Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone changed their 1330 trans filter yet?

Have any of you oil boys changed the transmission oil filter on your 1330 ace motor yet?? How big a hasel is it to change?

Spyder Garage

Default Doubt it....

That filter does not need changing for 28,000 miles. It resides inside the engine and requires removing engine covers to get at. Don't know what all is involved but the physical pulling of the cover and replacing is not that hard but then there may be more to it cause it is not a cheap service...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bluep View Post
    Have any of you oil boys changed the transmission oil filter on your 1330 ace motor yet?? How big a hasel is it to change?
    You might send a message to spyderann

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    That filter does not need changing for 28,000 miles. It resides inside the engine and requires removing engine covers to get at. Don't know what all is involved but the physical pulling of the cover and replacing is not that hard but then there may be more to it cause it is not a cheap service...
    I got the mileage on , I need to talk to someone who has done this themselves. I know the filter is about $105.

Spyder Garage

Sorry that would not be me. Hope you don't need buds for it... [emoji845]
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by happyspyder2039 View Post
    You might send a message to spyderann
    I've got a manual transmission so no transmission filter for me.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer required

Changing the transmission filter requires the BUDS Computer to be connected after the oil/filter change to cycle the various solenoids in the HCM (Hydraulic Control Module). Doing the procedure ensures that all the air that got into the system during the filter change is removed. Air in the hydraulic system is not good. So unless you have access to a BUDS computer you will need the dealer do the job.

Spyder Garage

I changed mine just before our NTA trip at 21,000 miles. Early I know, but did not want to have to have that done during the trip.

It's more involved than just the standard oil and filter change, but that's where you start by draining all the oil out first as you will still get a fair amount out of that cover.
    It is located at the bottom far right of the motor on the right side. I removed the right side black plastic support piece that holds the snap on vented Tupperware and the headlight adjuster as well as the right side short skid plate below it. This gave me direct access to the 10mm (head) bolts on the cover as well as a strait shot for the oil to drain.

The cover and filter are one piece so remove the bolts and pull the old cover off and replace with the new and bolt it on. Fill with oil (make sure your drain plugs and back in) run the bike and check for any leaks then button it all back up. Have a beer and congratulate yourself on saving a lot of $ that the dealer would have charged you.

If you have the time to wait you can find the filter on line for less than the $105 I paid.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc - Riverside View Post
    Changing the transmission filter requires the BUDS Computer to be connected after the oil/filter change to cycle the various solenoids in the HCM (Hydraulic Control Module). Doing the procedure ensures that all the air that got into the system during the filter change is removed. Air in the hydraulic system is not good. So unless you have access to a BUDS computer you will need the dealer do the job.
    No BUDS done, no Air, and no problems when I did mine and that was 10,000 miles ago. In fact the person who sold me the filter is also the head Spyder tech at my dealer and if BUDS was required he would have told me.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    No BUDS done, no Air, and no problems when I did mine and that was 10,000 miles ago. In fact the person who sold me the filter is also the head Spyder tech at my dealer and if BUDS was required he would have told me.
    Thanks PW20, Just what I needed from somebody that's done it. Thanks again , BLuep

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

just read this in the manual. If you replace the filter you need to make sure no air is in the system.. BUDS is required..

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by trikermutha View Post
    just read this in the manual. If you replace the filter you need to make sure no air is in the system.. BUDS is required..
    I was hoping that that was put in there to convince us we needed to take it to the dealer. I have 8500 miles left before I need to do mine so maybe a few others will have reported on theirs by then!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default BUDS

.....According to the MANUAL.......BUDS is REQUIRED for almost everything that is done on all Spyders...........Well guess what ...this is a Myth................It also says everytime a CODE shows on your screen.....put the Spyder on a trailer and IMMEDIATELY bring it to the nearest Dealer. If every one actually did this, the total mileage for ALL Spyders sold to date would be about 10,000 miles and 95 % of them would be in the shop right now WAITING to be serviced .................just sayin.........Mike

