Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WIDOWSSON View Post
    LOOK AT THE VERY FIRST PIC IN THIS THREAD. YOU CAN SEE THE PIPE IS BIG ENOUGH FOR THE BAFFLE TO KEEP GOING THRU.
    It will not go very far. Would get stuck at the welds and bends. I am thinking at the inlet to the muffler there is a sharp bend, it would be captured there. I may be wrong, need to actually look at the baffle and the connection. When I do, may very well say nevermind and just pull the springs and drill the hole.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    I have the same question. Why drill and bolt at all if it can fit between the bypass pipe and muffler, it cant go anywhere and is a much easier install as I don't need to pull those darn springs off and back on. Unless anyone comes up with a good reason why not, I plan to see if it will fit and work this way.

As for the direction of install, yes it will have the same back pressure either way but may indeed sound different. My background in fluid dynamics says that pointed upstream would be a tad bit quieter exhaust note than pointed down stream due to the flow across the cone inward toward itself vs. outward toward tubing wall.
    In regards to the cone direction, any idea on how the resonent wave would reflect with the cone forward. Most designs seem to bounce the wave off a cone as opposed to V shape.

PK

Spyder Garage

The suggested direction, per Jim @ BCT, is for the cone to point toward the muffler.

Spyder Garage

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by WIDOWSSON View Post
    YES. GREAT GUYS OVER THERE. ARE YOU FROM THE AREA?
    Yes,
    Just North of you in Tuckerton. My Spyder was purchased at ACC as well, Eddie and his crew have treated me right so far.
    2015 RTL , Red

Spyder Garage

Just an update for those that already have a bypass installed and would rather not deal with the springs again...

The Big City Thunder baffle can be installed easily in the bypass pipe at the muffler connection buy just removing the muffler clamp and the muffler pulls off the hanger. Insert and mark the bypass pipe with the cone pointing out toward the muffler.

Reinstall the muffler and clamp after bolting in the baffle. Works great with a nice lower exhaust note. Going for a long ride today and hope to notice the midrange difference.

Just an option that also works well.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

That's a great easy to do time saving option rather than having to pull the springs off, thanks.

Spyder Garage

After the hole is drilled in the cat eliminator pipe... does there need to be something between the bolt head and the pipe when the bolt is tightened? Is this going to cause a small exhaust leak, or will it be fine by just tightening the bolt down?
    2015 Spyder F3-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by z_light11 View Post
    After the hole is drilled in the cat eliminator pipe... does there need to be something between the bolt head and the pipe when the bolt is tightened? Is this going to cause a small exhaust leak, or will it be fine by just tightening the bolt down?
    Drill the hole just big enough for the bolt to go through and you will be fine. I did this this afternoon and installed the pipe on my RTL. I could not see or smell any leaks. One thing I did do after getting the springs connected was tap the pipe at the the connection with my rubber hammer. You don't need to beat it to death, just give it a few good taps to make sure everything is set.

Spyder Garage

Any one know when lamonster will have the baffle in stock? I've emailed him but no response. I think spyderfest is going on? I tried to go to the Big city thunder website but when I do it looks like the QQ series is in a pair and I am really not sure once one to get. I only need one. just got a lamonster cat delete on the f3. I had the 2 brothers once but did not like the sound. I already like this one better but want to put the baffle in to see what the change will be
    Retired U.S navy Seabee! "CAN DO"
    2015 Spyder F3-s

Spyder Garage

Hello. Just purchased the 2016 f3 limited SS all black with a three year best warranty. I was toying with the idea of Lamont's cat bypass and baffle. My question is Will this void my warranty. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Shouldn't. Its slip on. But I could be wrong.

Retired U.S navy Seabee! "CAN DO"
    2015 Spyder F3-s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by TroyboyRn View Post
    Hello. Just purchased the 2016 f3 limited SS all black with a three year best warranty. I was toying with the idea of Lamont's cat bypass and baffle. My question is Will this void my warranty. Thanks

Yes, this will void the warranty. The Lamonster system eliminates the cat... which voids the warranty. The only thing that won't void the warranty is a straight slip on muffler.
    2015 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

Yes, this will void the warranty. The Lamonster system eliminates the cat... which voids the warranty. The only thing that won't void the warranty is a straight slip on muffler.

Horse Puckey. There has not been one instance of BRP refusing warranty claims based on the use of an aftermarket exhaust with or without cat. There is no language in the warranty terms that state this either. Sure, the BRP warranty on the exhaust is gone the moment you removed the BRP exhaust. But the rest of the bike warranty remains intact.

