Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by irvin48 View Post
    just let it warm up for a few minutes. backed out of the shop, and slowly shifted the first 3 gears up an d down.
    kinda had a mind of its own. went about 5 miles shifting up and down. back to normal after less than a mile.
    i came back and let it idle for a minute with the dipstick out in case a bubble or 2 needed to escape.got over 400 miles since.
    OK. Sounds like a prudent approach. I am trying to quantify why some have shifting issues and others do not. I'm not finding any pattern in this. I'm either missing something. Or, this is just a random issue.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

oh, and thank you for the trans and oil filters, brake pads ,and plugs. always good
    service !-irv
    2015 rts-white pearl- mods- '16 F3 fat 6 chrome wheels,
    and some little stuff. setback utopia backrest, baja ron
    sway bar, oem adj. air deflectors, marlin gps compass,
    lamonster fbb foot pegs[modified brackets], lamonts
    vibration damper, rock guard, and side case stiffener kit,
    . brp comfort seat. , fomozas and
    altimax, magic mirror mts, and wide mirrors.
    [joyce & irvin toms]

Spyder Garage

I just saw this thread and thought theres something I know about.I have been a transmission rebuilder for over 30 years.Heres my opinon as to why BRP says BUDS is needed.What is going on inside .When a shift is ordered by TCM a solenoid opens to allow fluid to flow into a piston that pushes the clutch into its disengaged position,then another solenoid moves the shifter arm to go up or down a gear or into reverse.After the gear position sensor confirms that the gear has changed another solenoid opens to allow fluid to flow to the other side of the piston causing the clutch to engage again, shift done,seems easy right but no so.The problem is that oil viscosity changes with temp and clutch friction levels change also and clutch thickness changes and gets thinner as the bike ages.The first automatic clutch I worked on was in VW Squareback wagon 1961 I think.It was a clunky quirky POS but it worked without a computer.Hydraulic control systems now use Pulse Width Modulated solenoids so that the TCM can control the speed that the fluid enters that piston chamber.They also use RPM sensors put in certain places so they can tell when full clutch lockup has occured or full disengagement has occured.They record the amount of time it takes for these events to happen and plug that info into a data table to get ready for the next shift.Now when you change that filter pockets of air get in the system,air compresses unlike fluid which instantly changes data in those tables which can react to the changes but not that quickly so it takes a few miles of shifting to bleed the air out which it is designed to do and get the data tables back to what they were before.The clunks/jerkiness that you sometimes feel is a result of TCM programming that isnt spot on,and that could be addressed by a computer flash update but this would cost BRP a lot and still would not fix the clunk into reverse or 1st when cold,that is caused by a problem where a heavy shaft is turning fast and simply does not have time to slow down to match the speed of gear its trying to go into.That would require a bit of redesign that I dont think they care that much about.As far as the filter goes some folks have it backwards,filters nowadays are very high quality usually 5 micron, large surface area dacron or polyester filters,whereas 50 years ago many so called filters were actually a brass screen which was a little tighter than a window screen.The reason for the change was bc old oil was thick,very thick when cold.The new oil is thin and stays thin at low temps.Also these control systems demand clean fluid.The reason why the dealer wants to reset your computer after a filter change besides making money is bc they can cycle the solenoids to get the data tables correct without actually causing any wear and tear,there is a real possibilty that if someone were to go out and "jump"on it during the first few shifts after a filter change they might cause a little wear on the clutch or get a hard clunk into a gear.When I had my shop we had scan tools to reset most cars but if we got an oddball we just drove it easy for a while and I never had a problem. IMHO,just change your filter if you can,check for leaks and take it easy on the initial test ride.If you beat on your bike and dont change the oil much you probably should change that filter at 28k,but if you go easy and change you eng oil filter when your told then maybe you can go a little longer on the trans.I like to save my work for the winter.
    :
    : 2017 RTL ORBITAL BLUE

