal but the washer underneath just kept spinning...so, it wouldn't loosen. Are we missing something?
    Last edited by Brettssunshine; 09-17-2015 at 06:33 PM.

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Brettssunshine View Post
    While I was trying to add some reflective tape to my wheels, hubby was trying to put a battery tender harness on my . I thought he was going to go postal. Two hours later and it's still not on and he gave up. Do we have to take off all of the right side Tupperware where the negative terminal is? He was trying to loosen the bolt on the negative terminal but the washer underneath just kept spinning...so, it wouldn't loosen. Are we missing something?
    Oh no. It would have been best not to have touched the negative jumper post. Once it is loose. It is a pain to get tight again. Somehow you need to stop the bolt from spinning from underneath. Some have bent an old wrench. Others have wedge a screwdriver against it. Good luck.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Oh no. It would have been best not to have touched the negative jumper post. Once it is loose. It is a pain to get tight again. Somehow you need to stop the bolt from spinning from underneath. Some have bent an old wrench. Others have wedge a screwdriver against it. Good luck.
    That's what he was doing...wedging a screwdriver against it and he still couldn't loosen it enough.

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Oh no..!!

sorry he didn't catch any of the warning posts on that little no no. The best thing he can do is tighten it back up and go to the battery directly. You do have to remove the left center and rear panel. Then you have access to the battery. The only other option is to cut the center of the negative ring so it will slip onto the loose post and tighten it back up seeing as he will have to do that any way. Still better to go to the battery. Don't know why they didn't tack weld that nut on make sure all your connections are tight...o
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Have him bring to my garage and I will fix it.
    Free fix good ride

Spyder Garage

Default Fix

Buy a box end wrench at harbor freight that fits. Bend it into a "U", use it to hold the nut. It will slip in to get around the stuff in the way. Once the ground is tight, connect the battery tender to the battery. Yes, a bit of Tupperware comes off, but easy to do. Good luck!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Hi Joe,

Re: Buy a box end wrench

What mm should that wrench be?

Thanks,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

Go to Sears you can buy these types of wrenches there.Mechanics use them all the time.I carry two mini socket wrenches.You can put any 1/4 sockets on them.One also has an offset head.You can get them into really small areas.The other thing you may try is a small channel lock pliers.Again I would go to a store that carries a very good supply of tools.

Sent from my iPad

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca;1034618[U
    ]sorry he didn't catch any of the warning posts on that little no no. [/U]The best thing he can do is tighten it back up and go to the battery directly. You do have to remove the left center and rear panel. Then you have access to the battery. The only other option is to cut the center of the negative ring so it will slip onto the loose post and tighten it back up seeing as he will have to do that any way. Still better to go to the battery. Don't know why they didn't tack weld that nut on make sure all your connections are tight...o
    I'm the one who reads the forum since the Spyder is mine. My projects for the evening were to put in my new LED headlight bulbs (looked up instructions on forum) and put the reflective tape on my wheels. I didn't know his plans were to hook up the harness or I would have done a search beforehand. Once he got started and was not succeeding, I told him we would probably have to take off some tupperware, but he was determined that wasn't happening. So.....my is not in any condition to ride until this issue is resolved. Hopefully, we'll get it worked out this evening. But, you know how men are at asking for directions .

2015 F3-S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Not asking for directions, is why this "cool little Dude" was invented:

Good Luck with getting everything put back together!
    Don't give your "Hugsband" too much grief over this; he sure isn't the first one to get caught by this little joke from the BRP engineers!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

My battery maintainer on the RS was directly to battery - Its Not hard to take off the Tupperware and you should learn to do it because you need to tighten the battery cables once in a while or you may wonder why it does not start some day?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge707 View Post
    My battery maintainer on the RS was directly to battery - Its Not hard to take off the Tupperware and you should learn to do it because you need to tighten the battery cables once in a while or you may wonder why it does not start some day?
    That's what he was trying to do was connect the harness to remain on the battery permanently....but was trying to take the easy way. I'm learning with my that there is no easy way.

2015 F3-S SE6

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You are correct; there is no "easy" way...
    It usually turns out that there's "BRP's way", and the "Interesting" way...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

ON my rts i bought a 'fused battery connector' from revzilla so i can jump start from it or hook battery tender to it quick & easy

Spyder Garage

Default Battery problems

What's the easiest way to tighten the bolt back up that's in between the positive and negative posts? I guess it's the ground? Hubby loosened it up when we were trying to install the tender connection and we can't get it tight...even pressing a screw driver to it, etc. it sits about mid-seat on my RS and with the Tupperware off, it's still not accessible.

Suggestions? I think this is the bolt we weren't suppose to touch.

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default No easy way to do it

There has been talk over the years of bending a wrench somehow to get on it.

Also heard of jamming a screwdriver into it or against it, or between it and whatever is next to it to hold the nut. I'm guessing the bolt goes down thru the top, and the nut is underneath. I never messed with it before because the " elders " said , "don't ever loosen that bolt." Is it possible to take a picture of it?
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    There has been talk over the years of bending a wrench somehow to get on it.

Also heard of jamming a screwdriver into it or against it, or between it and whatever is next to it to hold the nut. I'm guessing the bolt goes down thru the top, and the nut is underneath. I never messed with it before because the " elders " said , "don't ever loosen that bolt." Is it possible to take a picture of it?

We have tried everything to hold it to keep it from turning. I'll take a picture when I get home this afternoon and post it. We're wondering if this will cause a battery drain if that bolt isn't tight. My battery is not holding a charge now.
    Last edited by Brettssunshine; 09-18-2015 at 07:54 AM.

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

You probably should disconnect the battery until this situation gets resolved. Charge it or keep the battery tender on it.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Hubby takes care of all of this for me since he has to hook his bikes up too. I know that my battery has been charged and then was put on the tender......but didn't hold the charge. There was only one day in between (rode Saturday and Sunday, charged battery, put on tender) wouldn't' crank on Tuesday.

The battery was purchased in May 2015 by the previous owner (I know...that doesn't matter).

2015 F3-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Will not charge if cable is loose

Spyder Garage

The post that is closest in the picture is the ground post that we can't get to tighten back up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2015 F3-S SE6