Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default RT Air Bag pump out..

Our pump has pretty much give up the ghost. It will start to pump for 10 minutes and then go to manual. I have added air manually and it holds, so it pretty much has to be a bad pump. Going to try to get through the season if possible. What I need to know is what are the amount of pressures in the bag at the 5 settings? Does anyone know. That way I can still manually adjust it for 1 or 2 up. I have a plugin compressor that s stored with the bike so I can make changes whenever I need to.

Spyder Garage

Short answer is the settings are not pressure driven.
    The system reads the height. This method makes the rider and passenger weight immaterial.
    I would just find a pressure that gave a smooth ride while riiding two up.

Spyder Garage

Thanks....I figured it out! I need a new pump.

Spyder Garage

Doc,
    Sounds like a warranty issue to me.
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you need the settings they are in the Owners Manual but you might need a magnifying glass to read the chart as it is a photo and a bit blurry.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I am going to try to get through the season. I hate the fact that t takes so long to get stuff done. I figure come about November I will either ride it or trailer it down to Louisville (70 miles) and let them work on several issues. My seat is developing a bad spot in 2 places. The ignition switch has malfunctioned several times. And now the air bag pump. I had noticed it struggling a couple of months' ago and I stiffened the rear spring so that it wouldn't have to work so hard, but it appears enough damage was already done. If this one goes out I will go with a gas/spring in place of the airbag. Not sure if anyone has done that yet, but I am pretty sure I can figure it out....

Spyder Garage

Doc, BAG the original pump... it just wears out too fast.

Here is an alternative pump that is almost bolt right in! It's cheaper than the BRP over priced part too!

compressor.jpg

compressor2.jpg
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

On the subject of air bag compressors. Mine has now basically burnt out.
    Possible cause of this maybe the BRP (crappy plastic) one way valve has broken thus causing the compressor to run almost constantly causing it to fail. Have sourced a metal valve that is being installed with a new compressor.
    Replacing plastic with metal valve may be worth considering whenever the compressor needs changing out.
    Stay Safe

Regards
    Kenn

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Finless! Send me a link if you can!

I believe that the reason my pump wore out was being overworked. Every stop light we would stop at, the dump valve would kick in to try to adjust the height change due to stopping, then after a few seconds the pump would kick in a fill the bag back up. What they need to do is put a delay in the circuit so that the ride height has equalized from stopping before it activates the sensor.
    Once the initial setting is done, unless there is a leak or additional weight has been added (hooking up a trailer or adding some items in storage, or a second rider, etc.) the pump shouldn't even come on. If BRP would listen to a few of us about some improvements we could save the company bunches of money and stop some of the stuff from wearing out.

Anyway, that's my take on why they burn out so quickly...

Spyder Garage

Doc wrote "My seat is developing a bad spot in 2 places." You really want to NOT replace the factory seat. You absolutely NEED one of the 'real' seats. I personally recommend Ultimate Seat. It has made riding a pleasure for me over the factory seat. But there are also many positive votes for Russel Day Long seat (you have to ship your seat to them to use as a base and when you park for the Winter, a good time to do it) and the Corbin. All are really really worth the money. Which one is mostly a personal choice. Getting a good seat is not a frivilous expense. It is an absolute necessity. I've told it before but one 600 mile ride on the factory seat when I first got the bike sent me to the Doctors' office the next day, unable to walk on my right leg. Cortisone fixed it up in a day, but I ordered the Ultimate Seat that day, got it in a couple of days, installed it in a half hour and I've never had a moment's discomfort since. Spend the money. Unless your Scottish in which case.... Alaska Leather sells sheepskin seat pads that are good... Air Hawk is good except on the Spyder it makes you feel as if you're slipping off the seat in turns.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ricford View Post
    Doc wrote "My seat is developing a bad spot in 2 places." You really want to NOT replace the factory seat. You absolutely NEED one of the 'real' seats. I personally recommend Ultimate Seat. It has made riding a pleasure for me over the factory seat. But there are also many positive votes for Russel Day Long seat (you have to ship your seat to them to use as a base and when you park for the Winter, a good time to do it) and the Corbin. All are really really worth the money. Which one is mostly a personal choice. Getting a good seat is not a frivilous expense. It is an absolute necessity. I've told it before but one 600 mile ride on the factory seat when I first got the bike sent me to the Doctors' office the next day, unable to walk on my right leg. Cortisone fixed it up in a day, but I ordered the Ultimate Seat that day, got it in a couple of days, installed it in a half hour and I've never had a moment's discomfort since. Spend the money. Unless your Scottish in which case.... Alaska Leather sells sheepskin seat pads that are good... Air Hawk is good except on the Spyder it makes you feel as if you're slipping off the seat in turns.
    I would like to get a custom seat, but every one I have checked out has been too slick. The wife is afraid she might fall off. Do they make one out of sharks skin??

