Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question new owner with riding issues

rode with my husband today for about 5 hrs on our new 2015 rt lt--worse bike ride i have ever had--i've gotta be doing something wrong since everyone else loves theirs?--i tried pressing down on outside foot (in curve) and leaning and then pressing down with outside food and pressing back into backrest--is that correct?--and this thing throws me all over with the least little bump--i was hanging onto those grips for dear life--it has adjustable suspension--do u have to reset it after each time u stop and restart the bike? we couldnt find the screen that says if its on or not after the first stop--whats the weight limit for these things?--we are a combined weight of around 600---

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lesa View Post
    rode with my husband today for about 5 hrs on our new 2015 rt lt--worse bike ride i have ever had--i've gotta be doing something wrong since everyone else loves theirs?--i tried pressing down on outside foot (in curve) and leaning and then pressing down with outside food and pressing back into backrest--is that correct?--and this thing throws me all over with the least little bump--i was hanging onto those grips for dear life--it has adjustable suspension--do u have to reset it after each time u stop and restart the bike? we couldnt find the screen that says if its on or not after the first stop--whats the weight limit for these things?--we are a combined weight of around 600---

I believe the max weight recommended (passenger and gear) is 494 #. That might be one of the issues. Tire pressure should be about 18# in fronts and 28# in the rear. Hanging on to the grips to tight results in over control. Response of the is so quick that you will think it has a mind of its own. Recommend pretending there are eggs between the hands and the grips--don't break the eggs. RE: suspension--the rocker switch with the shock pictures on it is for suspension. Push up or down and the adjustment screen will pop up. Recommend 2nd from top or highest as a start.

Hope you can get it figured out.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Sorry to hear your disappointment. I think with some more driving the driver will get used to the dynamics of the y power. This will help smooth out the ride alot. Also you can change out the anti sway bar, this helps alot.
    Good luck Kenn

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post

I believe the max weight recommended (passenger and gear) is 494 #. That might be one of the issues. Tire pressure should be about 18# in fronts and 28# in the rear. Hanging on to the grips to tight results in over control. Response of the is so quick that you will think it has a mind of its own. Recommend pretending there are eggs between the hands and the grips--don't break the eggs. RE: suspension--the rocker switch with the shock pictures on it is for suspension. Push up or down and the adjustment screen will pop up. Recommend 2nd from top or highest as a start.

Hope you can get it figured out.

Alas, we are too fat lol--i didnt make myself clear--i was in passenger seat--hell of a rough ride--do u ride with a passenger? do they complain of it being way rough?--we did put the suspension at the highest when we left home--will it stay on till we change it? or do u have to set it each time u start the bike?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default pillion ?

Am I right in thinking you are the pillion on your RT ?
    As well as tyre pressure as noted above, try a few different shock settings.
    Someone else will chime in I'm sure with rear shock adjustment advice.
    And Hopefully with a bit more pillion-ing advice.

All I know is that friends who pillion on an RT are most in danger of falling asleep, it's so comfortable, so some bike adjustments are a good place to start.

I'd start with the rear shock ...
    Maybe even a phone call to Elka to discuss aftermarket shocks?

PS this "crossed" with your response, I see you are the passenger.

I don't know about RT shock but do not think you adjust each time ... others will advise.

Spyder Garage

I am not sure from your post if you are the operator or the passenger. Either way I would read (or re ead) the section in your owner's manual about riding a Spyder. I have been riding for over 50 years and found some new things there peculiar to the Spyder. Next I would go and read the Post Do's and don't of riding a Spyder. It is at the start of General Discussion. Go for another ride,shorter this time just take it easy. It is a new experience,and there is a learning curve either as the operator or passenger. They are fun,I have not had as much fun since I left 2 wheels as I have since I got my Spyder.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From what I have heard being a passenger on a Spyder is very different from being the passenger on 2 wheels. You do need to lean with the driver, that may help you. As for the suspension, once you set the rear it will maintain the proper pressure if it is working correctly. You should hear a hiss every now and again as the compressor puts air into the bag.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

My wife has also said that the ride on the back of the Spyder seems rougher than on the back of the wing. I think the roughness is because of extra horizontal forces that you don't feel on a 2 wheeler. I think that as you get rid of those extra horizontal forces, the ride will smooth out. More relaxed grip by the driver, correct tire pressure and wheel alignment, and upgraded anti sway bar.

