Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DPS issues

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS issues

2014 RTSE6
    19k miles

Was on a ride today and stopped at a Sonic for a cold drink. Probably was there about 10 minutes before we left. We re-started the RT I had a Po533 I think, and had lost my power steering. If any of you have ever had that happen you will agree with me it is a bear to ride the Spyder without DPS. I rode about 40 miles with the indicator light on and the flashing icon for steering. When we stopped I pulled the key, did the walk, looked in the manual for the DPS fuse and pulled it and looked at it. It looked fine, but I pulled the same amperage fuse from another location and swapped them. Started the bike up and it was fine. No codes at all. Rode it another 75 miles with no problems. Again I stopped for about 10 minutes and (yep, you guessed it) no DPS at all. We rode about 40 miles and stopped for supper. When we got back on the bike it was again fine. And it was fine the rest of the way home.
    Tomorrow, I plan on putting it on the lift and check the connections going to the PS unit. Make sure nothing is loose. Anything else I should look at?

To tell the truth I am almost of a mind that it has to do with the ignition. There were some bad ones being sold last year and I had mine checked, but they said it was fine. Does anyone have any knowledge that a faulty ignition could cause this type of problem.

All help welcomed!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default DPS ISSUE

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    2014 RTSE6
    19k miles

Was on a ride today and stopped at a Sonic for a cold drink. Probably was there about 10 minutes before we left. We re-started the RT I had a Po533 I think, and had lost my power steering. If any of you have ever had that happen you will agree with me it is a bear to ride the Spyder without DPS. I rode about 40 miles with the indicator light on and the flashing icon for steering. When we stopped I pulled the key, did the walk, looked in the manual for the DPS fuse and pulled it and looked at it. It looked fine, but I pulled the same amperage fuse from another location and swapped them. Started the bike up and it was fine. No codes at all. Rode it another 75 miles with no problems. Again I stopped for about 10 minutes and (yep, you guessed it) no DPS at all. We rode about 40 miles and stopped for supper. When we got back on the bike it was again fine. And it was fine the rest of the way home.
    Tomorrow, I plan on putting it on the lift and check the connections going to the PS unit. Make sure nothing is loose. Anything else I should look at?

To tell the truth I am almost of a mind that it has to do with the ignition. There were some bad ones being sold last year and I had mine checked, but they said it was fine. Does anyone have any knowledge that a faulty ignition could cause this type of problem.

All help welcomed!!
    ...........This is interesting , because I thought the POWER STEERING wasn't giving any boost above about 7-8 MPH...........Mike

Spyder Garage

Ensure the relay is seated, and / or swap it for another less important system to test.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doc, do you have BUDS? If you hook up to BUDS you can pull up your occurred codes under the fault tab. P0533 doesn't come up on the My Spyder Codes app. maybe you have the number wrong?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Doc, do you have BUDS? If you hook up to BUDS you can pull up your occurred codes under the fault tab. P0533 doesn't come up on the My Spyder Codes app. maybe you have the number wrong?
    It probably is an incorrect number. I was riding while I pulled it and it was very bright. I used the Turn Signal and Mode Button together and then one to the right of Mode touched briefly. If it reoccurs I will make sure and get the correct number.

Mike, it's a pretty big deal trying to take curves without it. Perhaps the assist does not work at highway speeds, it may be idle. When it is dead it may not want to move so not only are you having to overcome the bump steer you are moving uncooperative power unit. Turn the bars a little either way is not too bad, but if you need to turn farther you need two hands to steer and even then it's a workout.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It probably is an incorrect number. I was riding while I pulled it and it was very bright. I used the Turn Signal and Mode Button together and then one to the right of Mode touched briefly. If it reoccurs I will make sure and get the correct number.

Mike, it's a pretty big deal trying to take curves without it. Perhaps the assist does not work at highway speeds, it may be idle. When it is dead it may not want to move so not only are you having to overcome the bump steer you are moving uncooperative power unit. Turn the bars a little either way is not too bad, but if you need to turn farther you need two hands to steer and even then it's a workout.
    If it happens again don't turn the Spyder off before you check the code. Take a picture of the screen with your cell phone then you don't have to try to remember the numbers. Good luck, I hope you get it fixed quickly.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default While your there...

check all the battery connectiond and ground straps. Just had one with similar problem and it was a loose connection at the battery...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Will do! Thanks!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default battery

Yeah I thought of loose battery connections too, but "didn't want to teach grandma to suck eggs". Hope this saying translates over the ocean! It's a compliment...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by loisk View Post
    Yeah I thought of loose battery connections too, but "didn't want to teach grandma to suck eggs". Hope this saying translates over the ocean! It's a compliment...
    Good one!