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder01 View Post
    I just saw this thread and thought theres something I know about.I have been a transmission rebuilder for over 30 years.Heres my opinon as to why BRP says BUDS is needed.What is going on inside .When a shift is ordered by TCM a solenoid opens to allow fluid to flow into a piston that pushes the clutch into its disengaged position,then another solenoid moves the shifter arm to go up or down a gear or into reverse.After the gear position sensor confirms that the gear has changed another solenoid opens to allow fluid to flow to the other side of the piston causing the clutch to engage again, shift done,seems easy right but no so.The problem is that oil viscosity changes with temp and clutch friction levels change also and clutch thickness changes and gets thinner as the bike ages.The first automatic clutch I worked on was in VW Squareback wagon 1961 I think.It was a clunky quirky POS but it worked without a computer.Hydraulic control systems now use Pulse Width Modulated solenoids so that the TCM can control the speed that the fluid enters that piston chamber.They also use RPM sensors put in certain places so they can tell when full clutch lockup has occured or full disengagement has occured.They record the amount of time it takes for these events to happen and plug that info into a data table to get ready for the next shift.Now when you change that filter pockets of air get in the system,air compresses unlike fluid which instantly changes data in those tables which can react to the changes but not that quickly so it takes a few miles of shifting to bleed the air out which it is designed to do and get the data tables back to what they were before.The clunks/jerkiness that you sometimes feel is a result of TCM programming that isnt spot on,and that could be addressed by a computer flash update but this would cost BRP a lot and still would not fix the clunk into reverse or 1st when cold,that is caused by a problem where a heavy shaft is turning fast and simply does not have time to slow down to match the speed of gear its trying to go into.That would require a bit of redesign that I dont think they care that much about.As far as the filter goes some folks have it backwards,filters nowadays are very high quality usually 5 micron, large surface area dacron or polyester filters,whereas 50 years ago many so called filters were actually a brass screen which was a little tighter than a window screen.The reason for the change was bc old oil was thick,very thick when cold.The new oil is thin and stays thin at low temps.Also these control systems demand clean fluid.The reason why the dealer wants to reset your computer after a filter change besides making money is bc they can cycle the solenoids to get the data tables correct without actually causing any wear and tear,there is a real possibilty that if someone were to go out and "jump"on it during the first few shifts after a filter change they might cause a little wear on the clutch or get a hard clunk into a gear.When I had my shop we had scan tools to reset most cars but if we got an oddball we just drove it easy for a while and I never had a problem. IMHO,just change your filter if you can,check for leaks and take it easy on the initial test ride.If you beat on your bike and dont change the oil much you probably should change that filter at 28k,but if you go easy and change you eng oil filter when your told then maybe you can go a little longer on the trans.I like to save my work for the winter.
    It isn't like BUDS does nothing on a HCM filter change. It just isn't necessary if you take a bit of prudent precaution. After any oil change (engine only or HCM) let the engine idle for 60 seconds or so before revving at all. You should do this anyway for any oil change. This allows oil to refill all the passages, expel any air, and bring oil pressure back to operating levels. Residual oil on moving parts is enough to protect the engine at low stress, idle, until the system is purged. It usually takes only about 5 seconds or so. 60 seconds is way overkill, but doesn't hurt.

As Spyder01 explains, restoring operational pressures and expelling air pockets is a bit more complicated with the hydraulic solenoids which control shifting on an SE model. I recommend shifting between 1st & Reverse a few times, sitting still before riding easy and shifting through all the gears. You're going to do it anyway, at some point. So, just go easy that first run to give everything a chance to purge the system.

As for mileage. If you do a decent job of maintaining and servicing your Spyder. It won't hurt to go a little farther than 28,000 miles on the HCM. But, for warranty reasons, I recommend changing it. This is one area where they could give you grief on a warranty issue. Just keep record of Date, Mileage and components used and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 07-24-2020 at 10:27 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Hello PW,
    I'm about to replace my transmission filter. When you do a 1330 transmission filter replacement, is the gasket alone adequate to seal the cover plate against leaks? Or do I need to get some gasket sealer before I replace mine?
    Regards, PatrickH
    2014 Spyder RT LTD silver, Corbin saddle w/backrest & gas filler door, 4" stubby antenna, dual USB charging receptacle on dash, handlebar "cuff" attachment point for RAM phone mount, Diamond-R trunk-top level luggage rack, magic mirrors, Bestem saddle bag liners & Hopnel trunk bag (2-piece set), SpyderPops bumpskid (not lighted), highway foot rests; rear tire General Altimax 215/60/15, Baker Wind Wings, LED Headlights, RT Series 2010-2019 Rear Trunk Holder

Spyder Garage

Hello AeroPilot,
    You posting abt using a cross-pattern when tightening the SE6 transmission filter module-to-engine case reminded me that I don't even know what that torque is supposed to be. Do you know, by any chance?
    Regards, PatrickH
    2014 Spyder RT LTD silver, Corbin saddle w/backrest & gas filler door, 4" stubby antenna, dual USB charging receptacle on dash, handlebar "cuff" attachment point for RAM phone mount, Diamond-R trunk-top level luggage rack, magic mirrors, Bestem saddle bag liners & Hopnel trunk bag (2-piece set), SpyderPops bumpskid (not lighted), highway foot rests; rear tire General Altimax 215/60/15, Baker Wind Wings, LED Headlights, RT Series 2010-2019 Rear Trunk Holder

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    Clean off the surfaces and Remember to be easy on the cap screws when torquing it back and use a cross pattern to even out the seal on the filter module to the engine case. And the torque is just in inch lbs, so go easy. ....
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    Hello AeroPilot,
    You posting abt using a cross-pattern when tightening the SE6 transmission filter module-to-engine case reminded me that I don't even know what that torque is supposed to be. Do you know, by any chance?
    Regards, PatrickH
    Patrick, AeroPilot's post on page 2 of this thread about using that cross pattern was made way back in June 2019, so unless AeroP subscribed to this thread, you might never see a response from him. Similarly with your other request - it is a thread that started a while ago, so you really should check the dates on any posts you want to query/as questions of the poster.