2015 Spyder RT-S
    2008 Honda Goldwing
    2004 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

First, relax. Take short rides until your husband learns the nuances of the Spyder.
    I drove 2 wheels for 50+ years and was not happy with my Spyder for 5 months, until I gained physical and mental control over the Spyder.
    Very important to learn how to control the Spyder in curves and turns. I use pushing down on the opposite foot of the curve to force me to shift my weight toward the curve. Whatever works for you will take time and peactice. I believe that the most important thing to master is being confident and comfortable. Once your husbans gains mental and physical control, you will enjoy the ride as much as he does.
    Please order the BajaRon's Anti-sway bar. It will tremendously help you gain control and comfort.
    Don't give up, keep riding. It will become easier and safer as your husband becomes more comfortable.
    By the way, my wife and I weigh close to 500 lbs. Doesn't make a difference if you are comfortable and knowledgeable. Good luck.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Lesa!
    First of all...
    There is a bit of a "learning curve", to riding and operating the Spyders. Perhaps you and your Hubby just need a bit more time in the Saddle...

...But take it slowly. Enjoy some roads that perhaps aren't quite as bumpy or twisty for a while. It'll give you some time to work out what you need to do.
    (Your technique for corners is spot on! )
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I know how you feel !!! I've been riding motorcycles for over 40 years, and ALWAYS the rider......never as a passenger.
    This year, I bought an RT-S. It's a different animal, for sure. My wife can drive it....but she's a noo-b up front, and I've sat behind her several times giving her "advice" as she was driving. But man, it's sure uncomfortable back there. You can't sit still and need to lean in the tighter corners. For me, there's no relaxing as a passenger.
    When we had our Goldwing and did many cross-country trips, she would fall asleep when on the passenger pillion. It was smooth as silk, and great in the corners.
    I guess the Spyder is something that needs getting used to.
    In the meantime, I'll let the wife drive the Spyder as much as she can (she really enjoys driving it), and I'll be looking for ways to afford buying another Goldwing or BMW R-1200 RT.

Spyder Garage

Default uncomfortable?

Hi:

I'll chime as a new-to-Spyders driver. I have about 600 total miles on the new RT-Limited and confess to still not being nearly as smooth as I hope one day to be. The steering is sensitive, and sometimes I get my favorite curvy roads "just right," and other times I am aware I've made a series of jerky mid-turn corrections which come through to a certain favorite lady who is usually behind me. The horizontal side forces are indeed unpleasant; not at all like bending a motorcycle into a sweet turn and feeling totally at one with the bike.

Smoothness will come. I'm sure of that. Deep breaths, relaxed at the bars, look way through the turn (and not at the road immediately in front of the machine), "think" turn the bars rather than consciously steering.....

Am I missing anything? Oh yeah; practice, practice, practice............

Pete

Spyder Garage

Default We UNDERSTAND!!

My first 50 miles on my RT coming from 2 wheels was terrifying!! Wife and I also exceed weight limit on our RT just a tad ;-) and found the first twisties ride very intimidating, even curves on a deep south highway had us snaking down the road LOL!..She was working herself to death back there..

Our suspension takes about 65 lbs 2 up to ride good and put the low beams where they belong, Can't help on the screen thing as ours just airs up from under the seat, and we check it with a air guage..Our shock leaked and had to be replaced under factory warranty, holds air great now..

The first thing it needed was a laser alignment, was WAY off in factory form...Dealer did it for free within the first 500 miles, HUGE improvement!!

Second thing was to increase the front tire pressure up to over 20lbs each,,, Dealer recommended 16 1/2 and it dived and rolled and swayed like crazy...20.5 is much better for us..

Third, I had to learn to "relax" and lightly grip the handlebars instead of white knuckling it, the slightest pull on that "very sensitive" steering just shifts your weight and makes it worse....More riding and experience with it will help the rider(and passenger), trust me on that..

Having said that, I am still going to do the BajaRon swaybar mod over the winter as I like to hit the twisties HARD and from what others here say it helps with roll in the curves as well as roll from wind buffeting, many members here swear by them and I am gonna do it and see.

I bet if you did all 4 of these things you would be in love with your Spyder then! Happy riding!
    Last edited by DC1; 09-08-2015 at 08:04 AM.

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My wife and I are larger folks also and I have installed spring stiffeners on both the front and the back. That has tightened up the suspension so that it isn't as "loose". If you want to find out more, send me a PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Relax, Relax, Relax

This is the secret to getting the hang of a spyder. Every road is different. I read a lot of these forum quotes
    and what these spyder lovers say is true. I put on quite a few hundred miles on my 2011 RT and then put on
    the Baja Ron sway bay, huge difference and confidence builder.
    So relax and enjoy the ride

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You got all the advice and I will say no more but
    2012 Spyder RT SE5 Brake pedal mod

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Welcome! Your husband needs to ride by himself to get the hang of riding the spyder before riding two up. It takes some time to get it right on the spyder. Sway bar, alignment, stiffer springs will all help. Take your time.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Alas, we are too fat lol--i didnt make myself clear--i was in passenger seat--hell of a rough ride--do u ride with a passenger? do they complain of it being way rough?--we did put the suspension at the highest when we left home--will it stay on till we change it? or do u have to set it each time u start the bike?
    The first year I introduced akspyderlady to the , she rode almost 10,000 miles as passenger. We both are of generous size so it was a bit difficult for me and my back. At the end of the season, I finally got her to try driving. I went back to driving my Vulcan. We drove our own until July of the next year when I traded off the Vulcan for a new 2011 in 2012. She has driven her very own since then. She now has 22,000 miles on the 2011. That's driving mostly on weekends and during our short (Apr - Sept for her) season.

