Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Spyder in the Smokies

Those of you going to Spyder in the Smokies might want to stop in and say HI! You are going to be riding the Dragon anyway, stop in at the Hub!

http://dochumphreys.wix.com/roadster#!specials/c16up
    Attached Images Attached Images

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We have just learned about the Tail of the Dragon. We've only lived in the Carolinas for 7 years and so this area we are still learning about. Also, we have
    had our Spyder for 4 months. I had never even sat on a motorcycle until we bought it. Any advice on doing the Tail of the Dragon on a Spyder?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyderjo333 View Post
    We have just learned about the Tail of the Dragon. We've only lived in the Carolinas for 7 years and so this area we are still learning about. Also, we have
    had our Spyder for 4 months. I had never even sat on a motorcycle until we bought it. Any advice on doing the Tail of the Dragon on a Spyder?
    Depends on how comfortable you are riding it. There are a lot of turns and can be intimidating for a first timer. Take it easy, don't let anyone push you. Ride it on a week day rather than a busy weekend especially with the leaf lookers coming into town. And finally, get a BBQ sandwich from the Hub.
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Pwm, what would be your top speed on tail of the dragon for most of the turns? I saw it on Google maps, the street view. It is curvy.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Pwm, what would be your top speed on tail of the dragon for most of the turns? I saw it on Google maps, the street view. It is curvy.
    It is definitely curvy, but as with any other road, you need to go at your own pace. I will have a passenger with me (my wife) for the first time ever. Normally I go as fast as possible, but you can bet I will be going very slowly this fall.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

The top speed is set by rider experience, configuration of bike i.e. what shocks, sway bar etc, 1up or 2 up., weather conditions.. It just isn't a question that has an answer that transfers numerically from one person to the next. Most folks try it easy then step it up a notch each time they ride it afterwards and become more experienced. The drop offs are severe in places. It isn't a place where you want to make a mistake. There are also lots of other rides in the area less brutal and I believe actually more scenic
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

Do the speed at your comfort level. the dragon is overrated. People that get into trouble are the hotshots. take ur time and enjoy it

Spyder Garage

Looks like others have answered this for me. Top speed is your comfort level and the Sheriff Departments participation as they patrol on a regular basis.

There are sections where you can blast it and others where its hard to do the speed limit. I usually tick of the nanny 8 or 9 times when I ride it.

US 28 over to Cherokee is a much better ride. The Devils Triangle is a much better ride than the Dragon as well.
    2017 F3- Limited

F4 23" Windshield, Ultimate Backrest, Spyder Cuff, SpyderPops Bump Guard, Sena SMH10 Intercom, BajaRon Sway Bar, Baker Cup Holder, RT-622 trailer w/Spyder Pops Bump Guard

Spyder Garage

Default Don't end up on the "tree of shame"!

I rode the Dragon last fall having only a couple thousand miles experience. Only got out of second gear a couple of times! Haha. You don't have time to look at the beautiful scenery. I'm sure it is much better on 2-wheels. As a newbie, you should probably go slow. There are a few spots to pull over and let the speed freaks go on around. I recommend you use them often! Haha. Hope you enjoy it and don't end up on the "tree of shame"! Enjoy.

Spyder Garage

Its ok but so many beautiful scenic rides where you can actually look around
    Cherahola Skyway! For example

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Be sure to have a BajaRon sway bar installed before you ride the Dragon!!!! This improves handling, especially in the corners. You'll be glad you did!
    Ride safe and enjoy the ride!
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ingramwc View Post
    Be sure to have a BajaRon sway bar installed before you ride the Dragon!!!! This improves handling, especially in the corners. You'll be glad you did!
    Ride safe and enjoy the ride!
    I have got to get a chance to ride a spyder with the BajaRon sway bar. I have taken my 2014 RT on the dragon, the Rattler, the Snake, and plenty of other mountain roads. And I think that it handles great! If this sway bar makes that much of a difference, I may want to look into one of those. But as for now, I am totally satisfied.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks everyone for your ideas about Tail of the Dragon. My husband is the one who will be driving. I'm just along for the ride. I did the Google map
    street view and it does look like a pretty ride that I will mostly be able to watch. I did see some areas to pull over. Do you have much trouble with speeders
    behind you on this road?

Spyder Garage

There are people that like the challenge of speed. Get over to the right or pull over and let them go. The main thing ride at a speed where you can STAY IN YOUR LANE. A lot of the accidents are people in the wrong lane causing problems with people coming in the other direction. Relax and have fun. For scenic ride the sky way is better.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

watch the speed limit closely around the Tail of the Dragon... cops hide with radar guns... don't know about you .. I don't like donating to their cause...

osm