Spyder Garage

Default overdrive pulley

Does anyone make a overdrive pulley / sprocket for the 2013 and earlier spyders ? I can find several for other brands but so far nothing on the spyder bikes. It would be great to drop 500 o r so rpm's while cruising down the highway.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by james199 View Post
    Does anyone make a overdrive pulley / sprocket for the 2013 and earlier spyders ? I can find several for other brands but so far nothing on the spyder bikes. It would be great to drop 500 o r so rpm's while cruising down the highway.
    Yes there is German company that makes one I have it and it does just what you want the old gaurd on this site will jump all over me and you and argue that it's bad and unessesery that the motor needs to rev but I can tell you from having it that it pulls it just fine maybe an rt two up pulling a trailer can't pull the higher gearing but you can always shift as you do have 5 gears after all search 30t spyder front sprocket and you will find it but IT WILL NOT WORK ON AN SE as the nanny can't handle the change in motor to wheel speed so don't even try with an SE any more ? Pm me as I love my 30 tooth
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

I believe that cheapcycleparts.com offeres a 29 tooth. Its for the european models but should work fine. Thought about it when the hub bolt came loose and wallard out the splines on mine. But went with the stock 27 tooth. with the SE point though you could see if it is offered for the SE's...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

It has been done, I don't remember the manufacturer. You may be able to search the site and find out. I don't think that they are made any longer but I may be wrong on that.
    However the 998 v-twin in the Spyder is a high rev engine and not a low rev cruiser. The clutch system in the Spyder was designed for high rev operation and running too low rpm's can cause real damage to the clutch especially in the se5. IMHO Your Spyder will run better and have less problems at higher rpm's.

"Stupid is as Stupid does"
    Don't Drink and Drive or Ryde!
    Each Day is a Gift

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I forgot to say don't buy one of the aluminum ones that are still arround they wore to quick and the stock is 28t so 29 is not much change 30 is the most that the belt adjustment will allow and again the SE will not work because of nanny they are about $325 and 500 rpm is just about what you will get and the motor is still spinning plenty happy the only reason we don't have 6 speeds in the v twin is because they took it out to make room for the reverse cog
    2 happy happy spyders

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very little change and imho not worth the time, money or aggravation but here you go.... Good luck!
    http://www.batquad.de/shop/CAN-AM-SP...roduct-58.html

Spyder Garage

Thank you so much for the info and link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    Very little change and imho not worth the time, money or aggravation but here you go.... Good luck!
    http://www.batquad.de/shop/CAN-AM-SP...roduct-58.html
    That's the one ,as far as hassle the install it's an very easy 1 hour job no agravation required the money as far as worth it individual call but from someone who has 2 spyders and has actually ran one for over 25000 miles I can say that it makes for a more relaxed ride and will save a million turns of the motor over the years
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Batquad does make a 29 tooth also that will work on the SE5, Does not show on there website, I have one on mine and love it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How much of a difference does it make, and I guess that I have to assume that rolling the rear wheel forward in the adjusters gives you enough slack to make it happen??
    As YPilot said; the 998s are revvers... bringing the rpm levels down is kind of working against it's strengths.
    (IMHO)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    How much of a difference does it make, and I guess that I have to assume that rolling the rear wheel forward in the adjusters gives you enough slack to make it happen??
    As YPilot said; the 998s are revvers... bringing the rpm levels down is kind of working against it's strengths.
    (IMHO)
    Oh I didn't realize you have rode one with the changed gearing I wonder why BRP went with 6 gears in the 1330 and lowered the rpm at highway speeds As I said in my first post on this that everyone would chime in and argue against this even those who have never rode a v twin with the change but I have 2 identical machines and changed one at a time and rode them side by side and can tell you first hand that it's a great upgrade and it still loves to rev and pulls just fine a little more relaxed at 60 is great
    2 happy happy spyders