Please do not spread false information.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Horse Puckey. There has not been one instance of BRP refusing warranty claims based on the use of an aftermarket exhaust with or without cat. There is no language in the warranty terms that state this either. Sure, the BRP warranty on the exhaust is gone the moment you removed the BRP exhaust. But the rest of the bike warranty remains intact.

Please do not spread false information.
    It is not false information. Just because it has not happened, doesn't mean it won't. There is language in the operators guide specifically saying that if you change the exhaust from the factory OEM and anything happens in relation to that change, nothing will be covered under warranty.

The following is a direct quote from the operators guide, page 137...

- Damage resulting from removal of parts, improper repairs, improper service or improper maintenance, modifications, alterations that are outside of the original specifications of the Roadster, or damage resulting from repairs done by a person that is not an authorized servicing Dealer.
    - Damage resulting from the installation of parts with specifications that differ from the original Roadster parts, such as, without limitation, different tires, exhaust system, wheels or brakes.

This entire section refers to things that will not be covered under the warranty if they are done to the Spyder. Removing the factory cat with a bypass system will certainly differ in specifications from the original parts. I also spoke with my dealer directly about this, and they confirmed that technically, it will void the warranty.

I'm not saying BRP will automatically deny all claims because you changed the exhaust and bypassed the factory cat. However, there most definitely is language in the guide for them to be able to deny any warranty claim if they feel the exhaust being changed was the cause of the damage.

It is a choice each Spyder owner will need to make for themselves if their machine is still in the warranty period.
    2015 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

It is not false information. Just because it has not happened, doesn't mean it won't. There is language in the operators guide specifically saying that if you change the exhaust from the factory OEM and anything happens in relation to that change, nothing will be covered under warranty.

The following is a direct quote from the operators guide, page 137...

- Damage resulting from removal of parts, improper repairs, improper service or improper maintenance, modifications, alterations that are outside of the original specifications of the Roadster, or damage resulting from repairs done by a person that is not an authorized servicing Dealer.
    - Damage resulting from the installation of parts with specifications that differ from the original Roadster parts, such as, without limitation, different tires, exhaust system, wheels or brakes.

This entire section refers to things that will not be covered under the warranty if they are done to the Spyder. Removing the factory cat with a bypass system will certainly differ in specifications from the original parts. I also spoke with my dealer directly about this, and they confirmed that technically, it will void the warranty.

I'm not saying BRP will automatically deny all claims because you changed the exhaust and bypassed the factory cat. However, there most definitely is language in the guide for them to be able to deny any warranty claim if they feel the exhaust being changed was the cause of the damage.

It is a choice each Spyder owner will need to make for themselves if their machine is still in the warranty period.
    Can Am / BRP will act in whatever means they see fit. In reading this as you posted it, the accessory exhaust from Akrapovic could also void a warranty or even installing chrome vs painted wheels. Each person needs their own comfort level. Also, if I am not mistaken, warranty can not be denied unless there is proof that the modified parts uncured the damage. So I suppose if the bypass or exhaust is too free flowing and burns the exhaust valves to nothing, then that may effect warranty.

Similar, if a person adds LED lighting and it overloads the charging systems, the failed charging systems would not be covered. This can be taken to the most detailed level to prevent warranty payment, then again, Spyders are not known for catastrophic engine failures and have a very good mechanical track record for reliability. It's the small BS things BRP designed in that bite them in the rear. DESS, poor underbody cooling, Kenda tires, and more. Not failed engines.

We run a bypass with a stock muffler on the Spyder. I also removed the 4 cats from my Tacoma. The risks are worth it vs the gains.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Can Am / BRP will act in whatever means they see fit. In reading this as you posted it, the accessory exhaust from Akrapovic could also void a warranty or even installing chrome vs painted wheels. Each person needs their own comfort level. Also, if I am not mistaken, warranty can not be denied unless there is proof that the modified parts uncured the damage. So I suppose if the bypass or exhaust is too free flowing and burns the exhaust valves to nothing, then that may effect warranty.

Similar, if a person adds LED lighting and it overloads the charging systems, the failed charging systems would not be covered. This can be taken to the most detailed level to prevent warranty payment, then again, Spyders are not known for catastrophic engine failures and have a very good mechanical track record for reliability. It's the small BS things BRP designed in that bite them in the rear. DESS, poor underbody cooling, Kenda tires, and more. Not failed engines.

