Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Why

Saw it on CSI Miami and liked the looks. Had some extra cash from turning in a few mutual funds. And, still had a motorcycle license that I hadn't used in years.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TONI View Post
    I'm wondering what motivated Spyder owners to buy their Spyder? As for myself, after riding a BMW for 7 years I decided to sell it when I had back surgery in July. After recuperating from the surgery, I wanted to get back on 2 wheels so I bought a new Triumph Bonneville since it was much lighter than the BMW and all the other bikes I had been looking at. After dropping it 4 times in 3 weeks and incurring a 2nd degree burn on my leg which required a skin graft, I regretably figured I was not able to hold up a 2-wheeler any more. After looking at the price of trikes, I bought the Spyder. I am jealous every time I see a 2-wheeler on the road though.

So what made you decide on a Spyder? Medical/health reasons, fear of dropping a 2-wheeler, etc? or other reasons? Don't mean to pry - just curious .

Saw loved bought
    It's a cool toy

Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly !

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I first saw Tony Dorsett hawk the Spyder before a Superbowl a couple of years ago and thought it was a cool concept. At the time I owned a '95 BMW R100RT full dresser and a Jeep. I wasn't in the market for anything else. Hurricane Ike changed that. Both the bike and Jeep went under 10' of salt water. I haven't replaced them yet as getting insurance money been a hassle and I have to wait a few weeks more for my job to be available again. I just figure I can replace both with a spyder that has bags and a trailer hitch for my kayaks. The jeep was what I hauled the kayaks with and the bike was what I rode from Galveston Island to the mainland. On the Island I can walk and bicycle to everything. I can downsize and still enjoy riding top down when I come off the island. So I have been looking at buying an SE-5 fully loaded and have been doing my research here and on Spydertalk.com as to the best modifications for my purposes.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

had mine for all of a week now and have proven the reasons I got it were spot on....great fun, good to be different and great fun sitting in a cafe looking out the window and watching person after person after person walk up and check it out with that "what is that" look on their face.

orangespydiegirl

I've always wanted a bike and knew I couldn't hold one up. when my husband wanted the spyder I was all for it, then when I drove it for the first time I was hooked and now I have my own. Loving every minute of it.
    Last edited by orangespydiegirl; 01-18-2009 at 01:49 PM.

Spyder Garage

girl friend was hit on bike by a drunk driver in 91 clinically dead at the scene (lucky for a male nurse fishing on the side of river beached his boat when he heard accident and brought her back)... broken neck crushed pelvis ....right leg turned completely around 4 months in hospital was told she would never walk again lucky she did walk again and said she would never get back on bike again ...i've owned a couple harleys in my life but never got that big a kick out of them to warrant keeping them ... then i saw spyder in a magazine article i showed it to girl friend she thought she would feel safe on it so i ordered it ....about a year later it came in now she rides it feels very safe we have owned it for about 11 months and driven it every month couldnt do that in new england on 2 wheels... we are getting another one in the spring.....
    THOSE WHO LIVE BY THE SWORD DIE BY THE SWORD... BUT...THOSE WHO MASTER THE SWORD SURVIVE BY THE SWORD....
    Rev. J. Proctor
    reverendproctor.com

HAPPY SPYDER OWNER

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff in Dallas View Post
    I had been following the development of the Spyder for a few years. I liked the concept and the looks. I have been riding for years, never went down and, quite honestly, loved my Harley Ultra. It was like riding on a Lazy Boy. It is a fantastic machine.

I finally rode a Spyder during a demo day in Dallas last year, shortly afer they started selling Spyders in Texas. I was underwhelmed and walked away thinking I had cured my Spyder itch. I went back one more time and the dealer let me take it out for the afternoon. After an hour, I was hooked and ordered one thinking it would be a compliment to my Harley.

Two months after the Spyder arrived, I sold the Harley. The Spyder is 95% of the fun of a 2-wheeler and so much more safe. It's great not having to constantly scan the rode for every little thing that could cause you to lose traction. Or, survey every stop or for debris or oil.... and make sure you're not parking downhill! I enjoy the ride so much more now and am much less concerned when I take the kids for a ride.

I do miss the Harley, but I am sold on the reverse trike concept. I am hoping other companies introduce models to give BRP some competition at a reasonable price point.

I guess in summary, I love to ride and the Spyder makes the ride more enjoyable.
    In my case, the ride I left behind was a Kawasaki Concours, but otherwise my experience was very similar to Jeff's. It took a couple of test rides before I was truly Spyder bitten, but when it happened, there was no cure for the fever but to sell my Connie and buy a Spyder. It's a different kind of ride than what I have been accustomed to for many years, but it is an absolute blast!