Spyder Garage

I am on my third compressor since June. I bought a used rt2012. The first one was compressor bearings the second was the compressor electronics. It's still under warranty so no big deal . I usually set mine at high for 2 up or at mid for just me. I think they could have made the system a lot easier such as with manual just preadjust to your desired presure

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    I would like to get a custom seat, but every one I have checked out has been too slick. The wife is afraid she might fall off. Do they make one out of sharks skin??
    Doc,

Russell did offer a vinyl covering that is non-slippery. I had that on one of my Harley's and you did not slide with that. You could call them and see if they still offer it! I went with the leather inserts as I like to be able to move around.

I tried the BRP comfort seat and that was better then the stock, but removed too much room from the passenger side. Went to the Ultimate seat, nice seat, but did not fit me and they do not custom make their seats to fit. Went back to Russell (where I should have started) and now I can ride all day without discomfort.

Of the three main choices only Russell is made to fit each rider and has the best guarantee (check out their web site for details).

No I am not a paid spokesman - just a very happy customer.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Thanks, Finless! Send me a link if you can!

I believe that the reason my pump wore out was being overworked. Every stop light we would stop at, the dump valve would kick in to try to adjust the height change due to stopping, then after a few seconds the pump would kick in a fill the bag back up. What they need to do is put a delay in the circuit so that the ride height has equalized from stopping before it activates the sensor.
    Once the initial setting is done, unless there is a leak or additional weight has been added (hooking up a trailer or adding some items in storage, or a second rider, etc.) the pump shouldn't even come on. If BRP would listen to a few of us about some improvements we could save the company bunches of money and stop some of the stuff from wearing out.

Anyway, that's my take on why they burn out so quickly...
    Doc, here you go.

http://performanceparts.com/part/Viair/00097

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steviep View Post
    I am on my third compressor since June. I bought a used rt2012. The first one was compressor bearings the second was the compressor electronics. It's still under warranty so no big deal . I usually set mine at high for 2 up or at mid for just me. I think they could have made the system a lot easier such as with manual just preadjust to your desired presure
    This can actually be done. There is a setting in BUDS to change the system to manual. When I got a new LCD screen the tech forgot to set the ACS (air ride) to automatic and my air ride was on manual.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Bob do you remember what changes do need to be made to put in the aftermarket pump? That looks like something I may be doing soon as well.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    Bob do you remember what changes do need to be made to put in the aftermarket pump? That looks like something I may be doing soon as well.
    You have to cut the connector off and solder on the BRP connector.
    You need longer screws to mount this pump.
    That's pretty much it.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black

Spyder Garage

Shark!!! Ha Ha

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by steviep View Post
    Do you have a Bajaron swaybar?
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Our pump has pretty much give up the ghost. It will start to pump for 10 minutes and then go to manual. I have added air manually and it holds, so it pretty much has to be a bad pump. Going to try to get through the season if possible. What I need to know is what are the amount of pressures in the bag at the 5 settings? Does anyone know. That way I can still manually adjust it for 1 or 2 up. I have a plugin compressor that s stored with the bike so I can make changes whenever I need to.
    I will find out tonight if adding manually air will hold on my bike. I was told not to put more than 80 psi of air.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited, black, Special Edition, SE6, belt tensioner, Bajaron swaybar, AKARAPOVIC, F4 windshield with vent. Previous 2015 RTS in black and 2011 RT Limited, SE5 with Bajaron Swaybar and Bumpskid