Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Touring w/o a Trailer

Since the Alaska trip, I've cut down my packing list . . A LOT. I'm thinking of doing my next trip without my trailer and carrying on my back seat all the stuff I'd take into a hotel. The RT frunk, trunk and sidebags would contain riding gear and stuff I may need while on the road.

So my question for you all is if you travel without a trailer, and use a bag on the backseat, what kind of bag do you use? I know my airline carry-on bag will fit. I'm also looking at a First Gear dry bag, since it's waterproof. It's also cheaper than buying motorcycle luggage.

Any thoughts?
    Last edited by PrairieSpyder; 09-02-2015 at 12:12 PM.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

PATTI would it be worth to you to ship your stuff to your final location, and only carry what you need
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

So many to pick from. I have two depending on the trip and if solo..I got them from Kuryakyn and they are semi rigid and come with rain covers...I some times use a rack on the RS. The smaller one you can see in the signature picture and here is the larger one...

both are easy carry and have shoulder straps...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Back in the day

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Since the Alaska trip, I've cut down my packing list . . A LOT. I'm thinking of doing my next trip without my trailer and carrying on my back seat all the stuff I'd take into a hotel. The RT frunk, trunk and sidebars would contain riding gear and stuff I may need while on the road.

So my question for you all is if you travel without a trailer, and use a bag on the backseat, what kind of bag do you use? I know my airline carry-on bag will fit. I'm also looking at a First Gear dry bag, since it's waterproof. It's also cheaper than buying motorcycle luggage.

Any thoughts?
    . 70k miles without trailer. I used a sea to shore dry bag.
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i have doc's spyder rack, worked great for me on my first trip

Spyder Garage

Check out a Biker's Friend, it's a round, end load, bag that goes on the seat behind you...with a built in backrest. Only problem with it, you've gotta take it off to refuel unless you've got a gas door.

john

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Since the Alaska trip, I've cut down my packing list . . A LOT. I'm thinking of doing my next trip without my trailer and carrying on my back seat all the stuff I'd take into a hotel. The RT frunk, trunk and sidebags would contain riding gear and stuff I may need while on the road.

Any thoughts?

You're going to laugh, and this is a little off subject, but my husband plays golf and he straps his clubs (with cover over the top) to the back seat of
    our RT. He uses bungie cords. So I guess you can use just about any kind of bag as long as you tie it down tight.

Spyder Garage

Patti,
    Check the Nelson-Riggs line of products, they're very good, sturdy and waterproof. I've had one of their tail bags for about 10 years and it has stood up well. You may also want to consider a trunk luggage rack for lightweight items.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Spyder Garage

I have done a lot of travel and never pulled a trailer for extra gear. An extra bag (Nelson-Rigg) or similar put across the rear seat and bungeed to rear passenger hand grips may be sufficient for you.

RT has pretty good space, which I find very sufficient. I have one complete set of luggage (from my 2010 RT) and it has always worked for me. We bought stuff bags that fit in the compartments for the 2011--much cheaper than the BRP flagship stuff.

A list like you have is a great idea. When I used to do canoe country camping (every ounce counts), It took me a few early trips and I had that list whittled down to the bare bones. My rule was, If I don't use it on two trips, I don't need it. First aid kit did not count in that statement.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default EL CHEAPO

A tall waste paper basket, that you put a waterproof on top of and bungie it............Also you may want to look at the " EL CHEAPO " GAS DOOR that I put on my RT ( $ 30 ? ) so you can add gas without un-loading !!!!!....Mike ....I have some PICS posted ....look in my STARTED THREADS --- Page #3 GAS DOOR in GS/RS/ RT etc
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 09-02-2015 at 01:20 PM.

Spyder Garage

2pair of my underwear fill the back seat
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

any bag will do. I have a stuff bag that I got at a camping supply store.It bungies on real good. Don't spend a lot of money on fancy motorcycle specific bags or luggage. you would be surprised at what you can find in a surplus store,camping/outdoor/sporting goods store, thrift store.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

My wife puts a Nelson Rigg Riggpak 350 Dayrunner behind her on her RT. She has an Ultimate Seats "tall boy" with backrest, and it utilizes the space between the rider backrest on the seat and the passenger backrest perfectly. She attaches it with a short bungie on each side that she passes through the passenger grab handle, then hooks the ends onto the front and rear mounting rings. Works great, very durable and has a ton of room. It comes with a rain cover.

https://www.nelsonrigg.com/luggage/c...er-detail.html

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Spyder Garage

Default First Gear Dry Bag

Patti I have the First Gear 25L dry bag that I strap to the passenger seat. I took it along with my Nelson Rigg saddlebags to the Deadwood Trike rally last July. I did remove all 3 bags each night to my hotel room. But if I was taking a day trip only I used the First Gear bag to store rain gear and other things I might need . It worked well for me.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Patti, be sure that whatever bag you choose will still allow you to lift the seat to gas up without having to remove the bag. You can run straps under the seat and, as long as you can push the bag forward a bit so it isn't pressing up against the passenger backrest, you can still lift your seat. If you have to take the bag off completely at every stop you will soon be wishing you had your trailer with you.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    any bag will do. I have a stuff bag that I got at a camping supply store.It bungies on real good. Don't spend a lot of money on fancy motorcycle specific bags or luggage. you would be surprised at what you can find in a surplus store,camping/outdoor/sporting goods store, thrift store.
    Plus some heavy duty plastic trash bags to keep everything dry, and roll of duct tape just in case it needs securing more.

Worse part is hauling that sucker off every fill-up!
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

FYI, my Ultimate seat has a gas door, so I don't have to lift the seat to refuel.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Biker Friend Endorsement

I have used a Biker's Friend for some years on my old Victory Vision (Street edition 2009 Arlen Ness Custom). Because there was no sissy bar I used the four straps to attach it tightly and it was perfect backrest.

I am new to Spyder world and plan a 2 week trip soon where I will use the Biker's Friend also as a back rest (nice PVC tube covered in fake leather) and it wedges nicely into the passenger seat. However I do not have the Ultimate seat with fuel door so I will try to strap it less tightly to give play to raise the seat for fueling. We'll see how that goes...
    SpyderWalter

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like "UL"; I'm a large "garbage bag" kind of guy!
    There are other tactics that can be used to minimize the amount of stuff that you have to carry:
    1. Buy clothes along the way
    2. Mail Home the dirty laundry (Have cameras to video the postman's face as he carries them! )
    3. Pack clothing that can be easily compressed into the smallest possible size
    4. Minimize the amount of toiletries that you need...
    A. Check to see if hotel rooms have hairdryers
    B. Use the soap in the hotel rooms; you've already paid for it!
    C. Carry the smallest sizes of whatever stuff you need; you can always replace them on the road
    5. Souvenirs? Mail them home too! (But separately from the Laundry!)
    6. One pair of footwear: your riding boots!
    I was able to pack for an eight -day trip on my RT, by following these guidelines...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Packing

I just returned from th SPIR trip and did not pull my trailer. I am on a 2013 RTL. Extra helmet, gloves, gas in right side. Rain gear, bike cover, few tools in left side. Camara, binocs, more tools, pc, rags, duct tape and personal bag in rear. Extra shoes, travel bag, maps, cargo nets and dry bags from Cabelas (which I did not need). I have a rack on the rear which I put another travel bag and my dirty clothes collapseable bag. I use a small cargo net to secure the bags to the rack. My rear seat was empty and I could of put more stuff there if needed. If I go on the Nova Scotia run in 2017 have not decided on to bring trailer or not....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN View Post
    i have doc's spyder rack, worked great for me on my first trip
    We're going to use DOC's Spyder Rack for the first time for our 5 day trip over Labor Day.
    2021 Marsala Red Metallic RT Limited

Spyder Garage

Hi, Patti, I won't be much help on paring down because I always seem to over pack!! I do have the Biker's Friend round bag that I use on the passenger seat of our 2012 RT. I do have to take it off to fuel, just part of the fuel stop routine now when we travel. I used that and the luggage that came with the Spyder for our trip to the 3WheelMotorcyle Rally this summer and for most weekend trips that works for me. We did a 3500 mile trip this summer out to Washington state to visit our kids last week of July and first week of August and pulled the trailer for that trip and similar trips, it just works better to carry extra stuff back and forth to the kid's. We have the 622 trailer. Hello to JKMSPYDER! Glad you made home from the Deadwood rally. It was great meeting you and riding with you! Peggy

Spyder Garage

Default Bag from rivico

Fyi great bag expands,wheatherproof & reflective. But no part number i emailed & they say currently only selling @ events. I use $5 cable lock to secure to bike & luggage locks to seal. 1more bag for hotel but does me fine. Not sure of airline carry-on. Fyi fits snug in frunk, b4 expanding give you idea of size. Only thing now I have to add bike patches to it like my vest. Allowes me more options for packing & better I think than the top case BRP is all too proud of$$$$!(&wont match color or keysfyi) Rivico has link to what events they will be at on page. hope this helps
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Any thoughts?
    Not nitpicking, but in cutting down the packing list, have you considered maybe cutting down what is carried in the storage compartments.

I have no idea of what is in the sidebags, trunk or frunk on your trips. I would expect that with some careful consideration, and going solo, the oem storage would be enough.

We use the BRP side storage accessory fabric bags. One holds the half cover while the other holds the rain gear. These are relatively inexpensive from BRP at around $50 per pair. If packed thin, two bags will fit in each side bag. These are cool since everything remains contained and does not fall out when the hatch is opened.

http://www.amazon.com/Can-Am-2194001.../dp/B00AFWP5U8

As for tools, currently we run light when local. I'll use the frunk for the tools to keep heavier stuff low, but don't plan on much more than "transformer" style tools. I also use the frunk for cleaning supplies.

Regardless, you have a cool plan, and the bag behind the seat is cool too.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Not nitpicking, but in cutting down the packing list, have you considered maybe cutting down what is carried in the storage compartments.

I have no idea of what is in the sidebags, trunk or frunk on your trips. I would expect that with some careful consideration, and going solo, the oem storage would be enough.

We use the BRP side storage accessory fabric bags. One holds the half cover while the other holds the rain gear. These are relatively inexpensive from BRP at around $50 per pair. If packed thin, two bags will fit in each side bag. These are cool since everything remains contained and does not fall out when the hatch is opened.

http://www.amazon.com/Can-Am-2194001.../dp/B00AFWP5U8

As for tools, currently we run light when local. I'll use the frunk for the tools to keep heavier stuff low, but don't plan on much more than "transformer" style tools. I also use the frunk for cleaning supplies.

Regardless, you have a cool plan, and the bag behind the seat is cool too.

PK
    I currently use the RT storage: Frunk - scarves, gloves, sweater,documents, helmet storage; Left Sidebag - tire kit, first aid kit, travel cover; Right Sidebag - rain gear; Trunk - catch-all for hat, purse, extra water, GPS storage, inverter storage, etc. Maybe not the most logical arrangement, but I've gotten to know where everything is and it's been working for me.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)