Spyder Garage

Default 2014 RT Air Filter Change

A forum member told me the filter was on the left side (I'd opened the right and found nothing of interest) and armed with that small bit of info, I dug in. It was easy-peasy. Remove the upper tupperware, the sound baffle and the cover of the air cleaner is exposed. It has but three torx screws and two are easily reached but the third is just an angled torx device. I got a set at Sears for about $14 that was extremely useful. The red is the original filter. Note that the K&N has a head piece that has a flat space that mates with the protrusion built into the air box cover. There is an up arrow on the cover. Just align the new filter to that protrusion and it will hold the filter in place. Just push it in, give it a twist to make sure you've inserted properly, re-align and button it all back up. Should take 5 minutes to replace the filter on and off and whatever time you take to remove and replace the tupperware is total job time. Less than an hour for me.

The filter is K&N part number CM-1314. To use K&N is of course a personal choice. I've had NO issues with K&N in two BMW K1200LT's, BMW 528i, Avalon and Chevy Silverado. In the 4 wheels I also always change the mufflers to FlowMaster. I have always found it allows more air and never had an issue as one member has reported with 'stuff' coming off the filter. Imagine that hundreds of NASCAR engines use K&N so....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE K & N FILTER SWAP

For those who may not know how to do this .....Thank you from them......Also BAJARON sells them for less then you can get them on-line.............If you go this route you will never have to but another one and neither will the next owner ...or next....or next...etc ................Mike

Spyder Garage

What is the cost of each? Yeah, I know K&N lasts forever, etc, etc. At 81 I'm not gonna be here forever, so its only the initial cost that concerns me.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

That's good stuff, thanks for the info. I'll be changing mine soon to the permanent one from BajaRon. I suspected this would be a fairly simply project, and you just confirmed it.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass
    • Laser Alignment by Squared Away
    • TricLED Fender Lights
    • General Altimax RT43 rear tire
    • Dual flag holder
    • Mud Flap
    • A$$hole seeking missile system

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .If you go this route you will never have to but another one and neither will the next owner ...or next....or next...etc ................Mike
    How can that be? Is it washable? There's no way you can run a filter forever without cleaning it some way or another, either by replacing or washing or blowing out.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    How can that be? Is it washable? There's no way you can run a filter forever without cleaning it some way or another, either by replacing or washing or blowing out.
    A K&N air filter will eventually need to be cleaned and re-oiled. But they actually filter better as they accumulate dirt - to a point. In most environments that the Spyder encounters. It is going to be many years before a service is needed.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Keeping it stock would be fine too..When I removed mine stock it was still clean..I have no noticeable performance increase with the K&N . The one advantage it is washable..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Not so easy for me -

Ricford - Any idea why I might be having trouble getting the "ring" that holds the filter in to seat? I got everything apart ok, got the old filter out, the new K&N in thru the ring but it won't twist back on again. Thoughts?

Spyder Garage

I put in my K&N air filter a month or so ago, at the same time that I did my 12,000 mile oil change. You are right, it's easy-peasy. And as Mike stated, you'll never have to change it again.

Thanks for the comprehensive instruction for those who's hands tremble at the thought of changing their air filter.

Pam

• 2015 RT-S Special Series / Red & Black
    • Baja Ron Sway Bar
    • Utopia Backrest
    • F4 Customs tall and wide vented windshield
    • Stebel Super Loud Air Horn
    • Baker Built Air Wings
    • LaMonster Highway Pegs
    • SpyderPops Exhaust Block Off Plate
    • SpyderPops KOTT Grill
    • SpyderPops Belt Guard
    • Cat Bypass