Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Just curious-why did you buy a Spyder?

I'm wondering what motivated Spyder owners to buy their Spyder? As for myself, after riding a BMW for 7 years I decided to sell it when I had back surgery in July. After recuperating from the surgery, I wanted to get back on 2 wheels so I bought a new Triumph Bonneville since it was much lighter than the BMW and all the other bikes I had been looking at. After dropping it 4 times in 3 weeks and incurring a 2nd degree burn on my leg which required a skin graft, I regretably figured I was not able to hold up a 2-wheeler any more. After looking at the price of trikes, I bought the Spyder. I am jealous every time I see a 2-wheeler on the road though.

So what made you decide on a Spyder? Medical/health reasons, fear of dropping a 2-wheeler, etc? or other reasons? Don't mean to pry - just curious .

Spyder Garage

My wfie wouldnt let me ride on TWO wheels

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ridden motorcycles for the better part of 40 years both off and on road. Never been down, but close calls. As I got older and bikes got heavier and I wasn't getting any stronger, I wanted to continue to enjoy the open road, but on something more stable, more visible and hopefully safer. Did not want to go conventional trike and felt the Spyder was the compromise. Turns out it was not a compromise at all, but a thriilling new way to take on the open road. No more worries about loose gravel, flat tires, paddling through left turns. I also had a huge respect for BRP/Rotax watching how the designed and built technology leading snowmobiles, personal watercraft, jet boats and ATVs. I have owned their products and they have performed very well and lasted a long time. They don't follow they lead and the Spyder is another example of defining new markets. Those are my reasons, but the only one they really matter to is me.

Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

Early in my years I rode a 2 wheeler... and then did not ride for several years... After retirement, I often wished that I had a bike to ride, however, my physical condition would not allow me to handle the wheeler ny longer. I then thought a trike would be an answer, but, I rode one and for some reason I did not feel confortable.. I then had an opportunity to ride a spyder in the dealer parking lot, and KABOOM...... I now own a spyder, and I still have the bike feel, but the spyder just doesn't ride like a two wheeler, and man I love the spyder, just hope I can continue ryding many many years to come.. Heck, I am only 76 going on 90..LOL

Spyder Garage

My wife could never get the feel for two wheels by herself. She rode her Trail 90 around, but wanted nothing more, and anything touring size was way too much for her. Scooters didn't do it, even the Burgmann. When she saw the Spyder, she knew it was the answer. Bought before either of us even rode one. Haven't regreted it in the least.

I swipe it every chance I get. I have been riding two wheels for 50 years, and have 22 of the two wheeled variety right now. I still love every minute on the Spyder, and may even get myself one someday. My BMW is great, but it is heavy. My vintage bikes aren't reliable enough for any distance. The overwhelming feeling of security on the Spyder, especially under adverse conditions, is incredible, and its comfort is hard to beat. The trick is not to think of it the same as your bikes. It is an entity unto itself. Shift your weight in the corners, and ride it like you stole it! You won't regret it in the least.
    -Scotty

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ride it like you would a Quad on the dirt. I still have two wheelers but I must admit they have set since I bought the Spyder. I'm just turning 5K on the Spyder and I've had it since September.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i have not ridden motorcycle for 21 years and when i was bitten HARD to get on bike again my first thought was to get on a honda cbr again but trip to local honda dealer made me realize i was too old for that now
    i was thinking about getting a goldwing trike when i saw spyder and i knew i found my new ryde.

Spyder Garage

for the same reason you did, had a plate put in my upper back 3 years ago and suffer everyday, have a buell that i dont ride, had 2 v-rods,and a triumph truxton, and a ultra classic all at the same time , cant lift them off the stand, so i sold them all within the last 8 months and now ride a spyder, and love every minute of it , can't drop it welcome
    SPYDRRR

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Like others I had multiple surgerys over the past year (getting old is really a pain) and can no longer hold up my Ultra and had to part with it, I have kept the Buell (XI Millenium 799 0f 800) and it is the same color as my Full Moon Spyder so they look good together in the garage, Enjoy every moment I can get out and ride so the came jut at the right time and it so much fun to boot.. I have always been on a bike, my father used to have a 650 Panther with a huge sidecar for the family and dog so I have been in the open air all my life and don't intend to sit in a cage just now....

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I was looking into modifying a two wheeler (V-star 1300) with a Klicktronic. Modifications on my leg to allow me to hold up a two wheeler would require some programming for the knee. Possible but a huge learning curve. I saw the Spyder, then the SE5. It was like it was made for me. Back in the saddle again! Whoooaaa Whhoaaa!!