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Invalid Emails
    Pensacola Florida & Baja Alabama (Robertsdale)
    Spyder Garage

Default My Kidney Doctor will not let>>>>

So what made you decide on a Spyder? Medical/health reasons, fear of dropping a 2-wheeler, etc? or other reasons? Don't mean to pry - just curious .[/quote]

>>>>those under his care ride to dialysis, UNTIL I showed up with Iktome Luta. The SE allowes me to ride directly after treatment with out stressing my access and causing it to start bleeding. I still have control of the gears and can shift up or down as needed.

Five months and I am over my need for two wheels! Only problem is avoiding the skunks, armadillos, and possiums along the strech of US-90 up from the river, harder with three wheels than two.

I could still ride the Pacific Coast but did not trust my leg to hold up us both on two wheels. Anyway, tha Aussie that makes Motorcycle Cruise Controls bought it for his recent tour of his us dealers and had a ball!

The Spyder handles so much better than any trike I have ridden in the past 49 years. Only thing close was something called a Tri-Sport back in the seventies but it was so low to the ground that it scared me in traffic. Could not get certified in many states so it did not go anywhere. Even the best $36,000 Wing Trikes, with all their luxuries, do not ride nearly as well.

Spyder Garage

Reason #1 - Lamont is wearing off on me. I don't normally do things like this. Mater-of-fact, I'm sure Lamont didn't believe me when I said I was going to buy one 2 days after he placed his order. June 9 2007 I think it was. Never seen one in person and didn't get mine till January 31, 2008.

Reason # 2 - Liked the looks and concept. I was never interested in a conventional trike of any kind. But I thougth the Spyder would be different and I was not dissappointed.

Reason #3 - I thought I could at least break even on it if I didn't like it. Never got the chance to confirm that one.

Took me awhile to get used to it. My brain knew it was not a motorcycle but my body wasn't listening. I hated it at first. It acually unnearved me a little. But it didn't take long and it was true love.

Now it's always a struggle, the Suzuki M109R or the Spyder. Usually the Spyder wins out.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default Love at first site

I've never ridden a motorcycle. Rode ATVs in the Air Force (as a part of my duty...no big thrill). All of the kids are grown. All of my biker friends keep telling me to get a bike. I accompany them to the different showrooms while theirs are being serviced. Gave some thought to it, but still not excited enough to put down $6,000 on a bike. I'm 6'6" and would look kinda crazy on the smaller bikes.

Saw the one day parked at a flea market. whats that? Knew I had to have one, but how could I ever raise the $40,000.00 this thing must cost. I'm a teacher for Gods sake. I went home, got on the web, went to Pensacola Motor Sports. Realized that it was financially obtainable, and started scrapping and saving and . I go see Jimmy at PMS and just sit on it for a fix every now and then and every time feels like the first time.

I don't smoke $$$ I don't drink $$$ I don't party $$$ I don't do crack $$$ I work three jobs So surely I can afford this.

I now realize that I'm not getting the because someone convinced me to, I'm getting it for the same reason I married Vivian. No one could convince me not to.. Love @ First Sitewelcome
    St'09

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I have to thank Lamont for planting the seed. I've been running around on the M109r site and saw a post for Lamont riding with the fellows from ATL on his Spyder. Test drove one while on vacation in Charleston, SC...... and the rest is history. The 109 pretty much just sets in the garage. From a ride standpoint, nothing compares to the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I liked the looks of the Spyder when it first hit the net. I went for a demo ride in 1/08 at a motorcycle show, but wasn't sure so waited until another demo ride in August. It was longer and I finally got the hang of turning with it, as I had ridden two -wheelers for 40 years now. Traded my Kawasaki Mean Streak in for it in Sept. My wife hated two wheelers and almost divorced me when I got the mean streak four years ago. Now she goes on rides with me and is into it. I have enjoyed riding the Spyder much more than any bike I have had.
    Cal Sci XL Windscreen; Widow Highway Pegs; Mirror Extenders; 1" handlebar riser; Hindle exhaust; Corbin Seat, Givi top case, Street Magic HID headlights, 12v power thingy in trunk, NMN Triple Play, Tom Tom Rider 2 GPS, Corbin rear fender, so far
    and A Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

Because I am spoiled and my husband loves me so much..
    With Christ all things are possible, so live life with no fears and no worries.
    Happy Ex Owner, Hopefully future Spyder owner again.
    Pastor Deb Tangen, Missions Director and short term missionary.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    The short version of my story. I liked the looks of it, the price was right and my wife said she would drive it.
    Two outa three ain't bad bro.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bjt View Post
    Two outa three ain't bad bro.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 4leafpat View Post
    I liked the looks of the Spyder when it first hit the net. I went for a demo ride in 1/08 at a motorcycle show, but wasn't sure so waited until another demo ride in August. It was longer and I finally got the hang of turning with it, as I had ridden two -wheelers for 40 years now. Traded my Kawasaki Mean Streak in for it in Sept. My wife hated two wheelers and almost divorced me when I got the mean streak four years ago. Now she goes on rides with me and is into it. I have enjoyed riding the Spyder much more than any bike I have had.
    Interesting. My wife Gail loved riding as a passenger on my two-wheelers, but so far has not warmed up to the Spyder. She finds it much less relaxing, as the G-forces throw her around in the curves, and she says she finds the seating position much less comfortable than on my Kawasaki Concours, or my BMW R100RS before that. She finds the passenger seat too wide, forcing her to move her legs too far apart, which she finds very tiring on a long ride, causing muscle cramping she never felt on any of my conventional motorcycles before this.
    Next time we are at a Spyder get-together, I may have Gail try sitting on a Corbin or Day-Long saddle to see if this is better for her. I find the stock saddle just fine, but she does not.

Bruce
    Bruce Brown
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Spyder Ambassador (Ret.)
    2009 Moto Guzzi Stelvio "Silvia Dionisio"
    Help us fight prostate cancer: http://motorcycleridefordad.org/

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'WOW, what a ride!'"

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

After years of riding sportbikes, I wanted a safer, more comfortable bike that was passenger friendly. Plus, this thing mesmerized me. I love to obsess on new toys and this really did it for me. I rented one about six months before I bought one and was a bit disappointed with the performance compared to my other bikes but, I couldn't stop thinking about it. I kept dreaming of long twistie road adventures. My dreams came true and I get juuuust enough performance to keep me smilingLike many others, my other bikes get little attention now.
    Last edited by barkingspyder; 01-18-2009 at 11:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    VERY HAPPY OWNER OF Spyder PE #1133 w/ Leo Vince, High Flow Filter , Red caliper trim(whoopty doo), BRP sport rack/backrest, BRP saddle bags, BRP comfort seat, Honda RC51, Buell XB9R, Garmin 660, Tackyon XC action cam, Nolan N103 W/ N-Com kit(never use it...)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Riding on the spdyer is so much fun. Been riding 2 wheels since I was 16 but I've never enjoyed anything else as much as the spyder. More relaxing, enjoyable and safe.

Spyder Garage

Default Wife chose the ryde

Went looking for a 2 wheeler and as I was looking around the showroom at the the VTX the salesman took my better half over to the and gave her the info. When I told her I found the bike I wanted she told me she had found the ryde I was getting - the rest is history. I guess i should thank the salesman and my wife for the greatest ryde of my life.
    Bill
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Gulf Coast Spyder Ryders -- look for us in the Ryder Group/Club shortcut on the homepage.

New Ryders always welcome!!!

Registered Users throneroomdancer's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I took the Harley Rider's Edge Course to see if I really wanted a bike. Just made the obsession worse. While looking for my first bike my neice told me about the Spyder she saw in Gulf Shores AL. Got on the web and found out they were demo riding at a local SRS Motorsports. Went, rode it...couldn't stop grinning, remembered I dropped the Buell twice during the Rider's Edge Course and that I am 53 years old...uh um, young. So now I just sit and dream and wait for that money tree to come up in my backyard. Hey, ya'll make me feel like I'm riding everyday!
    Zooooom!!

Spyder Garage

My sport tourer was getting long in the tooth and my wife's hip was going bad. Once we found that she could get on and off the Spyder and ride with no pain, it was a done deal. The hip has been replaced now and I think we will be riding 2 wheels again but we are both sold on the Spyder as our traveling rig.
    Happy owner of Silver PE #1232
    All The Gear All The Time - ATGATT
    Gulf Coast SpyderRyders

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I had been itching for a Harley for years and was about to make the purchase for my 30th birthday when a friend of mine sent me an email saying he got a job at BRP. He said: "Look what I have to work with" and that's when I thought this is it. The fiancee was not thrilled about me getting a motorcycle, but she was absolutely fine with the spyder.

Searched online like crazy, joined this wonderful forum, went to two separate dealership, test drove the spyder three times and bought one.

Just waiting for nice weather to finally put some serious miles on that thing.

Spyder Garage

Default my reason

all the reason that are posted in this thread. its a wonderful bike!welcome

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Am new to riding, fiance has been a rider for 30+ years. Rode on the back of his bike and it was fun. Wanted to ride more but knew I would not do a 2 wheel. Saw the spyder and Eureka! I could do that and did! I love the spyder! Feel like a new woman.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default My reason

After 40 years on 2 wheels a young punk missed a turn on his brand new 1198 and crashed into me on my Commando coming the opposite way. After 4 surgeries I am left with a limping leg and no radial nerve in my right arm. I am not able to ride heavy bikes anymore (or any of my vintage drum bikes) and my wife pushed me to buy a RT to be able to ride together and go on vacations like we've been doing for ages. She love being a passenger on long ride but ride her own bikes on vintage day rides. I am missing dirt riding and will be buying soon an Ural to go back on fire roads and trails...
    Philippe