Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost Key/s

Spyder Garage

Default Went yesterday to get another Key

We purchased a 2008 and it only had 1 key. Called a Can Am dealer and bought a blank. Cost was about $58. Took the bike to the dealership and picked up the key, drove to a key shop and had one cut. (The dealership knew a good key shop - very helpful!) Checked to be sure the new key would open the frunk and turn in the switch, used the original key to drive back to the dealership and had them program the new key. Cost to reprogram was $33. Cutting the key took 5 minutes and programming was about 15. Works like a charm. We also purchased a really nifty key surround so we could put a ring thru the keys. Found it on Ebay, it' milled aluminum (bought 2) for $20 each plus shipping. Well worth it.

Tom Blanchard & Carol Holt
    2008 Yellow & Black
    Silver City NM

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks you all for the info. I must say I am a little lost lol. I'm Sorry, being new to all of this is quite overwhelming but I will work it out

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spy_der_man View Post
    Thanks you all for the info. I must say I am a little lost lol. I'm Sorry, being new to all of this is quite overwhelming but I will work it out
    Right after you get a new key, you will find your old key. I feel your pain. I carry a key in each pocket. I wish you well in finding your key. I also have a place I keeps my keys. It is very close to my Spyder.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks you all for the info. I must say I am a little lost lol. I'm Sorry, being new to all of this is quite overwhelming but I will work it out.
    Update..... Can-Am website and cheapcycleparts.com do not have the DESS and ignition kit.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a pretty good start...
    Please let us know when you get yourself "Back on Three"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Thanks you all for the info. I must say I am a little lost lol. I'm Sorry, being new to all of this is quite overwhelming but I will work it out.
    Update..... Can-Am website and cheapcycleparts.com do not have the DESS and ignition kit.
    Well that sucks. Call a BRP Spyder dealer and ask what the replacement parts are. I am sure BRP would not leave a 2012 without replacement parts.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

We unfortunately just did this yesterday. You will need the DESS module and a new ignition (the new ignition comes with two keys).

Once everything is hooked up, you just put the keys in and they will program themselves to the new DESS module. It was kind of a pain to gain access to DESS assembly and plug, and there are two screws holding the ignition in which are also difficult to get to.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SierraCycles View Post
    We unfortunately just did this yesterday. You will need the DESS module and a new ignition (the new ignition comes with two keys).

Once everything is hooked up, you just put the keys in and they will program themselves to the new DESS module. It was kind of a pain to gain access to DESS assembly and plug, and there are two screws holding the ignition in which are also difficult to get to.
    I found one for $200. That seems pretty cheap. Now I gotta come up with the money..... :-(

Spyder Garage

Confucius say, "man who loses key to girlfriends apartment get no new-key" Does this apply here?

One thing to remember, the 2014 and later keys are different. 2013 and prior keys have a different chip. When buying a replacement key keep this in mind. Most dealers are unaware of this.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Confucius say, "man who loses key to girlfriends apartment get no new-key" Does this apply here?

One thing to remember, the 2014 and later keys are different. 2013 and prior keys have a different chip. When buying a replacement key keep this in mind. Most dealers are unaware of this.

Jack
    Yep. I specifically searched for 2012 ignition and keys. I double triple checked to be sure....

Spyder Garage

Default Ordered keys from below:

I ordered and received 5 blanks and will be taking them to the local reputable locksmith with my original key...they will cut them to fit and program them

I google searched the forum for key info...there's a lot of good info I found...I have a 2010 Spyder, so it might not be applicable to newer models...

Order Details:

Code Item Qty Price Grand Total
    JMA3161 TP05ZA-9.P CLONEABLE APRILIA / MALAGUTI / MBK JMA TRANSPONDER KEY BLANK
    (Z23RT5 CLONEABLE)
    5 $9.58 $47.90
    DSC-22 RW Volume Discount [JMA3161] 1 -$3.35 -$3.35
    Subtotal: $44.55
    Tax: $0.00
    Shipping Cost: $7.00
    Grand Total: $51.55

Thank
    you for shopping at www.keyblankdepot.com!
    Visit us again at http://www.keyblankdepot.com/
    let's ride safe & be careful out there,
    Mike in Nawlins'
    2014 Black SE6 Limited "Charlotte"
    New Orleans Ride Captain
    Patriot Guard Riders

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PatriotRider View Post
    I ordered and received 5 blanks and will be taking them to the local reputable locksmith with my original key...they will cut them to fit and program them

I google searched the forum for key info...there's a lot of good info I found...I have a 2010 Spyder, so it might not be applicable to newer models...

Order Details:

Code Item Qty Price Grand Total
    JMA3161 TP05ZA-9.P CLONEABLE APRILIA / MALAGUTI / MBK JMA TRANSPONDER KEY BLANK
    (Z23RT5 CLONEABLE)
    5 $9.58 $47.90
    DSC-22 RW Volume Discount [JMA3161] 1 -$3.35 -$3.35
    Subtotal: $44.55
    Tax: $0.00
    Shipping Cost: $7.00
    Grand Total: $51.55

Thank
    you for shopping at www.keyblankdepot.com!
    Visit us again at http://www.keyblankdepot.com/
    Thanks Patriot but I am a beyond just needing a key. I need a new ignition kit since I don't have a key/s at all.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SierraCycles View Post

Do you sell them? Can you get the kit? How much?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I made one stop at a business. Business hasn't opened yet. Bike only came with the one key.
    If u bought secondhand, is there a chance previous owner has the second key still?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=loisk;1045569]If u bought secondhand, is there a chance previous owner has the second key still?

bike was repossessed and sold to me from a dealership

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

original owner - in Oz dealers have to give us name of previous owner, this may or may not apply where you are, in this case ...

