Spyder Garage

Unhappy Brake Failure message

I was riding to work Thursday morning when a brake failure message scrolled across my display. I was not using the brakes at that moment and thought it was very odd. The message popped up three more times on my way to work, but never while I was actually using the brakes. On my way home that afternoon the message never appeared. The next morning I rode the spyder to work and again had the message. On the way home nothing. My brake pads are in good shape and do not appear to be dragging on the rotors. I have plenty of stopping power and the brake pedal does not feel spongy. Does anybody have any idea what the issue might be?

Just sayin'...........
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

dang chad, i'd take it to the dealer for sure!!

Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure Warning

​It could be that as you are riding to work you are going slightly uphill and that is telling your brake sensor that your fluid is low. As you are riding home, the fluid could be telling the sensor that your fluid level is OK. I would check the brake fluid before taking to dealer. If it looks a little low, top off and then take your ride to work to see if that takes care of it.
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Check the fluid level just a little low like a teaspoon and it will bring the message up.

Spyder Garage

I Forgot to mention that the temperature in the morning was in the low 50's and on the way home the temp was in the low 80's. I was thinking brake fluid could possibly be the culprit.

Just sayin'...........
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    ​It could be that as you are riding to work you are going slightly uphill and that is telling your brake sensor that your fluid is low. As you are riding home, the fluid could be telling the sensor that your fluid level is OK. I would check the brake fluid before taking to dealer. If it looks a little low, top off and then take your ride to work to see if that takes care of it.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Another vote for checking the brake fluid. Temp changes could have something to do if there is expansion/contraction of the fluid.

My brake failure warnings have always occurred when I go down a particular mountain pass with a severe grade. It was always low fluid--usually less than a tbsp.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Agree..!!

has to do with the level. Be it the incline, brake wear or temp check the level and top off. Make sure you put the caps on correctly they are vented (vent goes up).
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Fluid

Hates inclines & is hypersensative. Careful adding it can be quite caustic! Prolly wont need more than a tbl spoon , be sure caps are on right after. If hou gotta try dealer, so be it.
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

These sure are temperamental machines, aren't they? Clean around the cap before opening it and like Bfomla said be careful not to spill any on your paint.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by otter28169 View Post
    I was riding to work Thursday morning when a brake failure message scrolled across my display. I was not using the brakes at that moment and thought it was very odd. The message popped up three more times on my way to work, but never while I was actually using the brakes. On my way home that afternoon the message never appeared. The next morning I rode the spyder to work and again had the message. On the way home nothing. My brake pads are in good shape and do not appear to be dragging on the rotors. I have plenty of stopping power and the brake pedal does not feel spongy. Does anybody have any idea what the issue might be?

Just sayin'...........

Hey Otter,

What ever happened to your issue? I got the same message right after i did a fill up at the gas station. But it just stayed on and never went off. im gonna check the brake fluid also and see if that helps any. Brakes themselves seem to be working just fine.

thanks,
    Fas

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fas2000 View Post
    Hey Otter,

What ever happened to your issue? I got the same message right after i did a fill up at the gas station. But it just stayed on and never went off. im gonna check the brake fluid also and see if that helps any. Brakes themselves seem to be working just fine.

thanks,
    Fas
    Fluid was good. Checked it a couple weeks back. Codes went away, but I was worried. Haven't ridden much since the rally, but I tried to set the parking brake (while adjusting headlights) and I have no tension in the pedal. I do not use my brakes much and I am wondering if the slides in the rear caliper are set up. My reasoning is that if you ride with your foot resting on the brake pedal the spyder will scroll the brake failure message. I am going to take the rear brakes apart tomorrow or Tuesday and lubricate the caliper slides and see where I stand. I will post when I get more info.

Just sayin'...........

Just sayin'............

Spyder Garage

So, I got at it last night in the shop and was surprised by my findings. It only takes a few minutes to get the rear caliper off and when I did, I found that my pads were quite worn. I am very shocked, as I have about 11,000 miles on them. My father took one for the team and rode up to Ingles' in Phoenix, NY today to pick up a set of oem pads (I got 25,000 miles out of the original set w/no issues). I am going to get the rear pads replaced, and then check on the fronts. There was a little wear on the slides, but nothing that should cause the pads to hang up. The rotors on all three wheels look good, and I have pressure at the pedal. I will not be able to get it done tonight; my son has football practice, and I have practice with the Mid-York Concert Band. I will check in again tomorrow when I get a look at the fronts.

Just sayin'............

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

brake fluid, had the same message, nothing wrong with the brakes , just set off the light. KINDA FREAKY, heading out for a ride. just top it off , about a table spoon if that , DO NOT SPILL , and the idiot light should go off. Good luck. Does not take hardly anything to set it off ....

Spyder Garage

Default Nothing is ever that easy

Yea i got the brake failure message and checked the brake fluid it looked a little low. I added a little and still had the message so i added a little more and i still had the message. Now its up to the bottom of the cap and still have the message. I checked both sensors to make sure there was no damage and the connections to make sure they were connected. I pulled the the code C1282 that just says low pressure in brake lines and to check for leaks. Done that, no leaks i've driven it around for two days now with brake failure message and there in no loss of brake fluid in master cylinder so whatever im not taking it to the dealer unless brakes stop working.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

They can reset that sensor with BUDS. At the dealer of course.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ssd View Post
    Yea i got the brake failure message and checked the brake fluid it looked a little low. I added a little and still had the message so i added a little more and i still had the message. Now its up to the bottom of the cap and still have the message. I checked both sensors to make sure there was no damage and the connections to make sure they were connected. I pulled the the code C1282 that just says low pressure in brake lines and to check for leaks. Done that, no leaks i've driven it around for two days now with brake failure message and there in no loss of brake fluid in master cylinder so whatever im not taking it to the dealer unless brakes stop working.

This is pretty common. You need to flush the brakes. Your fluid is contaminated and nanny is not seeing the pressure she should for a given pedal position. She is pretty smart on this one. You should flush the fluid every year.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame