Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 Spyder RT Warranty Issue

My friend has a 2012 Spyder RT that has just 30k miles on it. It has the semi-automatic transmission. According to the shop where he bought it, the clutch hub and drum exploded on it. The shop is claiming that CanAm is not going to warranty this repair. He also has an ultra extended warranty through MasterTech. I really need an expert opinion on this, and I knew this would be the perfect place to look! The shop is claiming he is going to be responsible for cost of all repair which is around $2,500.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Many of the warranties don't cover the clutch. Better read the fine print.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mattsim View Post
    My friend has a 2012 Spyder RT that has just 30k miles on it. It has the semi-automatic transmission. According to the shop where he bought it, the clutch hub and drum exploded on it. The shop is claiming that CanAm is not going to warranty this repair. He also has an ultra extended warranty through MasterTech. I really need an expert opinion on this, and I knew this would be the perfect place to look! The shop is claiming he is going to be responsible for cost of all repair which is around $2,500.
    The standard BRP warranty on the 2012 was two years.
    Assuming it was purchased in 2012 then the vehicle is out of standard warranty.

The ultra extended warranty is between the warranty holder and issuer with the terms of the agreement.

As far as BRP is concerned your friend has crossed the finish line.

Spyder Garage

Your friend should get in contact with BRP Care and get a case started. Sometimes the dealers are not truthful when they talk about their interactions with BRP--if they had any at all. Just Sayin. Trust but verify. Much more details are needed in order to make good decisions here.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

My brother has the same bike and same issue. Dealer called BRP, they covered it.He only paid $50 .His had 31,000 miles on it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I agree with those that say your friend is out of luck. If they had the BEST extended warranty they may be able to get BRP to cover the repair but since they are no longer covered under the 2 year warranty their issue is between them and the extended warranty company.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Tough one..!!

generally the plates are not covered as a normal wear item. This is standard with all vehicles but depending on what caused the hub and basket to blow up will determine if they will cover it or not. Checking with brp after your warranty company is a good idea. They may not cover it but could help with parts etc...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks so much for the help! We are starting the day be calling BRP Care, and then calling MasterTech.