Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer Hitch Install

My dealer quoted me $597 parts and labor to install a BRP hitch and wiring kit. That seems like a lot but I would probably spend two days (or more) designing , building and installing one that might not be as good as the factory hitch. I think I'll go dealer install on this one.

BTW, the dealer said that he had not had a DESS problem come in to his shop. I really trust this dealer! Nice guy and knowledgeable. All Seasons Power sports, Mineral Wells, WV.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If that $597 includes the price of the hitch:
    If it doesn't:
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    If it doesn't:
    Says parts and labor!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I figure that it pays to be sure...

Spyder Garage

If it doesn't:
    Yep, hitch, wiring and labor. He recons 1 1/2 hours labor. I'll get it put on when I take the bike for the 3000 mile service about a month from now.
    He is charging me $458 for the hitch kit.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Assumin I keep the trike, going to have the hitch done at rear time replacement time. Save a little on the labor.
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SailnDive View Post
    Yep, hitch, wiring and labor. He recons 1 1/2 hours labor. I'll get it put on when I take the bike for the 3000 mile service about a month from now.
    He is charging me $458 for the hitch kit.

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear..!!

about the good dealer and that your area is DESS problem free. You can find oem hitches at better prices and then have them install it though you would have no problem doing it yourself...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    about the good dealer and that your area is DESS problem free. You can find oem hitches at better prices and then have them install it though you would have no problem doing it yourself...
    OK, Found it on Amazon and Ebay. $219 for hitch and $85 for control module. Seems a lot for the wiring. I don 't mind doing the install. I'll try looking for a better price.
    Last edited by SailnDive; 08-27-2015 at 02:04 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

That's a good price for EBay.....Probably Big Boy Parts for the hitch and ShowChrome for the wiring harness. It's a fairly easy job to do....I think that removing the Tupperware is the toughest part. The wiring is plain and simple. I ended the harness in a flat 5 connector. My trailer already had a square 6 wire connector which I removed & spliced the brown and blue (running lights on my trailer) together and changed over to the female end of the flat 5. You can do the whole thing in about 3 hours.

Spyder Garage

I was just quoted 465. For hitch and wiring.... $185 for installation
    Be safe.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

One thing to think about here is if your dealer installs the hitch and wiring you have better warranty coverage on it. Ive had a few issues with the wiring harness over the years and was covered simply because it was dealer installed.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

And the plot thickens! After market price for the wiring/ module $85. Dealer claims 2 modules and wiring harness needed @ $291 PLUS the hitch hardware or $458 for the complete kit that includes hitch hardware, modules and wiring. If the $85 aftermarket wiring harness includes modules and wiring...that's how I'll go. I just don't want to end up with a non-functioning light system. Computers how I hate thee, let me count the ways.
    BTW, I am a retired computer networking instructor that vowed to never learn another thing about or fix another computers until the day I die. This bike may make a liar out of me.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dmfahie View Post
    I was just quoted 465. For hitch and wiring.... $185 for installation
    My Dealer quoted $597... so close to the same. He gave me a discounted price for parts.

Spyder Garage

You can do it your self . Really you can. Not hard.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spacetrucker View Post
    You can do it your self . Really you can. Not hard.
    I should have no problems doing the install...it's just being sure that I have the right parts and wiring harness. The dealer says that the OEM wiring has 2 electronic modules that "talk" to the bike. I just want to be sure that the aftermarket kit speaks the same language. I ordered the hitch hardware from Show Chrome Accessories Friday and I'll call them today to get the info on the wiring kit.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SailnDive View Post
    The dealer says that the OEM wiring has 2 electronic modules that "talk" to the bike. I just want to be sure that the aftermarket kit speaks the same language.
    I think that's FUD. There is a module in the harness but I'm sure it's sole function is to provide isolation between the trailer wiring and and the bike wiring. You really, really, want that, for two reasons. One, the additional lights on the trailer may add enough load to upset the balance for turn signal timing. Added lights on the bike have necessitated some SL members to reset the turn signal program for '14 & '15 models. '13 and earlier can't be reset.