Sure, possibly someone else in the know might answer instead, but maybe you'd be better off sending AeroPilot a PM direct? (Include a link to this thread tho! ) Worth a shot!
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 05-28-2021 at 09:49 PM.
    2013 RT Ltd Pearl White

Ryde More, Worry Less!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

PatrickH -- first allow the gearbox to fully drain. Then remove the HCM filter Torx screws. Gently gently twist and pull the filter off. There shouldn't be much oil but a couple of paper towels underneath would be good. Inspect the various gearbox openings and make sure you have collected all O-rings. Wipe things mostly dry. Put a bit of oil on the HCM O-ring but not the outer seal. Gently gently push the filter back in place. Hand tighten (no tool) all the Torx screws. Then in three stages cross-pattern tighten the screws. Three stages is the minimum -- you do not want to bend the housing of your $100 filter and crimp the outer seal. Final torque is 11Nm/97inlb (Service Manual Supplement page 246). I used a 1/4" digital torque wrench. I'll be doing mine for the second time this weekend because the oil was dark (but otherwise clean) when I bought the RT-S at 77K. The clutch looks fairly easy to replace but I just as soon as leave it for the next owner. Best wishes.
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE6 Freeway Commuter Pod
    2016 Royal Enfield Classic 500 Fair-Weather Mountain Bike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PatrickH View Post
    Hello PW,
    I'm about to replace my transmission filter. When you do a 1330 transmission filter replacement, is the gasket alone adequate to seal the cover plate against leaks? Or do I need to get some gasket sealer before I replace mine?
    Regards, PatrickH
    The seal on the filter is all that is needed. I have done 4 changes and never used any additional sealer. Never had a leak. It is a messy job so I lay a large piece of cardboard down to catch any oil that gets past my pan.
    Run the engine for a while to ensure mo leaks before putting the Tupperware back on - this also purges any air that maybe in the system.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I changed mine just before our NTA trip at 21,000 miles. Early I know, but did not want to have to have that done during the trip.

It's more involved than just the standard oil and filter change, but that's where you start by draining all the oil out first as you will still get a fair amount out of that cover.
    It is located at the bottom far right of the motor on the right side. I removed the right side black plastic support piece that holds the snap on vented Tupperware and the headlight adjuster as well as the right side short skid plate below it. This gave me direct access to the 10mm (head) bolts on the cover as well as a strait shot for the oil to drain.

The cover and filter are one piece so remove the bolts and pull the old cover off and replace with the new and bolt it on. Fill with oil (make sure your drain plugs and back in) run the bike and check for any leaks then button it all back up. Have a beer and congratulate yourself on saving a lot of $ that the dealer would have charged you.

If you have the time to wait you can find the filter on line for less than the $105 I paid.
    Does anyone have pictures or link to a YouTube for this?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

I did mine at an oil/filter change a while back. Not a hard job. No BUDS. Just adds maybe 45 min to an hour to an oil change.

Lew L
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lew L View Post

I did mine at an oil/filter change a while back. Not a hard job. No BUDS. Just adds maybe 45 min to an hour to an oil change.

Lew L
    Where is it?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Is this it?

20220624_152547.jpg
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-24-2022 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Fixed attach display
    2014 RTL Platinum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

yes it is

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fatboy View Post
    yes it is
    Do you recall whether that is something that needs to be done at 28k? Or is it at 56k?
    2014 RTL Platinum

Spyder Garage

Hi Pete,
    Yes that's it. Change it at an oil change as you have to drain the oil anyways. Metric ball head hex wrenches help. Get and old towel to put under the filter as you'll get another 1/4 to 1/2 cup of oil draining out. Tighten in steps with a criss cross pattern and NOT too tight. Inch pounds stated in the thread somewhere. BUDS not needed, just lit it warm up a minute as you check for leaks. Shift int 1st and Reverse, then drive off for a test ride.

Good info in this whole thread.

Lew
    Kaos----- Gone but not forgotten.

2014 RTS in Circuit Yellow, farkle-ing addiction down to once every few months. ECU FLASH IS GREAT.
    2014 RTS , Circuit Yellow

Spyder Garage

Utahpete here is a YouTube video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTWmuSaDdB4&t=3131s

“Born to Ride......Ride to Live....MOATER ON !
    “Current ride: 2017 RT Limited”