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by r1100rider View Post
    Oh I didn't realize you have rode one with the changed gearing I wonder why BRP went with 6 gears in the 1330 and lowered the rpm at highway speeds As I said in my first post on this that everyone would chime in and argue against this even those who have never rode a v twin with the change but I have 2 identical machines and changed one at a time and rode them side by side and can tell you first hand that it's a great upgrade and it still loves to rev and pulls just fine a little more relaxed at 60 is great
    I never understood all the calls for 6 gears, either on the 998, or the 1330.
    5 forward gears are more than adequate.
    In my opinion, BRP could have lowered the highway RPM by spreading out the gearing and making 5th gear a bit taller.
    As it is, I'm finding that I often skip gears.
    I can easily shift from 1 to 3 then 5 and 6.
    Saves the clutch.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong. I'm sure someone on this board will tell me so.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As to why they added a gear to the 1330; it needed it!
    It's a "torquer"; the 998s are "revvers"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Cool 30 tooth sprocket

Yes there is German company that makes one I have it and it does just what you want the old gaurd on this site will jump all over me and you and argue that it's bad and unessesery that the motor needs to rev but I can tell you from having it that it pulls it just fine maybe an rt two up pulling a trailer can't pull the higher gearing but you can always shift as you do have 5 gears after all search 30t spyder front sprocket and you will find it but IT WILL NOT WORK ON AN SE as the nanny can't handle the change in motor to wheel speed so don't even try with an SE any more ? Pm me as I love my 30 tooth
    I have just purchased the German 30th sprocket and very pleased with the result. However one little issue has come up since its installation and that is when I am travelling around highway speeds, the neutral and reverse dashboard lights flash on and off intermittently with the gear indicator displaying Eg at the same time. No fault codes are present, a theory of maybe that the computer is seeing a difference between the rpm/gear/ and speed. Has anybody experienced the same. Apparently there gearing options out now for the latest spyders depending on which market that they are sold in, so this would have to be allowed for by Can Am.....Sometimes they make things too complicated for the purpose at hand.
    2016 RT , Pearl White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Seems like you could try a taller tire and see how that works as an alternative.I'm using a 5.4% taller tire (215/60/15) with no ill effects. You could keep going up from there say a 215/65/15 which is 9% taller.
    Last edited by Highwayman2013; 12-17-2015 at 08:51 PM.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

full time RV'er on the road. Well we were. Now, 6 months in ThreeRivers Mi and 6 months in Apache
    Spyder Garage

Default And another reason for 6

Beside the difference in the engine types, the marketing boys and girls are seeing 6 gears in many motorcycles now-a-days and they don't want to be seen as "behind times". Can't believe that doesn't play a part.

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    Seems like you could try a taller tire and see how that works as an alternative.I'm using a 5.4% taller tire (215/60/15) with no ill effects. You could keep going up from there say a 215/65/15 which is 9% taller.
    Thanks for that, my final gear ratio has been altered by about 2%. Changing the rear tyre profile will certainly have the same affect, what is the drop in the final rpm with using the 5.4% higher profile tyre. With the sprocket, I am dropping 400rpm, equating at 100kh/hr - 4600rpm. It certainly feels more comfortable. I actually did not explore that possibility of higher profile tyre choices, certainly would be an easier way of doing it, not sure if we have the availability of choice here, might explore this option for the future. Cheers
    2016 RT , Pearl White

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ojonesy View Post
    Thanks for that, my final gear ratio has been altered by about 2%. Changing the rear tyre profile will certainly have the same affect, what is the drop in the final rpm with using the 5.4% higher profile tyre. With the sprocket, I am dropping 400rpm, equating at 100kh/hr - 4600rpm. It certainly feels more comfortable. I actually did not explore that possibility of higher profile tyre choices, certainly would be an easier way of doing it, not sure if we have the availability of choice here, might explore this option for the future. Cheers
    I figure from 5,000 rpm I'm dropping 270 rpm with a 215/60 /15 and my speedo is very close to the speed on the GPS unit if you could go with a 215/65/15 tire it would be a 450 rpm reduction where the speed resulted in 5,000 rpm. Of course your speedo would then be reading slower than you were going.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Default Taller tire

I like the idea of a taller tire. It's simple and if it doesn't work out, but you can put up with it until you wear it out, then go back to the normal tire so you won't be out any cash.
    2011 RTS (Sold to a very nice lady)
    1998 Honda Valkyrie
    2006 Mustang GT. Varooooom!
    US Navy Veteran
    SC Law Enforcement Boat Captain
    CNC Machine Service Technician
    President: Rolling Thunder SC1
    Member: Disabled American Veterans, Rock Hill, SC
    Member: American Legion
    Experience is recognizing the same mistake every time you make it!