The second, and overwhelming, reason you want an isolator is because the turn signal lights are wired directly into the cluster with no fuse between the cluster and the lights. If you connect the trailer wires directly you don't have any protection of the cluster in the event you have a short circuit. I can't say a short circuit will blow the cluster, but why chance it? It is one of those computers you hate! A cluster is about $700 or $800. This is one of those cases where an aftermarket part may void a warranty claim. But the isolator does not have to be a BRP isolator. Any good isolator will provide the protection you need. Some isolators will also convert the bike's 5 wire system to 4 wire for the trailer. I have a Goldwing GL1500 isolator in my harness and it works wonderfully well.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Just this morning I took the RT Ltd in for its 5000km check and asked for the price of a hitch installed. The dealer quoted $550.00 for the hitch and 1.5 hrs to install it, for a total of $775.00 Canadian, which Google tells me is $590 US Dollars.
    Tricled Foam Grips; Tricled Full Size Brake Pedal; Tricled Spyder Pockets; Sena SMH10 Comms system;
    F4 Plus3 TALL WIDE "Clear" Windshield w/ VENT; Airhawk R seats; BigBike Parts Rear Mud Flap
    Lamonster IPS;Lamonster Spyder Decals

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Its not the hitch install that is time consuming but installing the wiring harness for the lights is a brute to install.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by skymed View Post
    Just this morning I took the RT Ltd in for its 5000km check and asked for the price of a hitch installed. The dealer quoted $550.00 for the hitch and 1.5 hrs to install it, for a total of $775.00 Canadian, which Google tells me is $590 US Dollars.
    That's a fair price.

Most after market (go cheap) guys are eventually on here with wiring and install problems. Do yourself a favor, buy the OEM product and have it installed at the dealer. If there were to be a problem the dealer will fix it and it is under warranty. After market things seldom work out to be what is expected and not worth the headaches. This forum is filled with hitch and wiring problems from not using BRP OEM. Search this site and you will find this to be true.

Didn't your Daddy tell you that you get what you pay for?

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After all; what is your peace of mind worth?

Spyder Garage

After all; what is your peace of mind worth?
    There really is no reason to use the OEM harness. If the trailer lights are LED they will work fine. I have installed the show chrome side markers with turn signals and tapped the trailer lights off the same line. The brake lights for the trailer I used the same line as the one I tapped into for the show chrome 3rd brake light. I tested the circuits with an ohm meter and the load is minimal.

I used a 5 flat wiring harness I got from a trailer shop $6.50 and fused the lines and no issues
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    There really is no reason to use the OEM harness. If the trailer lights are LED they will work fine. I have installed the show chrome side markers with turn signals and tapped the trailer lights off the same line. The brake lights for the trailer I used the same line as the one I tapped into for the show chrome 3rd brake light. I tested the circuits with an ohm meter and the load is minimal.

I used a 5 flat wiring harness I got from a trailer shop $6.50 and fused the lines and no issues
    You didn't use an isolator then? Granted, the trailer LEDs probably won't overload the bike system but that's not the main concern. If you have a short in the trailer tail or brake lights you'll blow the fuse that feeds the bike lights also. Then you have no brake and/or tail lights on bike or trailer. The turn signals are the big concern. Short those circuits and you might blow the cluster. I can't say you will, but I can't say you won't either. There is no fuse between the cluster and the turn signal lights. Blow the cluster and you've blown several hundred dollars.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    You didn't use an isolator then? Granted, the trailer LEDs probably won't overload the bike system but that's not the main concern. If you have a short in the trailer tail or brake lights you'll blow the fuse that feeds the bike lights also. Then you have no brake and/or tail lights on bike or trailer. The turn signals are the big concern. Short those circuits and you might blow the cluster. I can't say you will, but I can't say you won't either. There is no fuse between the cluster and the turn signal lights. Blow the cluster and you've blown several hundred dollars.
    I fused each wire on the harness from the trailer before it gets to the harness on the bike. That way if there is a short then the fuse will blow and not harm the bike. I am going to do a redo on it though and put a fuse block on the trailer so not to have the 4 individual fuses and only have one place to check
    2022 RT Limited , Silver w/ Black and Purple accents

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by campermac View Post
    I fused each wire on the harness from the trailer before it gets to the harness on the bike. That way if there is a short then the fuse will blow and not harm the bike. I am going to do a redo on it though and put a fuse block on the trailer so not to have the 4 individual fuses and only have one place to check
    I would suggest you leave the four individual fuses even with the fuse block. The reason being a likely place for a short, I think, will be in the pigtail between the trailer plug and trailer body. Also, use fast blow, not slow blow on the turn signal wires, and minimum size that will carry the load. That quite possibly will be enough to protect the cluster. A slow blow might allow excess current long enough to damage the cluster.

The chances of having a trailer short and blowing the cluster will be pretty small, but if it should ever happen it'll be a real oh moment!

As for me, I'll stick with an isolator!

2014 Copper RTS