Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default F3 passenger extended comfort

Howdy folks,

My wife and I are purchasing a spyder soon. We like the F3 a lot, but are concerned about passenger comfort. Would she be comfy for a 3 hour ride with the backrest? If not we may need to get the rt-s. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Last edited by pludn; 09-08-2015 at 08:58 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pludn View Post
    Howdy folks,

My wife and I are purchasing a spyder soon. We like the F3 a lot, but are concerned about passenger comfort. Would she be comfy for. 3 hour ride with the backrest? If not we may need to get the rt-s. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    Would she be comfortable??? Yes!! As comfortable??? No!!

Spyder Garage

Howdy folks,

My wife and I are purchasing a spyder soon. We like the F3 a lot, but are concerned about passenger comfort. Would she be comfy for. 3 hour ride with the backrest? If not we may need to get the rt-s. Any thoughts are appreciated.
    It kind of depends on what she is used to and other factors. I know women that can be on the back of a sport bike all day long, but I also know women that are used to a Road Glide Ultra and would never step foot on a something with less seat padding and back support.

The only real way to know is to test ride both.

Spyder Garage

She is used to cars.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Rt for sure if she is used to that comfort

Spyder Garage

Drastically different between the two? The Rt-s doesn't look as nice, but was comfy.

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one..!!

this is a joint decision or are you good with either one..?? My wife is fine with the backrest on our RS but only for 400+ miles. She has ryden with me on all my critters, this is the most comfortable. Yours coming from a car may or may not adapt. The problem is changing from the F3 to the RT will or can be an expensive one. Quick test ryde on both could clear this up for you both...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the feedback. I'm good either way, but want her to be comfortable and not worry about falling off. I plan to to the test drive soon.

Spyder Garage

If you have a wife that rides with you a lot I would go with the RT-S. If it's a part time thing she will be fine on the F3 and you will have a lot more fun.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TommyBwell View Post
    If you have a wife that rides with you a lot I would go with the RT-S. If it's a part time thing she will be fine on the F3 and you will have a lot more fun.
    Thinking about doing a couple hour drive to national parks on the weekends with the two of us. I'd like to commute once or twice a week with it too.

Spyder Garage

A test drive on both flavors should help you to make the right decision.

Do you prefer a cruiser style ride or a Cadillac type ride? I lean towards the RT--but am biased a bit.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    A test drive on both flavors should help you to make the right decision.

Do you prefer a cruiser style ride or a Cadillac type ride? I lean towards the RT--but am biased a bit.
    I have a 2015 Durango R/T. I like the power and the comfort, but still having sport genetics.

The F3-S seems like it would be a great solo ride and not bad for two folks. I think the RT-S looks less mean, but is made for 2 up instead of being able to do 2 up. We're in our early 30s so we're also struggling with the getting old parts of life. If we keep this for 6 years we'll be almost 40 :/

My goal is to get the wife an enjoyable open air ride that she will want to do repeatedly. She's never been on open air so sadly, a test drive on each won't be enough to sway her. I'll have to use my gut on it.

The F3 talks to my style/sport side while the RT-S is a safer goldwing to me.

I read a lot about being tossed around in the RT-S as a passenger, I don't see any feedback on this on the F3. Due to the desgin of the bike being so great for 1 up I am having a real hard time finding solid info on 2 up outside of this thread.

P.S. Thanks for welcoming me in with all these replies. In a few weeks after my purchase I'll be moving in for the long haul.

Spyder Garage

I have a 2015 Durango R/T. I like the power and the comfort, but still having sport genetics.

The F3-S seems like it would be a great solo ride and not bad for two folks. I think the RT-S looks less mean, but is made for 2 up instead of being able to do 2 up. We're in our early 30s so we're also struggling with the getting old parts of life. If we keep this for 6 years we'll be almost 40 :/

My goal is to get the wife an enjoyable open air ride that she will want to do repeatedly. She's never been on open air so sadly, a test drive on each won't be enough to sway her. I'll have to use my gut on it.

The F3 talks to my style/sport side while the RT-S is a safer goldwing to me.

I read a lot about being tossed around in the RT-S as a passenger, I don't see any feedback on this on the F3. Due to the desgin of the bike being so great for 1 up I am having a real hard time finding solid info on 2 up outside of this thread.

P.S. Thanks for welcoming me in with all these replies. In a few weeks after my purchase I'll be moving in for the long haul.
    I will add a couple other thoughts.

: Style-wise, I like the F3. It looks mean and fast standing still.

: The F3 will surely give the cruiser style ride. Okay for short rides for the passenger--but repeated application may lead to unhappiness from your passenger.

: You have age on your side--lucky you folks. Less pain an suffering for the young.

: The RT will give you more of a Gold Wing style ride.

: Tossed around on the RT?--I have not experienced that. Akspyderlady rode pillion for over 10,000 miles her first season. She loved every mile. IMO--the secret is to become one with the RT. Lean with the driver, use the arm grab handles, plant the outside foot on the floorboard when making sharp turns. The driver can lessen the g's by taking those sharp turns gentle.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I will add a couple other thoughts.

