Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Trunk with passenger back rest

Just got a 2008 GS...LOVE it!! I'm looking for ideas for a trunk with a passenger back rest. I've seen the Givi ones, but I've also seen pics of Spyders where people modified a Harley trunk for their bike. I will eventually be putting arm rests on as well so my kids can ride safely. If anyone has modified Harley or other manufacturer trunks, please share pics and let me know how you got it done. Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you look in the Spyder Accessories catalog at what they have for the ST; you'll see a backrest that accepts a top case...
    I don't know if it also fits the RS, but it might be worth asking about.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Corbin has a pricey, but nice travel trunk with a backrest. I had them on my 2008 and 2009.

My 2008 GS below.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default backrest

I've added a cheap-chinese top box which has a backrest, the motortrimmer changed the backrest part from crummy hard white foam-stuff to proper foam with a new leather cover. We attached it to the top-plate of the sports rack. It works well as an occasional backrest, but is not adjustable. A friend has their top-box on a givi mount avoiding the need for the sports rack, and any top-box could be used I guess. Mine was TMZ originally sold via Amazon. Givi and Shad have nice trunks with backrests - check out ebay.
    Question - do you have the sports rack? (replaces the tail piece) If so it's an easy add by mounting it onto the top plate.
    If not, and you don't want to buy and install the sports rack, my suggestion is to check out givi 'wingrack' top box mounts then add the trunk of your choosing. It may be useful to add a Wanted To Buy post ? somebody may have had this set-up and have traded their RS??
    Last edited by loisk; 09-09-2015 at 05:33 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yes, I have the sports rack. It has a standard back rest attached to it right now.

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkImageUploadedByTapatalk1441846481.484359.jpg
    Last edited by Grumbles13; 09-09-2015 at 07:54 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

GS (backrest)x armrest= RT
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

And if I could have afforded an RT, I would've gotten one. However, I had to trade my 2 wheeler in for a Spyder because I am a disabled vet and my disability was making it difficult to control the bike in slower speed turns. Luckily, the local Harley dealer had this bike for the last 4 months and was ready to make me a great deal on it. I don't find your joke anything to laugh about.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey grumbles - I've had an RS and now have an ST, and wouldn't even want an RT -- but I know lots who love them, especially for passengers. Make your bike exactly what you want, then enjoy the bejeesus out of it! Oh and yes, sometimes people's "jokes" lose a little in the translation to cyberspace

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's pretty easy to add. Just find a spare sport rack lid and add your flavor of box and your good to go.
    I had a 47L Givi laying around from a previous bike that mounted up with very little fabrication.
    The best thing, unlike the RT, is that you can take all the luggage off when not needed.uploadfromtaptalk1441848866099.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks loisk. It can eat a bit frustrating when a disability tries to take away something you enjoy. I may not be on two wheels anymore, but at least I'm still on wheels, and until I make it safer for my kids, they can't go riding with me. I really wanted an RT, but $ prevented it... All though it's really hard to find a manual RT, and I love shifting gears with a clutch and toe shifter!

DrewNJ...I'll look into the rack lid. Not sure what that is at this point. Thanks!!

Last edited by Grumbles13; 09-09-2015 at 08:57 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default rack lid

This is what we're talking about. Somebody on spyderlovers may have a spare.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Can-Am-Ca...item280605d565

Spyder Garage

I modified a generic trunk with back rest on to the sport rack so I could remove it when I didn't need the trunk on. I've traded in my rs ..... sooooo .... I do have it in my basement for sale I guess.... It does have a chip on the corner of the cover.... I'll try and find some pics of it

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks loisk.

Phantom888...pics would be great! What color is it?

Last edited by Grumbles13; 09-09-2015 at 09:34 PM.

Spyder Garage

Hi Grumbles13,

Re: What color is it?

I would not worry about color; just paint it black. That is what I did.

IMO Black works with anything.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

True.

Spyder Garage

Here is a stock picture of the trunk I purchased it off of ebay for $85. I never put on the chrome rack but I still have it somewhere safe i'm sure. All I did was drilled 4 holes into the sport rack and added some spacers to make the trunk level. When I get home tonight I will get the trunk out and take some pictures of it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We looked at those on eBay last night, but I think we've found one that will match the lines of the bike a little better. Thanks for your help, though!!!

Spyder Garage

Its pretty easy to mount it onto the sport rack. Plus it makes it easy to remove.

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Finally found some pics with it on the spyder...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom888 View Post
    I modified a generic trunk with back rest on to the sport rack so I could remove it when I didn't need the trunk on. I've traded in my rs ..... sooooo .... I do have it in my basement for sale I guess.... It does have a chip on the corner of the cover.... I'll try and find some pics of it
    Would be interested if u want to sell

Spyder Garage

what a great idea. Now if only the sport rack, otherwise known as a piece of metal, wasnt so damn expensive.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Default Redneck rig

The BRP top case backrest is WAY too expensive!& wont offer to color match sux more. Fyi I found a used RS local thst has a redneck atv rest with rack bolted straight to passenger grips. Cant say I suggest it , but not my bike. This guy said he made rack from bed rails corbin will most likely @least try to match bike color & do make quality stuff
    found this for kewlmetal
    i would like to get one for my ST.
    Last edited by Bfromla; 09-14-2015 at 02:23 AM. Reason: Vid
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    This is what we're talking about. Somebody on spyderlovers may have a spare.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Can-Am-Ca...item280605d565
    Can you by chance tell me if this will also fit a 2014 RS? This one looks like a streamlined fit.
    Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default sports rack

Quote Originally Posted by camogirl View Post
    Can you by chance tell me if this will also fit a 2014 RS? This one looks like a streamlined fit.
    Thanks
    It fits on this sports rack - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/like/1510...s=true&viphx=1

I don't know whether it fits 2014 RS but certainly fits earlier RS and 13 ST so probably. Note there's an 'extrusion bar' which goes on the bike too, invisible once installed. If you have a look at people's pics, you'll get a better idea of how it looks.

Spyder Garage

Default Hmmmm..

All this talk got me inspired. Tomorrow, hopefully, I will get a Givi E460. I plan on using the factory backrest base which came with my 08 GS. I decided to box it up when my wife informed me she would not be getting on the GS as a passenger,lol!, and got a sport rack super cheap.
    What I plan is being the backrest portion is already removed from the base, is to attach the Givi mount to it. And then the case to the Givi mount. That way I will be able to switch from the factory sport rack to the Givi with a simple pull of the cable.
    IT IS, WHAT IT IS...