Spyder Garage

Default Right Hand Side Grill for RT

I just purchased the Right side grill for my 2013 RTL. Part number 705004803. I have seen on the forum that many folks have ordered this for their 2013 RT to block off the lower dragon mouth. It is actually a part for the 2014 RT. I can see how it will easily fit BUT where does the heat go then. Do I have to cut holes in the underside of the bike to force the heat out there? Any help would be appreciated
    Jonny
    Jonny
    2013 Spyder RT Limited
    • TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Light
    • Spyderpops Bumpskid with TricLED LED kit
    • GloRyder Wheel Lights
    • Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    • Corbin Arm Rests
    • TricLED Turn Signals

Spyder Garage

Default Not sure..!!

should be similar to the RS but I installed a redirect system and added some ventilation on the bottom panels. Many removed those panels altogether but I do like having some protection there....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would certainly add some holes to the bottom of the bike.
    I think that Robmorg added this grille to his 2013; you might want to contact him directly about it.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

No need to make Swiss cheese on a 2013 there is more than enough ventilation from the recall. The upper hole still vents but if you want more ( I really doubt it is needed at the point ) this is what I did cut the bottom edges and made it a flap.

I cleaned up the rough edges after this shot

2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Dave,
    How much trimming did you have to do on the piece to make it fit in in the first place?? I just did a dry fit and it is apparent that the bottom section has to be trimmed for it to fit..
    Jonny
    2013 Spyder RT Limited
    • GloRyder Wheel Lights
    • Corbin Arm Rests
    • TricLED Turn Signals

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysevel View Post
    Dave,
    How much trimming did you have to do on the piece to make it fit in in the first place?? I just did a dry fit and it is apparent that the bottom section has to be trimmed for it to fit..
    I could have left the right hand tab and a touch more on the lower left but here is what I did.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Magdave View Post
    I could have left the right hand tab and a touch more on the lower left but here is what I did.
    That is PERFECT! time to break out the Dremel and get to work! Thanks Dave

Jonny
    Jonny
    2013 Spyder RT Limited
    • GloRyder Wheel Lights
    • Corbin Arm Rests
    • TricLED Turn Signals

Spyder Garage

I did almost exactly what Magdave did above, except that I did not close off the upper grill. (I did cut it just slightly lower and Dave did.) Because my grill was left open, I still can't use my highway pegs as my ankle gets cooked in a matter of seconds. However the lower block off did alleviate the heat on my right foot when my feet are on the floorboards.

After shaving the bottom, the 2014 RH grill fits the 2013 RT very well. There is a slotted tab at the front of the grill which you can fasten to an existing internal panel with a sheet metal screw.

I'd like to be able to use my highway pegs. But I'm concerned that if I block off the grill area I'm still going to have to find an alternate escape route for the radiator heat. So I'm still contemplating what to do next .
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-09-2015 at 01:45 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I installed the piece as it comes without modification and blocked off the upper grille with black landscape fabric. Removed sound panels from bottom of engine bay and opened air duct from fan to blow air straight down at pavement.

Works great, no heat on rider, no change in running temps and helps get heat out of engine bay.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I installed the piece as it comes without modification and blocked off the upper grille with black landscape fabric. Removed sound panels from bottom of engine bay and opened air duct from fan to blow air straight down at pavement.

Works great, no heat on rider, no change in running temps and helps get heat out of engine bay.
    The swoop panels in a 2013 cannot be removed for a straight down blow they would have to be cut. Another 2014 transition piece the '13s had that prior years did not. I have had no change in engine temps even in 100+ temps without cutting anything but the grille. The added plus on this mod is the honey comb is deep enough that it actually shoots the hot upper air outward when stopped (only time fan is on for me). I use Seal FBs and have absolutely no discomfort. The 2013 recall removed the acoustic panels and allow and additional gap at the cover to body area.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dave,
    I'm glad to hear that the Summer heat hasn't punched any holes in your newfound enjoyment of your bike!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441841203.991879.jpg
    Did some trimming and the piece fits in perfectly and looks great. Finally the bike looks balanced. Yet to see how it directs the heat..
    Jonny
    2013 Spyder RT Limited
    • GloRyder Wheel Lights
    • Corbin Arm Rests
    • TricLED Turn Signals

Spyder Garage

The swoop panels in a 2013 cannot be removed for a straight down blow they would have to be cut.

I said I opened the air duct from the fan to blow downward. I did not want any hot air blowing out the side at me or my leg. Glad to hear your method worked well for you.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jonnysevel View Post
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441841203.991879.jpg
    Did some trimming and the piece fits in perfectly and looks great. Finally the bike looks balanced. Yet to see how it directs the heat..
    It won't help your Highway peg but it will definitely help the FB area. It is worth it just for visual improvement to me

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Dave,
    I'm glad to hear that the Summer heat hasn't punched any holes in your newfound enjoyment of your bike!
    The only discomfort has been the constant rain and tourists. Gotta keep you head on a swivel around here during tourist season. Looking forward to the fall now that Labor Day has past the traffic will let up.

Spyder Garage

It won't help your Highway peg but it will definitely help the FB area. It is worth it just for visual improvement to me
    Yeah...my highway peg is right in the line of fire!! I am thinking of cutting some holes in the bottom to hopefully push some of the hot air out of the bottom. Gotta get under there to see how feasible that is.
    Jonny
    2013 Spyder RT Limited
    • GloRyder Wheel Lights
    • Corbin Arm Rests
    • TricLED Turn Signals