Spyder Garage

Default Cruise Control -RT-S

2015 RT-S. When I set the cruise control, it appears that the throttle has been activated. I can not increase the speed with the throttle. Is this normal. I briefly read the manual and it appears to contradict what I am saying.

I have been setting the cruise control but pushing the button up. Manual says you should set by pushing it down. Not sure how this would make a difference.

I have tested this multiple times and same result.

Do I have a problem ?

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Tapping that button "up", is done to add some speed...
    Try tapping it "down", and see if it engages the cruise a bit smoother for you.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

On My 2012 RT-L, I set the cruse by pushing down, if I deactivated it by taping the break pedal, I can push it up to resume the previously set speed or push it down to set a new speed. You can tap it up or down at anytime the cruse is activated to increase or decrease your speed. Changing gears will always deactivate the cruse.

When in cruse I can use the throttle to increase my speed at any time, letting go the bike will resume the set speed. I use this all the time for overtaking HD's.
    Last edited by Frank G; 09-08-2015 at 08:47 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Tapping that button "up", is done to add some speed...
    Try tapping it "down", and see if it engages the cruise a bit smoother for you.
    Not having trouble engaging the Cruise, just seems to deactivate the throttle. Is the throttle fly by wire or cable ??

Willie
    The Future is Not Today (Motorcycle Blog) http://nomadwillie.blogspot.com/ IBA 32847
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post
    Not having trouble engaging the Cruise, just seems to deactivate the throttle. Is the throttle fly by wire or cable ??

Willie
    Yes, the throttle is the fly-by-wire kind. However, that is irrelevant to the cruise.

What's probably happening here is that when you engage the cruise and let go of the throttle, it goes back to its position of rest.

To speed up faster than the cruise setting, you must first pick up the slack, meaning, you must twist the handle until you feel the bike picking up speed.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Spyder Garage

You must twist the throttle past the position that the CC is maintaining. Sometimes this is way past half throttle or so it seems before you can increase speed beyond the CC setting.

To increase speed beyond CC setting hold the CC switch up with your thumb until reaching desired speed. Hold it down until reaching lower speed than it is set at.

If CC disengages (normally a bump with the right foot on the brake pedal) simply momentarily push up on the switch to re-engage and resume previous set CC speed.

CC on the Spyder works well and I use it most of the time. The switch is the perplexing thing for most riders. This is a substandard setup in my opinion. Most of the CC's I prefer on MC's has the switch on the left handle bar with a much improved switch.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Read pages 19 & 20 of your Operator's Guide.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Default I DID !!

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    Read pages 19 & 20 of your Operator's Guide.
    Previously stated
    2015 RT-S. When I set the cruise control, it appears that the throttle has been activated. I can not increase the speed with the throttle. Is this normal. I briefly read the manual and it appears to contradict what I am saying.

I did read the manual, based on p19 one can increase throttle speed. I think other people who answered my have covered it. I will test tonight when I get home

Willie
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you are initially setting the cruise by pushing up you must have a problem.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Throttle doesnt work for me

When I set the Cruise Control (pressing down) on my 2014 RTL, as far as I can tell, the throttle is deactivated. Twisting the right handle does not speed up for me. I've had to dis-engage the Cruise to pass other vehicles and then re-engage the Cruise (pressing up) once I'm around it. I like the CC, but that part is a little annoying.
    Vossr
    Sage Monkey
    MSgt, USAF ret

Spyder Garage

Default Confirmation on what I am experiencing

Quote Originally Posted by Vossr View Post
    When I set the Cruise Control (pressing down) on my 2014 RTL, as far as I can tell, the throttle is deactivated. Twisting the right handle does not speed up for me. I've had to dis-engage the Cruise to pass other vehicles and then re-engage the Cruise (pressing up) once I'm around it. I like the CC, but that part is a little annoying.
    It will be interesting to see if we simply twist the throttle more open and then it speeds up. This is exactly what I am experiencing

Willie
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Vossr View Post
    Have you tried pushing up on the CC button? That will increase your speed and hold it at that speed.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Remember, with the CC you have two different types of systems working on the Spyder: fly by wire and mechanical spring deadman twist grip. As Jack said, once you set the CC, the fly by wire speed is set and the twist grip returns to the idle position, therefore you will have to turn the twist grip past the point where you set the CC and, at interstate speeds, that can be a healthy handful of twisting. To prove it, find a safe stretch, set the CC, relax grip on deadman. Then go WOT and see what happens. If you get no response from WOT then you do have a problem.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

As posted above, throttle can be used, but you have to turn it a bit to override the CC. To change it up a couple miles per hour or so, one click up per mph on the button will usually do it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ottawa-rider View Post
    Yes, the throttle is the fly-by-wire kind. However, that is irrelevant to the cruise.

What's probably happening here is that when you engage the cruise and let go of the throttle, it goes back to its position of rest.

To speed up faster than the cruise setting, you must first pick up the slack, meaning, you must twist the handle until you feel the bike picking up speed.
    This was a problem for me when I started riding with the Spyder's cruise control. I was use to my Gold Wing's cruise which maintains the throttle position even if you released your hand. Like said above , fly-by-wire vs cable operated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Fjrwillie View Post

I have been setting the cruise control but pushing the button up. Manual says you should set by pushing it down. Not sure how this would make a difference.

I have tested this multiple times and same result.

Do I have a problem ?

Willie
    I don't have a problem. Took the Spyder out, set cruise and then keep twisting throttle until it sped up. I agree you do have to twist quite a ways to get it to overcome the speed it is at. Also learned pushing down on the CC works better than me pushing it up, even thou both set the speed.

Thanks for the assist on this.

Willie
    2015 RT-S
    2015 RT-S , White