Spyder Garage

Default ST Riding Questions

I have over 8,000 riding miles on our 2014 RTS, but we're considering an ST for a 2nd family Spyder. I have a 2014 ST Limited on a demo ride and enjoy many facets of the machine. It's perky, energetic, and different than our RTS. It's also not as smooth on rough roads, harder to hold constant speeds (I think due to higher RPM's & Operator error), and a lot more windy.

So a few Spyder friends have chimed in that for the long distance riding that they'd prefer the RTS 1330 for better gas mileage and storage. Here are a couple of my questions...Does anyone have experience with a different windshield to keep more wind off the driver? The stock windshield is only 19 inches tall and very narrow. I felt a lot of wind...which is nice when it's over 80 degrees, but makes for a chilly ride below 60. Any real world experience with Calsci or F4 is appreciated. Lastly, are there any RT 1330 riders that have moved to the 998 engine? It's a totally different ride, but that also intrigues me.

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one..!!

Most ryders moved in the other direction. The windshields are many but will let those using them fill you in. You will have to adjust to the 998 V-Twin if you have never ryden one. Not unlike coming from a wing to the older RT's. Most of those moved up to the triple getting used to a high revving twin is a tough adjustment. Harley rydes suffered as well. I love the twin and will ryde it till one of us dies... if it goes first I hope I can get another...but thats me.. Once you get the hang of it you will love it or leave it. Like a cadillac and a vette..ones all comfort the other all adrenaline...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Tough choice

Love my STL. Had fun on F3test ride but was to spoilt(radio & windshield) to consider. Is shame they do not offer the ST with 1330 but keeps few 998's out for options & shared expierance. Milage is workable just pay attention to what you enjoy. If price is right,you will
    for sure enjoy the limited. Looking at trailer here soon ,add even more fun. Fyi bike only 474 days new & at 23k miles 9 states visited. As a solo ryder its perfect for me. As long as its a you will be happy
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I test rode an ST Limited back in 2012, and my feeling pretty much was the same as yours: responsive and nimble, but too much wind for my taste...
    I seem to recall that there were some issues with windshields not staying in place; particularly if a larger one was being used. I would hope that this has all been taken care of by now; but it doesn't hurt to ask about it.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Husker View Post
    I have over 8,000 riding miles on our 2014 RTS, but we're considering an ST for a 2nd family Spyder. I have a 2014 ST Limited on a demo ride and enjoy many facets of the machine. It's perky, energetic, and different than our RTS. It's also not as smooth on rough roads, harder to hold constant speeds (I think due to higher RPM's & Operator error), and a lot more windy.

So a few Spyder friends have chimed in that for the long distance riding that they'd prefer the RTS 1330 for better gas mileage and storage. Here are a couple of my questions...Does anyone have experience with a different windshield to keep more wind off the driver? The stock windshield is only 19 inches tall and very narrow. I felt a lot of wind...which is nice when it's over 80 degrees, but makes for a chilly ride below 60. Any real world experience with Calsci or F4 is appreciated. Lastly, are there any RT 1330 riders that have moved to the 998 engine? It's a totally different ride, but that also intrigues me.
    Sorry that I don't have anything to add to this discussion, but I am very interested in the feed back that you receive. Although I love my RT with the 1330, I do most of my riding solo, and really would like to have a little sportier and possibly more nimble ride to have. I was wondering does the difference in weight make a difference in exceleration.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

I have only had my ST-S for 4 months, but I love riding it, after adding the BajaRon sway bar it corners so much better, it is a blast!! I have been riding with my windshield all the way down for the Summer, when the temps start to fall I will raise it back up. I am not a tall person at 5'9" but I do have some buffeting at the top of my helmet with the windshield all the way up. Maybe a Laminar Lip will fix that, at least I am considering it.
    As far as the difference in riding experience, I would think the ST at about 300 pounds lighter is a bit more sporty handling than a RT (I've not ridden a RT). As for the difference between the 1330cc and the 998cc engines, it is a matter of realizing the difference in design. The 998 operates best above 4,000 RPM so I will use the tranny to make sure I do not lug the engine. I rode a F3S at a Demo-Days event and it has a bunch more low end torque and it takes low RPM roll-on very well, where the 998 needs to drop a gear or two to get the RPMs up before you do a low speed roll-on. Once above 4500 RPM the 998 starts making steam!! My biggest problem is twisting the throttle hard, because it is so much FUN!!!!!! Gas mileage suffers a bit.
    Good luck with your choice!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

I would hold off for another week. There are rumors that the ST may be headed for the chopping block. A discontinued model will result in devaluation--unless you are getting a really, really, good price.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I have have a Laminar Lip that I fit to the Wing for longer trips and it does make an improvement pushing the air over both the driver and passenger!

Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post
    I have only had my ST-S for 4 months, but I love riding it, after adding the BajaRon sway bar it corners so much better, it is a blast!! I have been riding with my windshield all the way down for the Summer, when the temps start to fall I will raise it back up. I am not a tall person at 5'9" but I do have some buffeting at the top of my helmet with the windshield all the way up. Maybe a Laminar Lip will fix that, at least I am considering it.
    As far as the difference in riding experience, I would think the ST at about 300 pounds lighter is a bit more sporty handling than a RT (I've not ridden a RT). As for the difference between the 1330cc and the 998cc engines, it is a matter of realizing the difference in design. The 998 operates best above 4,000 RPM so I will use the tranny to make sure I do not lug the engine. I rode a F3S at a Demo-Days event and it has a bunch more low end torque and it takes low RPM roll-on very well, where the 998 needs to drop a gear or two to get the RPMs up before you do a low speed roll-on. Once above 4500 RPM the 998 starts making steam!! My biggest problem is twisting the throttle hard, because it is so much FUN!!!!!! Gas mileage suffers a bit.
    Good luck with your choice!
    2012 RT , Yes Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Husker View Post

You and I spoke a little about this at Sydermania. We do have a STS (Wife) and RTS (me) Our situation is a little different due to both being 998's our STS does have a bigger sway bar and Elka stage 1 shocks on the front and is laser aligned With those adds the STS is like on rails in the curves and doesn't wonder. The STS windshield does allow more wind hit you that my RTS with F4 wide tall windshield but that is the type of bike the STS is. the STS shield does adjust up and down manually but that doesn't do much for the side wind.
    Bryan

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

To answer your question about shields......I've had a STL since March 2013.....hated the shield that came with it....early on, like April or May 2013 ordered Calsci extra wide shield....love it.....totally blocks the wind on the sides.....I do long distance riding and the STL is great....in June we rode 8500 miles in 27 days.....the STL performed perfect....I have cruise control...but mostly just use a palm/cramp buster.....the ST does not ride like the RT....RT is smoother...like riding a cloud....I want to feel the road.....but as akspyderman said...wait until September 18th when BRP...Can-am introduces the 2016 line-up......hoping for a 1330 in the ST ....but really feel the ST will be cut....time.....8 days

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Spyder Garage

Default My 2 cents

2012 RTS was my first Spyder, 2013 STL my second. I changed for several reasons (in no particular order):

1. I like the styling better (back end); the rear bags are removable and with a GIVI top case (not the oem offering), there is more storage potential
    2. The bike is not as wide (between the knees) as the RTS. On long trips, you notice the difference. If you sit on the bikes back to back, you notice it too
    3. The 2013 had the bigger front brake discs/better calipers - but all RTS and upper end ST 2013+ spyders have the better brakes.

I have found the oem windscreen was not the best for me (5' 11", 31" inseam) so I switched to the taller factory offering. This windscreen worked for me when in the full up position. I can ride with it down at lower speeds and find it just right.

The STL can be made to ride as good as the RTS - but there is no passenger heater grips. I had the drive belt damper, swaybar (Hypercoil stiffer springs front and rear to come), and different saddle. Make sure the tires are balanced.

I like the Limited model mostly because of the CC and radio

I like the advise to wait. Even if dropped from the 2016 lineup, I would still recommend the STL. Waiting will allow you to get a better price for one. If not dropped, here is hopping it gets the bigger engine!

Jerry

13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle