Thread: Spring Ryde

Spyder Garage

Default Spring Ryde

Okay, this is something that I haven't done much of, at least not for a group, so please bear with me. This is based on an article in Rider Magazine from September, 2008.
    I'm trying to put together a one day ryde, or several of them, to parts of southern Indiana, staying off the beaten path as much as possible. So here it goes.

Meet early, at a convenient spot on State Road 135, someplace in Greenwood.
    Go south on 135 to Nashville, maybe stop and "go tourist" for a while, there's a good coffee shop there.
    Continue south to 46, turn east for about 2 miles then south on 135 again through Story, Freetown, Medora, Millport, Kossuth, Salem, Palmyra, and Corydon to Mauckport.
    We've got time to make plans, or play it by ear, quite a few of these places have things to see and "picture ops". I don't plan on hurrying, and I'd like to keep it to one day. I'll try to get more info as to where things are and so forth.
    From Mauckport, north to Corydon on 135, then west on 62 to Leavenworth, then to 145. North on 145, then a side trip a little bit west to Siberia, then to Birdseye, then 150 to French Lick, Prospect and Shoals. Take 50 to Bedford, then 58 to Heltonville, 446 to Bloomington, we'll cross a lake on the way.
    446 to 46, east to N. Smith Road to SR 45 to N. Lick Creek Road, left to 135 in Morgantown. Between Bloomington and Morgantown there's pretty much nothing but road, but it's nice and crooked.

As near as I can figure, if we do the whole thing at once, this is going to be a 350 to 360 mile trip, but as I said, this can be 1 day, or several, any thoughts or input would be welcome.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

John,
    just saw your mention of this post on main board. Count me in for this and will be willing to help with any planning, logistics etc. I live in Carmel and will be a new spyder rider as soon as the weather improves. I have a red se waiting for me at the dealers. looking forward to meeting you and others in the near future.

Dick

Spyder Garage

I've done some checking on the route, I'm not sure about Mauckport, under the Ohio River bridge, not much to see except the river. I'll be going through the whole thing, getting some estimates on times and places of interest. May have to make this a 2 day thing, depending on sightseeing and meals, etc.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm looking forward to it. Keep us posted. PM me if you need me to do anything.
    Dick

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) 8LEGS's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hey, count me in, as long as work schedule permits. If not, maybe I can meet up with ya on your route somewhere for lunch? Keep us posted.

Spyder Garage

Same here...if work schedule allows I may be interested. Keep us posted. Thanks

Spyder Garage

I'm real flexible as far as time is concerned, my daughter will house-sit, so I've got no worries there. I've checked the route down to Mauckport, from Morgantown to Salem the road is really interesting, from Salem to Corydon, they straightened it out. I'm planning on checking Corydon to Siberia later this week, and then the rest of the trip a few days after that. I need to check for places to eat, take pics, and so on, thinking of a vidcam to tape this too. Any ideas are very welcome.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am flexible as well as to the schedule. Im sure I can work it in. Not familiar with that part of the state so looking forward to trip. By the same token, I won't be of any help in the route planning. Anything else, though, John I will be glad to help. I am retired so I have the time.

Spyder Garage

Seems like every time I plan on a run to check things out, other thing pop up, I'm going to try to make the whole run tomorrow, get some idea of the time involved, food, picture taking places, and so on. Hopefully there won't be any surprises. More later.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

looking forward to it.

Spyder Garage

looks like a cool ride. I may ride have to ride that route someday.
    I hope to hear how it goes.

Spyder Garage

I've been pretty busy, between the Spyder and other odd jobs for friends, haven't had a chance to check out the route for sure, hope to get to it this week, the way things are going, no guarantees, but I'll try.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    I've been pretty busy, between the Spyder and other odd jobs for friends, haven't had a chance to check out the route for sure, hope to get to it this week, the way things are going, no guarantees, but I'll try.

john
    I'll keep checking back. No problem. Let me know if I can do anything.

Did you get your riser kit installed? Looking forward to seeing it before I consider ordering one. I'm pretty tall so not sure about it.

Spyder Garage

Risers are in, got to adjust them, but highway pegs and 12 volt outlets are going on first while the tupperware is off. I didn't get as much done as I wanted to, so rainy days are going to be busy.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Risers are in, got to adjust them, but highway pegs and 12 volt outlets are going on first while the tupperware is off. I didn't get as much done as I wanted to, so rainy days are going to be busy.

john
    are you using the NMN pegs? and where are you putting the outlets? Going with a fusebox?

Sorry to be so nosey, These are things I want to put on my spyder as well? You have alot more experience than I.

Spyder Garage

Got the Kewlmetal mounts, Kuryaken pegs, outlets going in under instruments. Trying to figure out a good place to mount 2 six circuit fuse blocks, 1 switched, 1 unswitched, couldn't find anything smaller than 6, don't think I'll use more than 2 or 3 of each, but I'd rather be looking at it than for it. Getting to the point I think I've developed an Exlax touch; everything I've started turns to crap.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like you need to try some of your own medicine-the mocha vodka valium latte.

can't help you on the fuse blocks. I think I am going with the eastern beaver pc-8 when it comes out next month. I imagine you already know about it. Any reason for going with kewlmetal brackets instead of the NMN? From what I read, the NMN set is for longer legs, which is what I need.
    Am I wrong?

Spyder Garage

The Kewlmetal tie into the motor mounts, much stronger. What is the pc-8? Haven't heard anthing about it.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You can see the PC-8 on easternbeaver.com under fuse panels. They have the BMW style outlets as well. Lots of electrical stuff for motorcycles.

Have to look into the kewlmetal mounts a little more closely.
    Dick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Kewlmetal tie into the motor mounts, much stronger. What is the pc-8? Haven't heard anthing about it.

john
    John, been looking at the kewlmetal brackets. Don,t see any installation instructions anywhere. How difficult are they to install?
    Looks like they are in about the same location as the NMN set so foot location should be close to the same

Spyder Garage

There are 3 motor mount bolts, 1 on each side, and 1 that goes straight through, roughly around where the rider's pegs mount, they mount on these. The long bolt and the right side bolt are replaced with longer bolts, most of the tupperware below the seat has to be removed to get to the bolts, but I already had it off anyway. I'm not familiar with the NMN mounts, I think they're like the Billet Bike Parts mounts that tie under the "fins" in front of rider's pegs. I should have it all back together tomorrow, if I can find my camera, I'll take some pics.

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, I would appreciate a picture. Got the info on the PC8 fuse box I assume, what do you think?
    Dick

Spyder Garage

Another fuse box option:

Clicky: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...02&postcount=1

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    Sounds like you need to try some of your own medicine-the mocha vodka valium latte.

can't help you on the fuse blocks. I think I am going with the eastern beaver pc-8 when it comes out next month. I imagine you already know about it. Any reason for going with kewlmetal brackets instead of the NMN? From what I read, the NMN set is for longer legs, which is what I need.
    Am I wrong?
    ata = allergic to asphalt

My mods: https://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5753
    There are two kinds of people: (1) those who can read, reason and apply the experiences of others; and (2) those who just have to pee on the electric fence. ataDude, 2009

My Spyder:

Spyder Garage

Okay, I need some input, from Corydon, shall we go to 145, then to Washington, or Loogootee, or Bloomington? This is beginning to look like a 2 or 3 day ryde. Any thoughts?

john