Spyder Garage

Default Aftermarket Seat

I am thinking about changing seats next spring. I currently have the stock seat on my 2013 ST Limited. It's comfy for a couple of hours, but on longer rides my back starts aching.

Does anyone have experience with seats that have backrests for both the passenger and the driver? I see that Ultimate has a a package with both backrests; does anybody have that and can make a recommendation for or against? Are there other choices that I should consider?

Thanks!

Spyder Garage

Default Saddle

Check out Russell day long saddles. Comfortable all day long, or they fix it so it is! Fantastic saddle, worth the price! Corbin makes a fine saddle, as does Bill Mayer. Everyone is different, so pick what fits you!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default Aftermarket Seat

I have an Spyder ST with a stock Seat and I installed a smoothspyder back rest and I find that my back doesn't hurt even after a 300 mile ride. My left leg is another story.

you might try the smoothspyder back rest. It is an easy install. Go to his web site and take a look. His site is on the SL home page. My Spyder is the black ST on his web site.

Dennis
    2013 ST , Black

Spyder Garage

Daylong seats - measured and built to your exact specs (aka dimensions)! I also have a smoothspyder backrest - I can tell you the seat is the biggest difference!!
    SmoothSpyder Backrest | Removed 'CanAm' graphics | ThermoTech II Wrapped Exhaust | 2014 Vented Side Panels | BajaRon Sway Bar | BajaRon Heim Links | Bump Skid (via SpyderQuest & SpyderPops) | Rivco drink bracket, reversed, with X-Grip for phone holder | BRP Ultra Touring Windshield | Givi Hard Saddlebags | Russell Day-Long Seat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just be aware. The Corbin and ultimate seats move the rider closer to the bars. Something that didn't play nice personally with my feet.

Spyder Garage

I have the Ultimate Seat setup you described. It is very much more comfortable than the stock seat. Their "tall boy" model actually moves you back from the bars an inch or two, and the matching passenger backrest restores the passenger space lost to the rider. I can give Ultimate a high recommendation, but the perception of comfort is a very individual thing, and these seats are expensive. If you can, attend a big rally and sit on the Ultimate, Cobin, and Russell to make the best choice for you specifically.
    2014 RTS , Spyderpops oversized brake pedal Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coastrider View Post
    I have the Ultimate Seat setup you described. It is very much more comfortable than the stock seat. Their "tall boy" model actually moves you back from the bars an inch or two, and the matching passenger backrest restores the passenger space lost to the rider. I can give Ultimate a high recommendation, but the perception of comfort is a very individual thing, and these seats are expensive. If you can, attend a big rally and sit on the Ultimate, Cobin, and Russell to make the best choice for you specifically.
    This is an ST thread. Totally different seat.....

Spyder Garage

The BRP comfort seat is a good option. It will move you back a couple inches. Is much more supportive than the OEM mush seat. Cost is between $600 and $650. Now getting close in price to some of the other aftermarket seats mentioned. I have them on both mine.

I have also had experience with Corbin (55,000 miles). They are hard compared to many--but we who like them, call that support.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    This is an ST thread. Totally different seat.....

I have the Ultimate Midrider seat on my ST. The Midrider did not move me front at all. If anything I would say slightly back and definitely more upright. Very comfortable I can ride all day. I also have the Ultimate driver backrest and I use the BRP passenger backrest. They do have the Tall boy option also for the ST and it is supposed to slide you back about 2 inches.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 900Dave View Post
    I have the Ultimate Midrider seat on my ST. The Midrider did not move me front at all. If anything I would say slightly back and definitely more upright. Very comfortable I can ride all day. I also have the Ultimate driver backrest and I use the BRP passenger backrest. They do have the Tall boy option also for the ST and it is supposed to slide you back about 2 inches.
    The midrider sits you closer to the bars vs. Stock. I measured it about 2 years ago, along with about 4 other seats...[emoji57] [emoji106] unless Des has changed it since then. Hopefully he did. When did you get yours?. [emoji54]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DrewNJ; 09-05-2015 at 05:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    The midrider sits you closer to the bars vs. Stock. I measured it about 2 years ago, along with about 4 other seats...[emoji57] [emoji106] unless Des has changed it since then. Hopefully he did. When did you get yours?. [emoji54]

I stand corrected. They do not offer a "tall boy" for the ST. The "midrider" is what I purchased and it did not move me closer but I am definitely more upright. They also have a "reduced reach" seat that moves you 2 inches closer. So they have probably made some changes since your experience. I purchased mine early spring 2015.
    2016 Spyder F3 Limited Steel Black Metallic
    Lamonster approved LED Headlights
    Lamonsters LED Fog lights
    BRP Driver & Passenger backrest
    BRP Trailer Hitch
    Shamrock Black & Polished
    Signature light
    Elka front shock's
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Dual Power outlets
    Garmin 590 GPS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just checked out ultimates site. Haven't been on there since we ordered a seat a few years ago. They do have a tall boy for the RS. What's odd is that the RS and ST use the same seat....
    Wonder what's up with that!

Good to hear that the redesign doesn't move you forward because the seat a good friend bought he wasn't happy with it at all because it did move him forward. That's what got us started measuring all the different seats that we could get our hands on.

Spyder Garage

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your suggestions. I rode a few hours today (Labor Day) and had a great time. I have been trying to adjust my posture as I go to reduce back strain. I still think that we will replace the stock seat in the Spring. Before then, I will do some research on your suggestions.

All the Best!
    John

Spyder Garage

I just installed a new ultimate midrider seat on my 2014 ST Limited and it is great! I did around 7 hours of riding Sunday and what a difference it made!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default backrest

I have an ST - to start with, I put my old RS BRP comfort seat on but it didn't suit me - funny how it was great on the RS but no good for me on the ST. I found the stock ST seat very comfortable but I needed to sit closer to the bars so got an Ultimate reduced reach seat which is perfect for me - my pic is not yet updated.

My suggestion for another option - you could try adding the Utopia drivers backrest to your existing seat. I was amazed at how much difference a drivers backrest makes. It's a cheaper option than a new seat, and may or may not give you the comfort you need.

And Yes RS seats fit straight onto an ST, and I believe vice versa.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JCWeatherman View Post
    Hey Everyone,

Thanks for your suggestions. I rode a few hours today (Labor Day) and had a great time. I have been trying to adjust my posture as I go to reduce back strain. I still think that we will replace the stock seat in the Spring. Before then, I will do some research on your suggestions.

All the Best!
    John
    Hi John,
    This is just one of those times, where it pays to listen to a real ass.

Your own; of course!
    If you can get to where there's a gathering of Spyders; it might just afford you the opportunity to test a couple of the popular aftermarket seats out...
    Happy Hunting!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Utopia Backrest

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    I have an ST - to start with, I put my old RS BRP comfort seat on but it didn't suit me - funny how it was great on the RS but no good for me on the ST. I found the stock ST seat very comfortable but I needed to sit closer to the bars so got an Ultimate reduced reach seat which is perfect for me - my pic is not yet updated.

My suggestion for another option - you could try adding the Utopia drivers backrest to your existing seat. I was amazed at how much difference a drivers backrest makes. It's a cheaper option than a new seat, and may or may not give you the comfort you need.

And Yes RS seats fit straight onto an ST, and I believe vice versa.

I hadn't heard about the Utopia backrest. Can you put one on a ST Limited seat?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a Corbin on mine and yes, it has moved me closer to the handlebars. I'm 5'6" and its perfect for long distance riding. My husband is 5'10" and finds when he rides my bike he's too close to the handlebars. I also have the smuggler trunk which provides the back rest and additional storage.

Sent from my iPad