Spyder Garage

Have been riding since I was 6 years old, the previous being a BMW K1200LT (light truck) with the lot. Went to a friends who had just purchased a Spyder thanks to a left hand throttle conversion (lost his right arm in a work accident about 8 years ago) he offered me a ride, a little frightening when you instictively pull in the nice little 2 finger clutch lever whilst approaching the corner.........AAARRRRGGGHHHH, in this case the THROTTLE.
    As they say, the rest is history... was at the dealers the next day and had her a week later. I was just that impressed.
    2010 RT-S, PE#0011 (Babyanlee's "Evil Twin" in Australia), Garmin Zumo 660

Extremely Happy 2nd Spyder Owner

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have no use of my left arm and an above the knee amputation of my left leg but the urge to ride rather than drive resulted in me getting an SE5 Spyder. YES! I ride again!!!! When people ask how much it cost, I reply: "AN ARM AND A LEG." And no I aint disabled... I'm a mutant. No-one parks in the mutants parking bay.

Chris

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I'd been riding quads for many years and loved the dirt and being the one in control of my machines unlike alot of the boring cars I've driven. But there was just not enough speed for me when quadding on roads so I contemplated getting a ZX10R. That is until the wife found out what I planned to do! She was right though, I'd likely kill myself on two wheels, I just can't help myself pushing the limits. So to save myself and continue loving my two wonderful little boys the next best thing in terms of speed, comfort and safety was the Spyder.
    Last edited by jetskier; 01-18-2009 at 04:56 AM. Reason: spelling, doh!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

haven't gotten one yet...but yeah, 40+ years on 2 wheelers, back surgery, and a near blown knee have me pulling limitted miles on 2 wheels, riding hacks more and more, but want something a little "sportier" for the highway.

Spyder....seems to fill the Rx....

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

It was love at first sight!

Spyder Garage

I bought it because of the safety, looks and the fun factor. I felt confident that both me and my wife could do some traveling on our Spyders and we have.

Spyder Garage

I rode an 1100 Honda Shadow (I wanted to keep up with the GoldWings that we ride with) but my balance got worse and I ended up on the back of my husband's GoldWing again. I saw the spyder and immediately said, "I could ride that!" And I love it! My balance issues are gone - I get to ryde again!!
    Let's Ryde!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by brutus450 View Post
    My wfie wouldnt let me ride on TWO wheels
    same here,but sure is a nice compromise.
    Last edited by wingnut; 01-18-2009 at 09:26 AM.

Spyder Garage

The short version of my story. I liked the looks of it, the price was right and my wife said she would drive it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Being 5'3" limits your two wheel options, if you want to flat foot it. After dropping my Burgman 400 3 times on gravel, luckily without getting hurt, (I got really good at jumping off and not going down with it) and spending at least a $1000 on replacement body panels. I decided that I wanted something that I could go anywhere on and not worry about dropping it. Also I love the reverse, don't have to try and duck walk/back out of a parking space or other situations.

Love my Spyder!

Registered Users Jeff in Dallas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had been following the development of the Spyder for a few years. I liked the concept and the looks. I have been riding for years, never went down and, quite honestly, loved my Harley Ultra. It was like riding on a Lazy Boy. It is a fantastic machine.

I finally rode a Spyder during a demo day in Dallas last year, shortly afer they started selling Spyders in Texas. I was underwhelmed and walked away thinking I had cured my Spyder itch. I went back one more time and the dealer let me take it out for the afternoon. After an hour, I was hooked and ordered one thinking it would be a compliment to my Harley.

Two months after the Spyder arrived, I sold the Harley. The Spyder is 95% of the fun of a 2-wheeler and so much more safe. It's great not having to constantly scan the rode for every little thing that could cause you to lose traction. Or, survey every stop or for debris or oil.... and make sure you're not parking downhill! I enjoy the ride so much more now and am much less concerned when I take the kids for a ride.

I do miss the Harley, but I am sold on the reverse trike concept. I am hoping other companies introduce models to give BRP some competition at a reasonable price point.

I guess in summary, I love to ride and the Spyder makes the ride more enjoyable.
    Last edited by Jeff in Dallas; 01-18-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator docdoru's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Derailment from a VW GX3 (project never build).... good bye VW, welcome
    2013 "Silver Dream" GG Taurus
    2008 "Silver Dream" Spyder RS
    Einstein's theory of drag racing: Time and Speed are Relative.
    Shut up and Race!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Because its unique

I saw the spyder on the highway in AZ on a trip and I was hooked. There's nothing out there like it.

Spyder Garage

Wink

As for me, I always liked the Spyder's look but just can't justify the expense especially when I already have 4 cars (incl. 1 convertable), 3 jet skiies, and 2 motorcycles. Friends tell me that if I want the open raod feeling for one, just ride the Ninja and if I want passenger, then take the convertable.

But I couldn't resisit when I ran into a barely used SM5 w/ Hindle for under $11K. I seen plenty of deals far away and when added the shipping, it wasn't a good deal anymore. But this one came up right before Thanksgiving and was close enough for me to go fetch it. So now I no longer have to worry about balancing the bike when I do a U-turn or coming to a stop at a hill (with wife on the back). Guess one of the two bike is going on the selling block in the spring.

Spyder Garage

Blew out my back long ago, arthritis did the rest, been riding over 50 years, ain't gonna stop cause I can't pick it up.

john