: Style-wise, I like the F3. It looks mean and fast standing still.

: The F3 will surely give the cruiser style ride. Okay for short rides for the passenger--but repeated application may lead to unhappiness from your passenger.

: You have age on your side--lucky you folks. Less pain an suffering for the young.

: The RT will give you more of a Gold Wing style ride.

: Tossed around on the RT?--I have not experienced that. Akspyderlady rode pillion for over 10,000 miles her first season. She loved every mile. IMO--the secret is to become one with the RT. Lean with the driver, use the arm grab handles, plant the outside foot on the floorboard when making sharp turns. The driver can lessen the g's by taking those sharp turns gentle.
    Seeing as you have a lot of RT riding experience would you say that driving an hour away to spend a few hours driving 2 up in the mountains and the driving back home would be best spent on the RT-S vs the F3? Logically I want to say yes, considering the speakers and all the extras.

If it's not obvious we really like both... lol
    Last edited by pludn; 09-08-2015 at 09:51 PM.

Spyder Garage

After an hour of riding the F3, with the Capt. Jim backrest, I pulled over to ask my wife if she was ready to head home. To my surprise, she was SLEEP!!!

Life is GOOD...............
    2015 F3S
    SmoothSpyder backrest
    lidloxs
    Gloryder F3 Logo Lights
    Lamonster mirror relocations and turn signals
    Lamonster fog light kit
    Lamonster Power Plate
    X Grip
    Ram mount

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ATitus View Post
    After an hour of riding the F3, with the Capt. Jim backrest, I pulled over to ask my wife if she was ready to head home. To my surprise, she was SLEEP!!!
    LMAO, that's a comfy seat!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default RTS or F3

Wait two weeks and see if BRP offers a touring F3???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    Wait two weeks and see if BRP offers a touring F3???
    2016 lineup announcement? Off to google!

Spyder Garage

Hi. I am happy to share my personal experience as a female passenger on both an RT and an F3. We have taken long trips on both (all day to several days). I was comfortable on the RT, but I am equally comfortable on our F3. In fact, I like the ride much better on the F3. We added a Can Am full back rest made for the F3, and my husband purchased a Butt Buffer which is a thin pad with gel inside. I truly can ride on the F3 all day without issue. I actually feel a tad more secure on the F3, believe it or not. I actually used to bounce around a bit within the RT seat on occasion, and it always made me a little skittish. I used to feel I needed a seatbelt. I sit totally still on the F3. It reminds me of riding as a passenger on our former bike, a BMW R1100RT. The F3 is a similar feel to the BMW as a riding passenger. I hope this helps. I am happy to answer additional questions if you have any.

Spyder Garage

Default rear seat

I asked the question before was the f3 really like a sport bike a single rider machine that two people can ride on or was it like a sport bike really made for one person. my wife has ridden with me thru one metric cruiser, vmax, one zx1100 one Valkyrie one honda Goldwing and 4 spyders. I know on long rides she likes to go to sleep. on the zx1100 I would feel her start to slide down my back, i would goose the bike and she would wake up. on the Honda you could here her snoring. on my rt I hear that snore. my f3 is a single seater. that is my take. deerlover milt

Spyder Garage

Seeing as you have a lot of RT riding experience would you say that driving an hour away to spend a few hours driving 2 up in the mountains and the driving back home would be best spent on the RT-S vs the F3? Logically I want to say yes, considering the speakers and all the extras.

If it's not obvious we really like both... lol
    Some good answers to your question (above now) by riders with more experience on the F3. I will defer to them. Half the fun is the shopping.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 09-09-2015 at 01:54 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My occasional passenger tells me she likes the F3 ride better then my 2012 RT. Just one opinion.
    2015 F3s White

BRP Drivers and Passenger backrest
    Blue Ridge windshield
    Corbin Saddle Bags

Spyder Garage

Really great info everyone, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

My wife has had her RT for over four years, and we rode two-up infrequently. When we picked up my F3 in February, we rode to the dealer, about 20 miles away, two-up, with her as the passenger. She dropped her Spyder off to get new tires and then took the F3 out for a 100 mile round trip ride to lunch, with her as passenger again (and no backrest!). She said she liked the F3 better!

I don't want to talk you out of the F3, but one other thing to think about is whether you think your 3-4 hour day rides will turn into 2-3 day weekend rides, assuming she really gets into the riding. The RT will likely be better suited for carrying what you need for the weekend. (If we were to go 2-up for a long weekend on just my wife's RT, I'd probably be lucky to get just one saddlebag worth of space!)

Good luck with your decision! Either way, you'll have a blast on the Spyder!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Carl

2017 Can Am F3-L (current ryde)
    2015 Can Am F3-S (previous ryde)
    2012 BMW K1600 (previous ride)
    2016 Can Am F3-T (wife's)

Spyder Garage

No intention to offend here but you need an RT. With Corbin Armrests

The falling off and car comfort comments are a dead give away

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk