Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

I changed mine just before our NTA trip at 21,000 miles. Early I know, but did not want to have to have that done during the trip.

It's more involved than just the standard oil and filter change, but that's where you start by draining all the oil out first as you will still get a fair amount out of that cover.
    It is located at the bottom far right of the motor on the right side. I removed the right side black plastic support piece that holds the snap on vented Tupperware and the headlight adjuster as well as the right side short skid plate below it. This gave me direct access to the 10mm (head) bolts on the cover as well as a strait shot for the oil to drain.

The cover and filter are one piece so remove the bolts and pull the old cover off and replace with the new and bolt it on. Fill with oil (make sure your drain plugs and back in) run the bike and check for any leaks then button it all back up. Have a beer and congratulate yourself on saving a lot of $ that the dealer would have charged you.

If you have the time to wait you can find the filter on line for less than the $105 I paid.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I changed mine just before our NTA trip at 21,000 miles. Early I know, but did not want to have to have that done during the trip.

It's more involved than just the standard oil and filter change, but that's where you start by draining all the oil out first as you will still get a fair amount out of that cover.
    It is located at the bottom far right of the motor on the right side. I removed the right side black plastic support piece that holds the snap on vented Tupperware and the headlight adjuster as well as the right side short skid plate below it. This gave me direct access to the 10mm (head) bolts on the cover as well as a strait shot for the oil to drain.

The cover and filter are one piece so remove the bolts and pull the old cover off and replace with the new and bolt it on. Fill with oil (make sure your drain plugs and back in) run the bike and check for any leaks then button it all back up. Have a beer and congratulate yourself on saving a lot of $ that the dealer would have charged you.

If you have the time to wait you can find the filter on line for less than the $105 I paid.
    Does anyone have pictures or link to a YouTube for this?
    2014 RTL Platinum