We run a bypass with a stock muffler on the Spyder. I also removed the 4 cats from my Tacoma. The risks are worth it vs the gains.
    I agree with you, mostly.

The Akrapovic exhaust is authorized by BRP to be used on their machines, so it is considered OEM (there is also an option straight from factory that has the Akrapovic muffler already installed... I believe it is the muscle attitude package). Plus, you can only get the Akrapovic through BRP. If you go straight to Akrapovic's website and look up the exhaust for an F3 Spyder, their own website simply has a link sending you to the BRP accessory website.

Anything that can be purchased through BRP's accessory website will not void your warranty. Those items have been tested, and approved by BRP as viable options that will not impede or change the factory specifications.
    Last edited by z_light11; 05-03-2016 at 08:07 AM.
    2015 Spyder F3-S

Spyder Garage

I agree with you, mostly.

The Akrapovic exhaust is authorized by BRP to be used on their machines, so it is considered OEM (there is also an option straight from factory that has the Akrapovic muffler already installed... I believe it is the muscle attitude package). Plus, you can only get the Akrapovic through BRP. If you go straight to Akrapovic's website and look up the exhaust for an F3 Spyder, their own website simply has a link sending you to the BRP accessory website.

Anything that can be purchased through BRP's accessory website will not void your warranty. Those items have been tested, and approved by BRP as viable options that will not impede or change the factory specifications.
    That may be, but is it published by Can Am. And then, what happens if the install falls under not installed by an authorized dealer.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    That may be, but is it published by Can Am. And then, what happens if the install falls under not installed by an authorized dealer.
    It is published by BRP that it will maintain the warranty.
    http://store.spyder.brp.com/product/..._Shot_Silencer

If fact, BRP claims Akrapovic is the only one that will maintain the warranty.

For the authorized dealer part, I'm guessing they want you to purchase it from, and have it installed by the dealer. This isn't cost effective or practical for most people. Like was mentioned before, they most likely will honor most things, but everyone should be aware there is very specific language in place that will let BRP deny warranty claims if they think whatever was done to the Spyder, wasn't an authorized modification.
    2015 Spyder F3-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

...Well I sure hope you are getting your fully ( and only ) AUTHORIZED and WARRANTIED - AIR from your authorized BRP Spyder dealer.......because if you haven't and have put some from somewhere else ---- well your WARRANTY is now VOIDED ....................Don't drink all the Kool-Aid served by BRP.....Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...Well I sure hope you are getting your fully ( and only ) AUTHORIZED and WARRANTIED - AIR from your authorized BRP Spyder dealer.......because if you haven't and have put some from somewhere else ---- well your WARRANTY is now VOIDED ....................Don't drink all the Kool-Aid served by BRP.....Mike
    Not saying I agree with any of it. I also have the Lamonster cat delete for my F3-S. It is a choice I made, but I am fully aware BRP has the possibility of denying warranty claims I may have based on me installing the cat delete.
    2015 Spyder F3-S

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default WARRANTIES

Not saying I agree with any of it. I also have the Lamonster cat delete for my F3-S. It is a choice I made, but I am fully aware BRP has the possibility of denying warranty claims I may have based on me installing the cat delete.
    ...Glad to hear this ......I was getting concerned because you seemed to be fixated on Warranty Denial thing, read the Moss-Magnussen Act and you will feel even less worried ........Mike

Spyder Garage

Ok just for fun I'll throw this out there. Everything added to my F3 except the hand brake system was installed by an authorized dealer. This includes sway bar, shocks, brake pads, by pass, and big city thunder baffle.

Just got got my Spyder back for the D.E.S.S. issue and there was never any question regarding warranty coverage. Maybe the BRP police don't know where Idaho is yet.

Spyder Garage

Default Big City Thunder Baffle

Hello. Was just wondering if anyone has checked the decibel level of the stock verses cat replacement and cat replacement with the baffles. I've seen videos but they are hard to tell the difference in loadness. Thanks

Spyder Garage

I don't have db readings but can say the following. Full stock pipe is very quiet. Cat replacement pipe with stock muffler is fairly loud and could be considered too loud for some. Cat replacement pipe with big city thunder baffle with stock muffler takes the edge off and is a bit more quiet over all.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Put the cat bypass with baffle on my '14 RTL. You can tell the difference, but it is not obnoxious at all. Just adds a little deeper sound.