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default TRANS FILTER

Quote Originally Posted by bluep View Post
    Thanks PW20, Just what I needed from somebody that's done it. Thanks again , BLuep
    ...........I had been planning to do mine also.........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    .....According to the MANUAL.......BUDS is REQUIRED for almost everything that is done on all Spyders...........Well guess what ...this is a Myth................It also says everytime a CODE shows on your screen.....put the Spyder on a trailer and IMMEDIATELY bring it to the nearest Dealer. If every one actually did this, the total mileage for ALL Spyders sold to date would be about 10,000 miles and 95 % of them would be in the shop right now WAITING to be serviced .................just sayin.........Mike

HMMMMMMMMMMMM Maybe Jerry Rig up a purge the air in the system tool and bypass BUDS then and the dealer

Has anyone actually bought the BUDS software for home use out there?? The dealer version..I have also seen the non dealer version..

Spyder Garage

Default What did the old one look like inside?

PW, did you dissect the old one to see what it looked like? Would like to know what it is made of and whether there were
    any obvious accumulation of debris.

Looking at the fiche I don't see anything called transmission filter.
    Could it be what is called an "Oil radiator"? Oil Radiator

$104.99
    Last edited by ulflyer; 08-30-2015 at 02:33 PM.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

HMMMMMMMMMMMM Maybe Jerry Rig up a purge the air in the system tool and bypass BUDS then and the dealer

Has anyone actually bought the BUDS software for home use out there?? The dealer version..I have also seen the non dealer version..
    It is all the same version you just can't write any changes to BRP if you aren't a dealer. We also don't have access to the BOSS website

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Trans filter

Now I wanna do one! Bring it to me, with a filter and oil, and I will do it; I have buds, too!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

I've got the trans filters for the 1330 ACE motor in stock. $94.00 delivered.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    PW, did you dissect the old one to see what it looked like? Would like to know what it is made of and whether there were
    any obvious accumulation of debris.

Looking at the fiche I don't see anything called transmission filter.
    Could it be what is called an "Oil radiator"? Oil Radiator

$104.99
    I think what you're looking for is in the Clutch Cover parts list, item #16, Oil Filter and Cover Assembly in the attachment. The cover and and filter are an assembly replaced as a unit.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Spyder Garage

Yes anyone can own the BUDS system. All you need is a Laptop, buy the CAN BUS to USB interface module and the License. For maintenance on the SPYDER you only need to buy the SPYDER specific license for a very reasonable price. They are available in 1,2,5 and 10 year intervals your choice. This will allow you to bleed the brake system per the shop manual, SE6 transmission filter change as well as other maintenance/troubleshooting procedures called out in the shop manual. I have the BUDS and used it to Isolate a parking brake problem and use it to zero the sensors after I do Laser alignments.

Go to this WEB Site.

http://www.powersports-diag.com/12-brp-diagnostic-kits

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

BUDS is actually a lot more limited and generic looking than you'd ever believe. However, BRP Diagnostics is a great setup for the OEM software, and very reasonable. Just don't expect unicorns and glitter, you'll be disappointed. Up until about a year or so ago, we had been using it in the seadoo world when dealing with machines still using stock ecus. I always felt like I was working in windows 95. The biggest complaint we had was it seemed like we were noticeably slower to get the updates vs. The local dealer. Don't know if that's gotten better?? Never played with the spyder version though.

Spyder Garage

Default DIRECTIONS

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    DOES THE FILTER COME WITH DIRECTIONS....?
    dp
    SPYD3R F3-S

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

Good to know

Thanks Ron

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes anyone can own the BUDS system. All you need is a Laptop, buy the CAN BUS to USB interface module and the License. For maintenance on the SPYDER you only need to buy the SPYDER specific license for a very reasonable price. They are available in 1,2,5 and 10 year intervals your choice. This will allow you to bleed the brake system per the shop manual, SE6 transmission filter change as well as other maintenance/troubleshooting procedures called out in the shop manual. I have the BUDS and used it to Isolate a parking brake problem and use it to zero the sensors after I do Laser alignments.

Go to this WEB Site.

http://www.powersports-diag.com/12-brp-diagnostic-kits

Even tho maybe they are slow on updates are they legit??