Spyder Garage

Default Stock STS Seat with a New Attitude

Got tired of forward lean from ST seat, so I adjusted its attitude. A new seat would be a cleaner approach, but retirement funding has been a little limiting, so I tweaked the stock STS seat

I used wooden blocks to raise the front of the seat by 1 1/2". The "risers" are cut to the width of the frame, sit on the frame and are held in place by metal guides on the sides. The seat is quite secure and there is no wobble or motion in the seat at all.

When they are in place the seat lock does not work, but the risers can easily be removed at anytime to lock the seat, or if serious speed maneuvering and low CG is desired. I raised the seat 1 1/2" which I think is about the max, but it could be done with a smaller height.

The upside is straighter posture, more leg extension, less back fatigue, cooler lower unit for the bike and myself.

Downside include more helmet buffet over the windshield, and now I need risers due to increased distance to handlebars. Also, need to take the risers off to lock the seat; when parked with risers, need to keep a helmet or bag on the seat to keep it down. Maybe I can figure out a slicker locking solution.

I have found it to be far more comfortable for longer rides.

Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Maybe you could get a piece of metal out from under your seat riser to mate up with the latch? Just a thought. I'll look at mine (2013 STS) and see if I come up with something.
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Default Interesting..!!

do you have a picture with the seat on the risers..?? Seat is still hinged the same way and the passenger switch functions normally..?? You seem to be happy and it helps your ryde...well done.. congrats..!!
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I stopped to feed my Spyder today, so while I had the seat up I took a look see about the latch. It looks like all you would need is a longer bolt to replace the stock one. That is just my first glance, I will explore it more.
    Current ride: 2013 Circuit Yellow ST-S SE5

Spyder Garage

Default STS with emphasis on 'Touring'

Here's a picture of the bike with the riser in place. It has really worked out well. After adding the handlebar risers, the bike feels totally different. I think the bike is really well suited for touring, but still simple enough to be a runabout.

I can tell it corners differently, the small change in CG really causes a lot more front end dip in turns. I think I need to contact BajaRon and get his sway bar.

Also, the gas gauge seems more accurate, does not come on so early. Maybe something due to a cooler gas tank and sensor?

Not sure about the passenger switch, don't know what it actually does, and haven't been riding with Mom, so not sure.

I do not believe the locking bolt would ever line up because the angle is different. With my seat bag on, I am not having any issues. With no bag, just need to pop the seat risers off to lock.

I am really happy with the seat raise and the Custom Dynamics Risers, I just got a new ride.

Attached Images Attached Images

MelloYelloSpyder

Quote Originally Posted by spyderfish View Post
    Here's a picture of the bike with the riser in place. It has really worked out well. After adding the handlebar risers, the bike feels totally different. I think the bike is really well suited for touring, but still simple enough to be a runabout.

I can tell it corners differently, the small change in CG really causes a lot more front end dip in turns. I think I need to contact BajaRon and get his sway bar.

Also, the gas gauge seems more accurate, does not come on so early. Maybe something due to a cooler gas tank and sensor?

Not sure about the passenger switch, don't know what it actually does, and haven't been riding with Mom, so not sure.

I do not believe the locking bolt would ever line up because the angle is different. With my seat bag on, I am not having any issues. With no bag, just need to pop the seat risers off to lock.

I am really happy with the seat raise and the Custom Dynamics Risers, I just got a new ride.

Glad you like it but that sure does not look stable. There has to be some lateral movement from it even if you do not feel it and the CG is changed which means all the dynamics of the bike have changed. It would probably be better to look into someone rebuilding a seat for you that latches in place than to continue riding it this way. Just my two cents