I find that sometimes when working on cars that if I don't hit the basics sometimes I will totally miss the problem. Any advice is appreciated!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    ...........This is interesting , because I thought the POWER STEERING wasn't giving any boost above about 7-8 MPH...........Mike
    According to the service manual that is not correct. The amount of steering assist varies by speed. The amount of force applied to the handle bars (torque). The steering angle. In a forward or reverse gear. There is no mention of the assist turning off above a certain speed.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Ensure the relay is seated, and / or swap it for another less important system to test.

PK
    The symptoms would match a relay problem except the only relay in the circuit to the DPS is the main and a lot of other systems would not be working if it was the problem.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    check all the battery connectiond and ground straps. Just had one with similar problem and it was a loose connection at the battery...
    That is where I would start. According to the wiring diagram the DPS has it's own dedicated ground. Not sure of it's physical location but that would be high on my list to check. Since your problems are limited to only that system. Also I think it would be very important to get the active code when it happens again. That is in case it is an internal issue and a replacement is needed.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I checked the battery connections and they moved just a little bit so that may have been the problem. I used Mikes' suggestion and put star washers on the connections. That should keep them tight and not vibrate loose. We are going out to test it. I'll report in later.....thanks, everyone!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default ASSIST

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    According to the service manual that is not correct. The amount of steering assist varies by speed. The amount of force applied to the handle bars (torque). The steering angle. In a forward or reverse gear. There is no mention of the assist turning off above a certain speed.
    ....If you were to take a guess .....how much assist do you think there is at say 50 MPH ????................Mike

Spyder Garage

....If you were to take a guess .....how much assist do you think there is at say 50 MPH ????................Mike
    Likely not much.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

What I am fining when it glitches is that I can fairly easily turn 1-1 1/2 inches either way with hardly and resistance. If I have to turn more than that for a corner, even at 50 mph, it is like molasses. It is 3 times the effort to turn it farther than that. I work as a mechanic and I have pretty good upper body strength and it was giving me trouble. You would not be able to make a quick turn at 50 mph and if one of our Spyder Ladies was ryding and this happened I doubt they would be able to handle it.

Spyder Garage

Default Possible DESS issues`

OK, we just got back from about 160 miles and it glitched twice. Both times a restart after a short stop. The code came out Po551. Hopefully that will shed some light. I had already tightened the battery connections and installed star washers, but when it happened the first time I went ahead and disconnected both negative and positive and touched them to each other away from the battery. Hooked it back up and no change. I then pulled the key and did the PO@BRP shuffle away from the bike about 35 feet, waited a minute, went back and it started with no codes. The fact that it started with no codes makes me think that it is a soft code rather than a hard code, which may be connected to the DESS and causing the issue. Just walking away from the bike and removing the key signal should not cause a problem elsewhere to reset, unless it's a glitch in the DESS.

Thoughts?

Spyder Garage

OK, we just got back from about 160 miles and it glitched twice. Both times a restart after a short stop. The code came out Po551. Hopefully that will shed some light. I had already tightened the battery connections and installed star washers, but when it happened the first time I went ahead and disconnected both negative and positive and touched them to each other away from the battery. Hooked it back up and no change. I then pulled the key and did the PO@BRP shuffle away from the bike about 35 feet, waited a minute, went back and it started with no codes. The fact that it started with no codes makes me think that it is a soft code rather than a hard code, which may be connected to the DESS and causing the issue. Just walking away from the bike and removing the key signal should not cause a problem elsewhere to reset, unless it's a glitch in the DESS.

Thoughts?
    P0551 is torque sensor failure. Your DPS is toast. Time for a new one.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Agree the DPS is most likely about to fail for good.
    Had P0551 and P0552 occur once ours bit the dust on the 2010 RT. Best warranty replaced it.

Has nothing to do with DESS.
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Spyder Garage

I then pulled the key and did the PO@BRP shuffle away from the bike about 35 feet, waited a minute, went back and it started with no codes.
    Thoughts?
    The key walk is a myth and a waste of time and effort. There is no need to remove the key. Just turn it off wait 30 seconds and if the fault is not there when the key is turned back on the fault will have changed from active to occured and only retrievable by BUDS.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    The key walk is a myth and a waste of time and effort. There is no need to remove the key. Just turn it off wait 30 seconds and if the fault is not there when the key is turned back on the fault will have changed from active to occured and only retrievable by BUDS.
    It's amazing how many people believe that removing the key and walking around actually does anything....[emoji57]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

It must be my imagination that this has reset it three times, then......

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yes, but it you had just left the key in the ignition and turned it back on the code would likely have been gone then also.
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Must have been my imagination also.
    2022 F3 Limited , Monolith Black / Dark