ALSO BRP BUDS should show previous owner's name and address etc --- could your dealer look this up and you can watch while he/she phones them re the spare key???

I've bought 2 used spyders, one privately and one ex-dealer, and got 2 keys each time: now I know how lucky I have been!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    ALSO BRP BUDS should show previous owner's name and address etc..
    It doesn't show that level of detail.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default buds

I've bought 2 used spyders and in each case dealer has "looked up buds" to change ownership details from previous to my details. So if it's not on buds, then it's on a dealer computer /brp software (linked to vin?) somewhere... Mind you, everything seems to be done differently downunder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    I've bought 2 used spyders and in each case dealer has "looked up buds" to change ownership details from previous to my details.
    I deal with Yamaha and Suzuki systems as well. The brand has the address because they use it for contacting with recalls, etc. But I have never seen that information, other than name, where just anyone on the system could see it.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member Buckeye Bleau's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Lost Keyes

I recently acquired a 2013 RT-L and only received one key from the dealer. I found out that they were chipped so based on prior experience with my cars, I decided to be smart and get another.
    The dealer charged me $44 for the key, a key shop cut it for free, now I am supposed to take the key and bike to the dealership so they can reprogram the new key, estimate $20 according to them.

Question for you experts, what the heck is a master key, that I am assuming from the conversation, one could use to program the new keys. If you know that then how can I get one of them?

Thanks.
    U.S. Army Viet Nam Era Vet
    2013 Spyder RT-L, Black Currant
    Trunk mount dual SS flag holder
    TricLed foam hand grips (awesome)
    Chromed Soaring Eagle License Holder
    Utopia Deluxe driver backrest
    LED fender lighting
    Fast Flash LED brake light
    Spyder Pops LED/skid plate

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Bleau View Post
    Question for you experts, what the heck is a master key, that I am assuming from the conversation, one could use to program the new keys. If you know that then how can I get one of them?
    The master key is used to put the system into a mode that allows you to add keys to the internal list of keys that the system will recognize. Gearhead has them for just under 22 dollars. http://www.gearhead.com/can-am-52903...P//529036106/1.

Since you have a 2013 there are several threads from a year or so ago about cloning keys. I have been using the keys that I cloned for just about two years now with no issues.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

OK everyone,
    First off I would like to say thank you for all the replies, information and support you have all shown me. I am blessed to have you all as acquaintances on this forum.
    With that said, I will give you all an update......
    As you all know I lost the only key that I had to my spyder a while back. I ordered the parts on the 2nd of this month with no problems. I paid almost $400 for the DESS Module and ignition with two keys. Yeah I said almost $400!! Hey it's my fault I lost the key lol. Anyways, the next day I get a call from my girlfriend, she informs me that my bike has been vandalized . I think to myself, "This DAMN bike is a NIGHTMARE!!!" She tells me all three tires are flat and the seat has been cut. She also said that there might be more damage but she's not sure. She sent me some pictures confirming what she stated was true and not some cruel joke. I can't tell from the picture of the rear tire to see if it's been cut or punctured or just flat from sitting for a while. I will say that I cant imagine all three tires going flat from just sitting for a couple of months so I have to believe they were cut or punctured. I am hoping at the least that the valve stems were cut off. I have yet to see the actual damage in person.

On the brighter side of things, next Friday I finally get to take my spyder in to get the DESS Module and ignition put in as well as three new tires mounted. That will cost me another $425 plus another $175 for the tires. Well I guess that really isn't on the brighter side of things lol. But I will hopefully be up and running again!!!

Also, as most of you know all the troubles I have had with this bike since I purchased it back in July. One thing has been brought to my attention, On September 9th I went to the local Department of Motor Vehicles to renew my driver license. While I was there I had the clerk run the VIN on the spyder to see who it was registered too. (Keep in mind I still don't have a registered bike till this day) The clerk reported back to me that it is in my name but he had a puzzled look on his face. I asked him what was wrong and he replied that someone in the next city to ours has registered the bike as we speak or did so earlier today. I thought to myself "WTF!!" (excuse me). He couldn't explain what transpired any further. He did say that a couple of codes were present on his computer screen but he didn't know what they meant so he called over a supervisor for further assistance. The supervisor said he wasn't 100% positive what the codes meant but he said he thinks they have to do with money and a signature. Needless to say I walked out a little confused.
    About a week later I get a letter from the Department of Motor Vehicles. I open the letter up and sure enough I find a letter stating that I need to pay $359 in registration fees and that I need to fill out and sign between lines 3A to 9A. I noticed another piece of paper was attached so I flip the first page over and I can't believe what I see!!!!

I have the Title to a bike that is financed!!!!

That is one big ERROR on someone's part!!

I am not supposed to have this title at all!!!

I will keep you all posted with the results of the repairs and what will happen with the title.