RE: Suspension--once you set it, you can forget it until you want to change it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

thanks so much guys!--love this forum!---the plan is for me to ride the spyder, but i was hoping we could use it to go to rallys and such since hubby's harley isnt that manuverable in parking lots and on gravel, etc.--so i just need to hurry and learn to ride myself lol--at 55 yrs of age with no previous experience!

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

thanks so much guys!--love this forum!---the plan is for me to ride the spyder, but i was hoping we could use it to go to rallys and such since hubby's harley isnt that manuverable in parking lots and on gravel, etc.--so i just need to hurry and learn to ride myself lol--at 55 yrs of age with no previous experience!
    My wife has hers for 3 years.Take a training course and you'll be fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

As ak said, the total load capacity rating is 494# for both rider and passenger plus all cargo and accessories. In addition to the quick steering characteristics of the Spyder you need to have a laser alignment done. Misalignment of the front wheels is normal from the factory and the BRP alignment method doesn't give the best results. Handling is very sensitive to the front wheel alignment. Also, as has been suggested install the BajaRon sway bar and upgrade the front shocks and springs. With some modifications the 100+ pound extra load should be tolerable.

The ride and handling of a Spyder are a whole lot more like an ATV than a 2 wheel bike. You pretty much have to forget how the ride feels on a 2 wheeler and get used to a new norm.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Try and look at it this way:
    You're at the best possible time of your life, to start a new adventure, and today's a great day for that very first step...
    I don't know what your State's licensing requirements are, but a safety course (one specifically for Trikes), is never a bad idea.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm only at 2000 miles on my 2015 RT, but documented my early experiences here. I definitely have the turning dynamics down now. I read a lot of posts on the troubles of turning and was disappointed with the many responses of "just gotta practice," " you'll get the hang of it,""after a couple hundred miles, you'll be all right," etc. I was a professional ski instructor for many years, and we were trained to dissect the entire arc of a turn and what every part of the body was doing during the turn. So, my mind works like that.

I think there are excellent suggestions here and will add a few too.

1. just adding suspension enhancements won't completely overcome the dynamics of turning. I've since done this as suggested all over this site, and completely recommend you do it because the RT suspension feels very soft. I suggest that you learn on the soft suspension in well-controlled situations first.

2. Head/body position is critical to start the turn, any turn, and the degree of the turn will determine how much you have to move into it. BOTH the rider and passenger must lean into the turn and be in sync. Your body goes where your head goes. So, get your head off of the midline of the spyder slightly before the turn in anticipation. It would go towards the inside of the turn.

3. Your hand focus is a push-pull emphasis. The inside turn hand should pull towards your head and body core as they are coming off the midline. Your outside hand should be pushing through the turn.

4. Finishing the turn you can straighten up into the midline and relax your arms because the centrifugal force of the wheels will straighten them up. A little acceleration helps with this.

Personally, I think the Spyder turn experience is a blast, and I'm delighted that it is very dynamic. However, I could see that this is NOT what some would like because they just want to lean and not think about it.
    2015 RT Limited , black

Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Armrests might help the back seat passenger

My wife felt she was going to fall out until I got a set of back seat armrests. Also, you can buy a rear seat passenger backrest from Ultimate seat that offers the back seat passenger another inch or so of room.
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Spyder Garage

I have a 2010 RT. My initial 2-up riding experience was sort of negative much like yours has been. My missus has probably close to a half million miles in pillion and was terrified. The suspension on a 2010 is even worse than the 2015 and we have done the BajaRon Anti-Sway bar and installed Elka shocks and heavier springs. The 2015 doesn't have the same type shocks and I understand that the spring stiffeners that have already been mentioned are needed so the Spyder doesn't wallow like a pig. Mine did and no longer does. That helps. As far as the pillion, the immediate need was to jack up the rear air suspension which smoothed out the ride for my missus and set the height of the passenger boards so she had some leverage which allows her to stay planted better. The hand grips are not very useful for my wife (short person) so we added Diamond R armrests. we also removed the bottom fasteners from inside the trunk that hold the passenger backrest pad and added a soft spacer at the bottom of the pad so that the seat didn't feel as upright. Take your time and read about fixing suspension issues and fix the ergos up and it does transform the pillion (and driver part as well). Since we have been riding so log and came off a Goldwing trike, I won't argue with all the folks who are analytical about leaning and placement of feet and such as I don't pay much attention to these things. Slow down in sweeping curves till you are comfortable with the feel of the vehicle...
    wiredgeorge Mico TX
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM5